Upgrading my iMac Retina 4k, 21.5-inch, Late 2015

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mico219, Nov 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mico219

Mico219 New Member

Hello guys! I need advice. I'm planning on bringing my EXTREMELY laggy, slow iMac 4k 21.5 inch 2015 to MACSERVEMANILA for an upgrade. The specs that I'm planning for it are 500gb SSD and 16gb RAM. It'll cost me P26,500. Is it worth it? Please let me know coz I'm afraid that one more lag from my iMac and i might punch it.

Thanks in advance!

2. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

for that price... I can get 2TB of SSD / 32GB RAM - and do the upgrades myself :)

check your system first... the lag you are referring to might be a software issue. Try doing a clean install first and see if that fixes the issues you have. But of course, an upgrade is always good :)

Salaryman Ryan likes this.
  3. snipes

snipes Active Member

4. lamski

lamski Well-Known Member

When my late 2009 iMac's hard drive conked out, I bought a compatible replacement drive myself, then had the drive replaced at SencoLink. I just had to pay for labor.
    Based on the video above, your biggest problem would be the replacement tape for the display, so that may add more to the cost.

5. iJav

iJav Active Member

You can try using an external USB 3.0 enclosure fitted with SSD. That has been my setup for the past 6 months after my internal drive broke down. So far so good...

6. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Upgrading the mechanicals would make it faster - but your 2015 iMac should not be that slow. Many of us have older Macs that we wouldn't describe as extremely laggy. Certainly sounds like a software issue that you'd need to resolve first.

Mico219 likes this.
  7. Mico219

Mico219 New Member

My iMac is SOOO SLOOOOW almost unusable na. Before I do hardware upgrade can you suggest anything I should do regarding the software? Scan for malware. I’m not exaggerating when I say it’s almost unusable.

8. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I agree with the others. I suggest you do a clean reinstall first. The sluggishness can be software. My office has the very same model you have, its running High Sierra at 8gb of ram and 1tb regular hard disk, although not a speed demon its comfortable enough to use without issues.

Two other possible causes of sluggishness is a full to capacity hard disk or a hard disk that is about to die. Just to be safe, always have backup.

The 26,500 upgrade price includes the ssd, ram, and service charge correct? If so that is still a bit expensive.

Zoey likes this.