Upgrade Imac 27 inch, late 2013 model to SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wena73, Sep 18, 2018.

1. wena73

wena73 Member

Im planning to upgrade My 27 inch Imac's 1TB hdd to 512gb SSD.
    What brand and how much ?
    Any recommendations where to buy the 512gb SSD and where to have it installed?
    Appreciate the replies. :)

2. gogetit

gogetit Active Member

I had a late 2012 iMac 21.5 whose HD failed. Nomer of Ynzal suggested to have the dead HD changed (couldn't be revived) to an SSD. Since was I planning to upgrade to a 27" iMac when it comes out in 2018, I opted for just a 256 GB Crucial SSD from Ynzal that Nomer Installed. I just have my apps and some important files on the SSD while I have USB Externals for other files. It was a good thing that I had Time Machine backup before my drive failed. The difference is amazing and my apps now open with such speed. Call up Ynzal to ask what what they recommend. By the way, that upgrade cost me P 7. 5 K for the SSD and P 2 K for labor and materials. It took about 4 days since I brought it in during the National Heroes' Day holiday last August. Note: I never knew that you could just drag and drop apps and files from the Time Machine backup onto the SSD and the USBs. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Pupkin and wena73 like this.
  3. wena73

wena73 Member

Thanks for the response. very helpful info.. I will inquire with Ynzal soon..
    Looking forward to change mine to ssd.. :)

4. wulf

wulf Well-Known Member

Considered this when my 27" iMac's hd failed. Brought it to Ynzal but apparently, SSDs need a mount or bracket which wasn't readily available, so I went with a hybrid 2tb 7200rpm instead. Not quite an ssd, but faster than stock. If you have the time and budget allows, go for the ssd+bracket. Just know you have an option =) was tempted to wait for the Black Friday sale for maybe a 1tb SSD, but was having issues with my Mbp as well, had to make a decision.

wena73 likes this.
  5. jays0n

jays0n New Member

This is what I did when I upgraded my iMac:

Bought an SSD + External Enclosure, installed OS on SSD and made it as my startup disk.

250 GB Samsung 850 EVO = 4.2k
    External Enclosure = 1.2k

Pupkin likes this.
  6. wena73

wena73 Member

So I would need and SSD with bracket. Got to check if the ssd im eyeing on has a bracket already which is the Samsung 860 Evo 2.5 ssd..
    thanks for the response.

7. wena73

wena73 Member

Im also planning to get a Samsung ssd.. I inquired at BTB and the installation of SSD is P1,500. Plus the OS another P1,500. if i remember correctly.

8. wulf

wulf Well-Known Member

9. jays0n

jays0n New Member

I didn't bother to have my ssd installed at the time because I was already planning to upgrade my iMac.

I bet you can install the OS on your own. It's easy. There's a lot of tutorials on Youtube.

wena73 likes this.
  10. wulf

wulf Well-Known Member

just bring it to Nomer/Ynzal, they'll take care of your machine. OS won't come at an extra charge, it's standard

wena73 likes this.
  11. wena73

wena73 Member

I called ynzal and they said if my imac late 2013 is the thin glass model they wont be able to install it.. That I would need to bring it to a service center to have the ssd installed..

12. wulf

wulf Well-Known Member

hmmm, mine's a 2013. Call them again and ask to talk to Nomer just to be sure. because he was recommending the same for me, only they didn't have the bracket.

wena73 likes this.