upgrading macbook HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by moipogi, Aug 14, 2006.

1. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Re: Help on Macbook HDD upgrade. ..

Just to be clear, the MacBook will ONLY accept SATA drives, it will not accept PATA/IDE drives. That said, PATA vs. SATA.

2. h.chua

h.chua Active Member

oh, sorry for the mistake. thank you very much.

3. johnj2803

johnj2803 Active Member

sana HDD changes can be as easy in the older powerbooks :(

4. Lakan

Lakan Member

Thanks Hannibal for the user-friendly step-by-step instructions. I successfully cloned my HD into my Lacie brick 80GB USB2 external HD and tried using it as booting drive. I used the CCC; tried the Disk Utility>Restore but an error always appear. Was able to resolve the error with CCC.
    Thanks again, Hannibal!

5. hannibal

hannibal Guest

you're welcome Lakan. do you mind sharing to us what the error was when you tried the Restore function in Disk Utility? maybe we can solve it here and others can learn from it. thanks.

6. Lakan

Lakan Member

Here's my exploration following your instructions:
    I used the Disk Utility for the first time to erase all files I copied before to my external HD. Perfect. No problem at all about this.
    To create a clone of my hard disk, I actually tried using the CCC first and the problem I encountered was that I couldn't see my external HD in the list of target disk. It only showed my internal HD and the iDisk. ???
    I was clueless so I turned to Disk Utility Restore. I dragged the icons of my internal HD to source and my external HD to destination, clicked erase and then restore. It started restoring then afterwards an error window appeared, saying not in directory something. Again I'm clueless so I tried the steps again several times but to no avail.
    Then at the point of giving up, I decided to rename my external HD in the desktop by just clicking the title and renaming it.
    Then I just thought to give CCC another try. And voila! now I see my external HD (renamed) in the list of source and target disk. Followed your instructons using CCC. Clicked Clone (of course, after proving password permission). It started cloning. Then a window appeared again (indicating error) with option to stop or ignore. I chose Ignore and cloning continued until completion.
    Then opened the System Prefereces> Startup Disk. Saw already my internal and external booting drives. Chose the external and restatrted my Mac. I was able to boot using my Lacie brick USB2 exteral drive!

7. kiyobi

kiyobi Member

this is very useful info.

say i plan to upgrade (from current 80gb, 40gb for os x & 40gb for windows xp under bootcamp) to a higher capacity drive, could i go through the cloning process described by hannibal and increase the partition allocated by windows?

8. phantom

phantom Member

kinda off topic pero somewhat related.....

i have a macbook w/c boots wondoze thru bootcamp, my question is, is it possible to clone my windoze partition to an external HD, erase the XP partition from my blackbook and boot the usual way when i want to boot XP from the cloned external HD?

thanks. :)

9. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

From Apple Support:

I have more than one hard drive, can I install Windows XP on any drive?

With Boot Camp Beta 1.1 or later, yes, but you can install only one Windows partition on any of your computer volumes. The Setup Assistant will allow you to partition drives, or to install Windows XP on an entire drive if it does not contain Mac OS X. Note: You cannot install Windows XP on an external hard drive.

10. phantom

phantom Member

@marvinp

thanks

11. wchan

wchan Member

To Hannibal and Moipogi,

I want to upgrade my HD also and have read how easy it is to upgrade it. My question is my macbook has both Tiger OS and Windows in it. When you did the cloning step, does it clone both the Mac and Windows drive? Or do I have to run a separate Windows cloning utility for my Windows drive?

Thanks

12. moipogi

moipogi Member

Haven't done that, but intuitively, Super Duper clones the entire HDD, so it may be reasonable to assume that it clones both the XP and OSX partitions.

But I may be wrong. . .

13. h.chua

h.chua Active Member

just a shout out question to all of you who bought the 200gig or 120gig HD from tpc. how is it? any problems so far? because i don't want the 1 week warranty to haunt me so i need to have feedback if it wold really work. thanks!

14. tech.junkie

tech.junkie Member

hi guys. ive upgraded my HDD to 120GB close to a month ago. just wanna share my HDD upgrade experience:

1) i bought a 120GB toshiba laptop HDD SATA for P4200 & SATA enclosure for P600 both brandnew at tipidpc.
    2) i inserted the external HDD into my macbook's USB port.
    3) i used superduper! to backup my HDD contents to the new 1.
    4) i removed the orig HDD from the macbook & replaced it w/ the new 1.
    5) i placed the orig HDD inside the SATA enclosure & use it as my external HDD.
    6) i transferred media files from my desktop PC to the macbook.

15. dvsadvocate

dvsadvocate Active Member

Good question wchan. Iv been thinking about the same thing too!

16. moipogi

moipogi Member

Mine seems to be working just fine. I'm just waiting for Fujitsu's 300GB 2.5 HDD to come out, para upgrade ulit!

Buy from the guys who have lotsa positive feedback sa tipidpc. No guarantee of the product, but at least they have a track record.

17. gjtech

gjtech Member

just upgraded from 60 to 160 gig through the usb2 erase-superduper route. happy with the extra space, though there seems to be a 10-second lag during startup after the gray screen. my hdd brand is seagate momentus.

18. cryptonomikon

cryptonomikon Member

Havent tried starting up from a USB drive, but it ought to be available via System Preferences > Startup Disk. Or you can also choose the startup disk by holding down the option key before powering up.

* * * AFTER SOME GOOGLING * * *
    It looks like you can boot from a USB Drive but Apple discourages it. Some readings below:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...boot-from-external-firewire-or-usb-drive.html

Here's another link on this topic: http://www.tuaw.com/2006/02/08/intel-macs-can-boot-from-usb-drives/

#58 cryptonomikon, Jul 21, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  19. cryptonomikon

cryptonomikon Member

#59 cryptonomikon, Jul 21, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  20. Satoshi

Satoshi Member

I inserted my new hard rive not knowing that the metal enclosure of the old hard drive should be attached to the new one and I can't pull it out because there's no pull tab. does anyone know how I can remove it?