Upgrade HDD or buy an external?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by mmarc, Nov 1, 2009.

1. mmarc

mmarc Member

Guys need your inputs on whether I should upgrade the HDD of my Macbook from 250gb to 500gb or just buy an external 500gb? upgrading the HDD would cost me 500 more but price is not my consideration.

anyone can give me the pros and cons of either setup?

thanks a lot. :)

2. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Internal:

Bring your info with you.
    You can enclose old internal in an external enclosure and have the best of both worlds for back-up.

External:

separate physical drive you can keep in a safe place (safe or desk) full of back-ups
    can be used to offload information not needed when traveling.
    chances are it will be cheaper per gig

If you're not using more than 70% of your current internal hard drive, I recommend you get the new internal drive, copy your info to your new internal, then put your old internal into an external enclosure and keep it in a safe place.

That way you get bigger space in your laptop and can still use your old internal as an external.

3. raze94

raze94 Member

i would upgrade to an internal 500 and use your 250 as the external.

4. angelomb3

angelomb3 Member

i assume you already have your programs in your 250gb internal drive..id use the 500gb as external drive and use it as my data hard disk..but thats just me..for the pros hmmm well you just have to plug your 500gb external and your good to go

5. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

I'll go for the 500gb inside your mac, with the 250gb as an external drive. Over time, you'll appreciate you had more HDD in there, especially when you accumulate more music, photo and video files. You also won't regret having that 500gb in there when you are in a rush and the external drive was forgotten/an extra baggage to carry.

500 pesos extra cost is worth it if you are a very busy person. But if you have the time (& skills), do the transfer of files/OS (use firewire target disk mode & Disk Utility/SuperDuper) and HDD replacement yourself, you'll appreciate more Apple engineering... :)

if you plan to upgrade your mb however to a mbp 13" in the near future (like this year up to January), I'd keep the 500gb on hold, will save it to upgrade the HDD of the upcoming new mbp 13".

#5 macdrive007, Nov 1, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  6. mmarc

mmarc Member

thanks for the info guys.. will there be a difference in terms of battery consumption if i upgrade my internal HDD?

no plans of upgrading to a mbp just got this macbook unibody last january. :)

7. jappy

jappy Member

what i did was to upgrade to 500gb.
    gave the 250gb to another mbp.
    got the 160gb from that mbp as an external flash drive.

upgrade to 500gb
    pro
    you got a bigger hdd available directly using your mb.
    cons
    500 more?!?

500gb external drive
    pro
    you can keep it safe at home.
    can be a very large backup drive for you mb
    cons
    hassle to physically connect it to the mb whenever you need to use it.

hope this helps

8. macdrive007

basing it on my upgraded HDD on my former powerbook 12", there might be a slight hit in battery life, but still within normal averages. if its any consolation, your macbook unibody still allows you quick access to replace the battery, unlike all the current models of mac laptops. try also tweaking the Energy Saver settings to extend your battery life.

Important Note:
    the macbook unibody does not have a firewire port. firewire is needed for quick backing up/copying of OS/files to another HDD, it is also more reliable than USB 2.0 for simultaneous transfer of big files/large quantity of files. hence:
    1. pay that 500 pesos for that HDD replacement and copying/cloning of OS/files. OS X USB-only cloning is a bag of hurt.
    2. using 500gb through a USB external drive is a little bit unwieldy - I can just imagine it would take patience to transfer big files simultaneously through USB. Use that 500gb internally to keep those big files in your mac & the 250gb external HDD for backup while you are resting for the night...

#8 macdrive007, Nov 1, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  9. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Go for the internal upgrade. The external is just an added load, whether you are traveling or not. The enclosure of the replaced 250 is perfect. Although it is recommended to equal your internal capacity when you setup you external as a time machine backup.

Just to give you scenario:

My MBP 15" got upgraded 2 days ago from 120 to 320. Enclosed the 120(which i have no use for now)
    But I have a WD 320 as my time machine as well.

Its really up to you though after all.

10. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Go for the 500GB internal, it's the most convenient.

11. nre

nre Member

My rule of thumb is to first get adequate back-up for my internal to safeguard against drive failure and data loss. So I guess I'd first go for an external. But if your budget is adequate, then by all means go for both a 500GB internal AND a corresponding (500GB+) external back-up.

What to do with your 250GB former internal? Well, if you get, say, a 1TB external back-up, then you have a total of 750GB (500+250) on which to store your primary data. Hope this helps!

12. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Take note, an internal 500gb hd will make your Mac become more responsive and faster for read and write tasks such as boot up, saving and opening pictures or documents. 500gb hd have more data density thus faster performance.

13. mmarc

mmarc Member

thanks guys, I'm going for the upgrade. :)

14. joy08

joy08 Member

Upgrade your hdd into 500gb then use the old one for backing up of your important files or try to sell it.:)

15. fr.ankie

fr.ankie Member

just upgrade to a 500 gb and use the other as an external. thats what i did

16. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I'm also running low on space on my internal 250gb. I initially wanted to take it to a store to have it upgraded, but I'm concerned about security issues if they do the transferring for me.

Should I just buy a 500gb hd and do the transfer myself? How hard/easy is it?

17. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

Use superduper since their trial version can clone your whole old hard drive to the new bigger one. and then do the hdd upgrade

18. macdrive007

the HDD replacement is rather easy with the help of ifixit.

it's the HDD cloning that is rather tricky. if you have SuperDuper!, it is painless. :)
    but if you use Disk Utility, it will need a little bit of skill in making a disk image and restoring from a disk image, using firewire target disk mode, knowing where to place the image file (a big enough HDD to contain your former HDD OS/data), and booting from your OS X Snow Leopard/Leopard DVD.

I haven't tried using Disk Utility to RESTORE from an actual OS HDD, have done it only from an image file.

19. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

If you buy the 500HDD from DH GH, Julius will do the cloning for you, while waiting for it coz 80-100g of contents take about 2-3hrs, you can shop around and look for an enclosure. Isn't that cool?

20. ako_si_Mac

ako_si_Mac Member

Sorry if this is a dumb question: Can I run an OS and install and run normal/regular software (e.g., not a portable Firefox) in an external HDD?