Upgrading HDD of MBP will void ext warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by King, Nov 16, 2009.

1. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

I have a MBP with a functioning NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor and I would like to upgrade its 200GB HDD to the WD Scorpio Blue 640 GB SATA Hard Drives ( WD6400BEVT ).

My question is would doing the upgrade myself void the three year extended warranty for potential NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor defects? Would having an Apple service center do the upgrade not void this free warranty? Also the body has one ugly cosmetic dent on its bottom but the machine works perfectly. :(

I bought my 9.5mm tall WD6400BEVT from Amazon as well as my pre-Unibody early 2008 Macbook Pro. I received my MBP on 3/12/08 so my coverage will end on 2011 pa.

The guide to upgrade your MBP's HDD can be seen at http://www.ifixit.com/pdf/guide_670_en.pdf

Just for fun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREFfB0TcJM&feature=player_embedded

#1 King, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  2. lawrencebosox45

lawrencebosox45 Active Member

your computer is still covered by the warranty, but you're OEM HD will only be covered not the new HD you installed. same with any ram upgrades too.

3. King

My concern is that the HDD is not a user-upgradeable part for pre-unibody MBPs. And I know Apple is very diligent about these types of modifications.

4. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Upgrading the HD yourself won't void your warranty but if you break something while upgrading that might be a problem. I understand your concern as the pre-unibody Macbook Pros are really tough cookies to upgrade and easy to misplace a circuit. If you are worried about it why not have your Macbook Pro upgraded in a authorized Apple repair shop like Digital Hub?

5. mysterio

mysterio PhilMUG Addict Member

Better have it done by an Apple certified repair shop. Spend a small amount rather than risk the warranty that could potentially save you so much more.

6. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

Get the upgrade at Digital Hub.
    They will install the HDD and transfer your data over for free. :)

7. csc2ky

csc2ky Member

If you know your ways around laptops and can follow the guide, it is definitely doable. As long as you do not break anything during the swap, your warranty will remain intact. I've done this before on your model and you need to take your time and follow all the information rigorously on how to open and close the unit properly. The safest way to do this has been mentioned already numerous times. For the peace of mind, have it done at an authorized service provider.

I have doubts about your warranty coverage, when it comes to the dent you mentioned. Apple has been known to reject warranty claims, if there are visible signs of accidental damage (dents, deep scratches, etc.). If the dent is remarkable and in the right place, Apple may use it against you as the culprit for any defects that occur with your unit. Mind posting a picture of the dent?

8. King

Neither the WDC Distributor or Digital Hub have anything larger than 500GB. I also ordered a 1TB for my unibody. :)

9. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

Make sure that the 1TB will fit inside the unibody.
    I've read somewhere that the 1TB mobile drive is a bit thicker than it's lower capacity counterparts.

10. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

If the HDD of the MBP isn't user upgradeable, and something goes wrong with your upgrade then yes, unfortunately, your warranty will be voided. Same thing goes for upgrading the HDD on an iMac.

If Apple doesn't give instructions on how to upgrade the drive in the included instruction booklet, like it did for the White MacBook that I own, then it's not meant to be upgraded by the user and doing so will void your warranty if things go wrong. Best to go to Digital Hub to have it upgraded by the Authorized Apple Service People. That way you're still covered.

I suggest having them just install the drive and you do the data transfer so that you'll get back your MBP quicker.

11. King

AFAIK all unibody Macs can handle 12.5mm tall drives. That's why I got the 640GB for my pre-unibody MBP as it is just 9.5mm tall.

Really wish Digital Walker had the 1TB, 750GB and 640GB models for sale. I would've preferred to deal with Charlie.

12. csc2ky

csc2ky Member

At this point I feel 500GB are already pretty huge for a laptop. Also from the point that I need to backup that huge drive as well. Laptop drives tend to brake down more easily than their desktop counterparts and loosing a huge amount of data is a nightmare. Maybe an external hard drive is something that will work better in the end than a huge HDD inside the laptop.

If the prices of those SSDs get lower it will become a great alternative as well. Also people may consider if they really need the optical drive in their units. I do not know if they are available locally, but those HDD/SSD mounts that you can replace with your Superdrive look pretty sweet as well. One SSD for the boot drive / apps, and another HDD for the rest that does not require the speed would be super sweet. :)

13. King

That's what they said about 20GB drives a few years ago when 100GB drives were bleeding edge. ;) Same thing with 2GB memory cards when they sold for $400 and 512MB were $100. Regardless of capacity so long as you have a solid backup scheme your limitation becomes buying power.

I have a 2TB external drive for Time Machine and another 2TB external drive for Aperture. I love traveling light and having to compromise by bringing an external drive is a no go.

I see SSD being viable for my requirements when they equal the carrying capacity. Swapping out the Superdrive goes beyond what I want to do. :eek:

14. mig

mig Active Member

You sure about this? I thought only the ones with the non-replaceable battery can support the 12.5mm drives. I was looking at the 640gb one at newegg, but the 750gb one is available from Amazon at the same price. Both $140. Hmm...