Upcoming Cars

Discussion in 'General OT' started by bribri, Jan 12, 2011.

1. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

I beg to differ. This is precisely why Toyota is resting on its laurels when it comes to competing in feature parity with latest cars of the same price. There comes a time where hassle is equated to lack of features for its price

Not everyone cares about resale at 1.3M esp if you're getting a reliable car for at least 6 years while enjoying features that Toyota didn't offer.

Quest4dgoodlife and Godfather like this.
  2. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Be sure to take a look at the Yaris Cross also coming out soon, which reportedly has a 30mm higher ground clearance than its kuya Corolla cross. Of course, 30mm matters little but still. :) For me, I like the looks of the Yaris Cross over the Corolla Cross, as the former looks more unified and better thought-out design wise.

The Toyota Yaris Cross Just Upstaged the Corolla Cross

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course, don't forget the Mitsubishi Xpander Cross while you're at it. Unfortunately this one is a bit more expensive than its non-crossover twin. Boy, the word 'Cross' sure is the hip new marketing word for 2020. :p Innovation in naming is not one of these Japanese automakers' strong suits.

[​IMG]

2020 Mitsubishi Xpander Cross

Sunil_K and raypin like this.
  3. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

4. Godfather

This is exactly my mindset when I chose the Ford Everest Trend over the Toyota Fortuner three years ago. The Everest drives better, has superior suspension and is fully loaded with the kits that matter. It had so many features that the near equivalent Fortuner lacked, and would have cost an arm and a leg to have. Three years later, I still think I made the right decision.

That said, Toyota is the king, and it knows it. They've been short-changing the carbuyer since as far back as the 80s, and it seems to be a company model that works great for them. So don't hold your breath about the Circled T offering better features any time soon. They are so kuripot with them toys that it's become a running joke.

But this scrimping on features seems to be a phenomenon (especially) exclusive to Toyota Philippines. In other countries, the features are as competitive as the next Japanese car.

rdy0329, leninmac, gaol and 1 other person like this.
  5. ransom

ransom PhilMUG Addict Member

I don't think we're actually disagreeing. Like I said, the fact that Toyota has been able to rest on its laurels for so long and rule the market while offering unimpressive (spec-wise) vehicles says a lot about the competition.

6. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

@Godfather hoping to get your reco, too, Mark, thanks!

7. Godfather

Sure. Of course it depends on what type of vehicle you are you looking for.

For sedan, like @raypin said, I would pick the Honda Civic. It is still the coolest looking compact four-door in the market right now, in my opinion. It drives great and you get a lot of bang for buck in terms of build quality and features.

For a people mover, my vote would have to go to the Mitsubishi Xpander. Sure its looks may not age gracefully, say five years from now, but live in the moment! It's incredbily daring in the sheet metal, and the interior design is top-notch. The Suzuki Ertiga comes in at a very close second.

For crossover, I like the Geely Coolray. You get a pimped-up crossover with technology that you usually have to pay 3 to 4 times for in other brands. It's an untested Chinese brand from the land of knock-offs, but in my week with this car, every day of commute was just unabatedly luxurious. It really made me think about buying one, and I don't even need a compact SUV right now. This pandemic has me thinking less of the future anyway.

If you want a bit more brand recognition, the Ford Territory in Trend trim is another crossover to look at.

Hope this helped! :)

Sunil_K, Mykolant, ransom and 2 others like this.
  8. ice

quick question... don't you find the 4A/T of the Xpander (same with the Rush and Ertiga) is too dated?

Wife loves the Xpander, however I'm asking her to give the BR-V another look (even if I hate the 3rd row bench) because it at least uses a CVT

9. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes thanks! So far the Civic is P1 among the recommendations.
    Have not bought a Mitsubishi since, too long for me to recall.
    That's two reco's for the Geely Coolray, interesting, though I am unfamiliar with the brand.
    Yeah, you and I are Ford owners. Still have my Explorer Titanium. Still looks and drives like new.

Godfather likes this.
  10. Godfather

In an ideal world, the Xpander and Ertiga would have CVT, but when I drove both vehicles, I honestly didn't miss it. Attaching herein my review for both the Mitsubishi Xpander and Suzuki Ertiga for your reference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The BR-V and its Mobilio twin were just ok to me when I reviewed them. They definitely felt lower tier than the Xpander and Ertiga, which surprisingly had better interior design and feel. I think the BR-V and Mobilio are more akin to the Toyota Rush and Avanza, while the Xpander and Ertiga are a bit more premium despite the somewhat similar price tiers.

EDIT: Oops I can't seem to upload higher resolution images here. I can email you the PDF file of both reviews if you want.

Attached Files:

#470 Godfather, Sep 7, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    ransom, raypin and SE20 like this.
  11. ice

Thanks, and PM sent :D

Removing the "Cross" from the choices...

Is the Xpander GLS A/T (1,128,000) a better choice compared to the BR-V V CVT (1,155,000)? - I personally love how the Xpander's seats fold flat.

Wife requires a reverse cam and Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. So looking at the Xpander GLS' brochure, looks like I will be paying extra for that.

Lastly... Does any of these MPVs (Xpander, Rush, BR-V etc) have a 2nd evaporator for the rear vents? or are they just blowers? - I can see conflicting info on this.

SE20 likes this.
  12. Godfather

P1310507.JPG P1310514.JPG P1310521.JPG P1310523.JPG
    I would pick the Xpander over the BR-V any day. Not that the Honda is that bad, but the Xpander just looks and feels better put together.

I think the second row vents are just blowers. But don't quote me on that. Best to ask the Mitsubishi salesperson.

About those fold flat seats, this is what it looks like when all seats are up, and when they are folded flat.

#472 Godfather, Sep 7, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  13. ice

been doing a lot of research on those vents and all I'm getting are conflicting information, will have to visit the dealership myself to check :)

thanks again...

Godfather likes this.
  14. ice

15. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

+1 on this :) Xpander over BRV. and brv is out for few years now maybe Honda brv will facelift soon? and yes Xpander looks better inside too.

Seen the Geely coolray selling for 9XX - 1,1m inside looks nice. but i'm not yet sure about reliability (long run). Heck even honda's now a days has bad reliability :(

#475 Don Pao, Oct 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    Godfather likes this.
  16. piedad

piedad Well-Known Member

C9 likes this.
  17. ice

18. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Ferrari Philippines launches the popular F8 Spider and the 812 GTS, basically the convertible versions of the F8 Tributo and the 812 Superfast.

19. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

The 2021 Toyota Fortuner.

20. ice