upgrading macbook HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by moipogi, Aug 14, 2006.

1. moipogi

moipogi Member

Help on Macbook HDD upgrade. ..

HI guys. I'm planning to upgrade my macbook's HDD soon. 60GB is too small for my plan to encode my baby's mini-DV files via imovie and idvd.

My question is:

Is there a program that lets you copy your current HDD's contents to your new drive, such that you don't need to reinstall your apps again? All you have to do is remove the old drive and put in the new drive, then you're done.

Planning to have it done in an apple service center, baka istudio or ynzal. I've swapped HDD in my old PCs before, pero since my macbook is still under warranty, I'm a little insecure about doing it myself.

Baka may taga istudio or ynzal diyan, hingi ako discount sa HDD (hehehe). . .

2. Maverick

Maverick Active Member

Re: Help on Macbook HDD upgrade. ..

you can use either superduper or carbon copy cloner. though, i prefer the former.

3. ditoy_eagle

ditoy_eagle Well-Known Member

Don't forget you will need an external enclosure where you put your previous 2.5" SATA hard drive, sadly only USB 2 drives are sold locally around P1000. In V-Mall there is a store daw that sells a firewire version but for almost P7000 expensive.

4. Maccess

Maccess Active Member

I would just get an external firewire enclosure and place a 300+GB 3.5 drive in there. A 3.5" drive offers better performance than a 2.5" drive. Considering the firewire overhead, you'll get similar or better performance from an external 3.5" FW drive as your internal SATA.

You wouldn't want to be bringing all your priceless data including the baby pics in your laptop.

5. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

But too heavy to place in your laptop bag, I suppose?

Of course the 3.5" enclosure is a given, for home use. But you still need additional hard disk space while on the road.

BobT

6. moipogi

moipogi Member

I actually have an external 300GB external HDD where I place my backups, as well as DVD backups (burned at 2x to ensure readability). So, my baby pics are hopefully safe with my triple-redundant backup (laptop-external HDD-DVD). Wag lang masunog yung bahay ko. :)

Assuming use the DVD cloning software, the best way, I take it is to send my HDD files to my external drive, and then copy it to the new drive when it's installed in my mac? Or just to make my life easier, reinstall na lang all the old apps?

7. hannibal

hannibal Guest

if you've got the extra time and patience, i suggest you go the longer route of re-installing your apps and other files. there's an obvious disadvantage of course but it may also be advantageous in the sense that you will be able to get rid of inconsistencies (permissions, prefs, etc) from your old HD and start anew. whatever you decide, good luck.

8. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I really don't think it's worth his time, he won't get any benefit out of it since he's restoring it in the same machine. He's not even upgrading his OS, just installing a larger hard disk. moipogi, unless you're experiencing problems with your current set up, the best thing to do is use SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable clone of your current hard disk, as Maverick suggested.

After you (it's very easy to upgrade your MacBook's hard disk, as easy as installing RAM) or the service center installs the new hard disk, this is how you'll restore your system:
    1. Install your old hard disk in an external 2.5" SATA enclosure with Firewire.
    2. Connect the enclosure to your MacBook via Firewire.
    3. Restart the MacBook while holding the option key down then select to startup from the external hard disk.
    4. Start Disk Utility (in your Applications -> Utilities folder) and click on the Restore tab. From the list on the left pane, drag your external volume to the Source field and the currently empty internal volume to the Destination field and click Restore.

#8 PatrickGaerlan, Aug 14, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  9. moipogi

moipogi Member

Thanks for the tips Patrick. I have some questions pa:

1) I found a SATA USB enclosure. While I've read that PPC macs can't boot via USB, I've also read that Mactels can actually boot using USB. Has anybody confirmed this? If macbooks can boot via USB2, I might get this instead of a much more expensive Firewire drive.

2) I've also found a 120GB Fujitsu 5400rpm SATA drive in tipidpc for P5k, a much lower price than the P10.5k quoted by iStudio and Ynzal. While the drive is just 5400rpm, is this compatible with macbooks? Any special hard drive config by the drives recommended by Ynzal and iStudio, apart from them being Seagates (like different screw holes, etc)?

I might go with this combo if its compatible, since its P5k cheaper than buying the drive from iStudio and Ynzal.

10. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

Re drive configuration, you just have to make sure it's a 2.5" SATA drive, no other special specifications. Check that tipidpc isn't quoting you a 3.5" drive. Also, how long is the warranty on that drive? They should come with 3-year warranties.

Re booting from a USB drive, if no one else can give a definite answer, I'll try making a bootable backup of the MacBook and see if it will boot via USB.

11. moipogi

moipogi Member

Yup, its a laptop SATA drive. As far as the warranty is concerned, its a new unit.

12. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

I'm also drooling on that 120gb on tipidpic. :)

13. muks

muks Member

so how's the 5k fujitsu SATA drive?

14. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

warranty of the drives being sold in TPC is only one week, hence the cheap price... it's a big risk if you ask me since you can never tell immediately if you got a lemon. harddrives have moving parts and is subjected to wear and tear effect over time... if for some reason it broke down/crashed after a month or two then you wasted a good P5k.

i always suggset that get full warranty support on a hardware that is mostly likely to breakdown due to the moving parts it has.

15. moipogi

moipogi Member

Actually, I looked at websites in the States, and the particular Fujitsu drive being sold in tipidpc has the same equivalent price (P5k thereabouts), so I guess the sellers are just selling their wares at parity to other markets.

As for risk, well, most HDD are sold in brick and mortar stores with just 1 year warranty, and they almost always breakdown after that. Knock on wood, never had a drive fail on me within warranty.

Di ko pa binibili yung HDD. Still thinking long and hard about the decision, especially in mark_17's point on the 1-week warranty. But will likely upgrade my HDD in any case, since I just have 20GB free in my macbook after all the programs are loaded in. Goes down to below 10GB pag ni-load ko na yung iMovie project ko. May news din na Fujitsu will be launching a 200GB HDD by this year, pero 4200RPM lang, which is slower than the stock macbook drive.

Hayy. . . choices, choices. . .

16. muks

muks Member

so has anyone tried to boot via USB in a macbook or intel mac?

17. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

Actually, I think the 3-year warranty is now the industry standard for hard disks. Those are the warranties on the 4 Seagate hard disks I bought in the last year.

18. dominiquejames

dominiquejames Active Member

If you have a .Mac account, it may be possible to use the free Backup 3 software that can back-up your entire HDD to an external drive and restore everything when the new HDD arrives.

19. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

Sorry it took so long for me to try. Yup, the MacBook can indeed boot from an external USB drive. I just verified it now using my wife's MacBook :)

20. muks

muks Member

thanks patrick

now I can settle for the cheaper USB sata enclosure hehe