Unlock your Globe or Smart locked iPhone for use with a different or international SIM

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by Adarna, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

I am posting this as there is a flurry of renewals to the iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X from Globe & Smart.

Neither network has any financial incentive to let you know of this FREE service.

Smart & Globe allows you to unlock your iPhone for use with a different or international SIM once your contract with them has been completed.

For the process:

1. Be ready with the IMEI of the iPhone. You can find this by dialing *#06# or tapping Settings>General>About and scroll down for the IMEI then 'Copy'.

2. Contact Globe or Smart through hotline, email or twitter once your contract with them has been completed.

3. Provide your IMEI and once your account is verified as completed, keep your reference number for future use.

4. Once your request has been processed, the agent will tell you to wait for five (5) days for the processing. Usually, when account verification has no issue, an agent will call you 2-3 days informing you that the unlocking has been processed.

5. Once unlocked, complete the unlocking process by backing up and restoring your iPhone using iTunes.

For further reading: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201328

Copy & Edited from https://community.globe.com.ph/thread/80238

Shadowfox, lsalapare, mokmoki and 3 others like this.
  2. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

No need to backup and restore using iTunes. My iPhone 6+ was unlocked yesterday by Globe. I just had to insert a non-Globe sim and re-activate with my Apple ID.

Pupkin and magnus like this.
  3. robbiembp

robbiembp Member

Has anyone tried this with Smart? My contract is ending in a few days...

jcool likes this.
  4. neilrg

neilrg Well-Known Member

Smart also unlocks once out of contract.

jcool and robbiembp like this.
  5. robbiembp

robbiembp Member

I just spoke with Smart's customer service hotline agent. It seems I can no longer do it over the phone. I was advised to go to a Smart Store/Shop, and "request for approval" to have my iphone unlocked. Is this for real?? The agent said unlocking is subject to approval under a certain criteria/requirement he doesn't even know...

Anyone here tried this recently?

6. neilrg

neilrg Well-Known Member

I’m not familiar with Smart’s unlocking process. Try asking them on Twitter or call and talk to another agent before going to the store. It’s a very simple process they shouldn’t require you to go to the store.

Adarna likes this.
  7. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

The hotline agent may be ignorant on iPhone unlocking or it could be Smart's way of stonewalling you.

8. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Don't have first hand experience with Smart but i can confirm Globe can unlock over a phone call.

Leo

Pupkin likes this.
  9. amieldh

amieldh Active Member

I'll be leaving for Thailand this May and my Globe postpaid plan for my iPhone 7 isn't due until November 11, 2018. Is it possible for me to pay the total remaining amount (until November 2018) and have my iPhone unlocked so that it will be unlocked before I leave for Thailand? Any inputs are welcomed. Thank you!

10. magnus

magnus Active Member

You'll pay for the preterm fee. 49k less cash out divide by 24mos multiply by remaining contract period.
    That would be your estimated preterm fee. Then request for unlocking.

You can verify that.

11. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

it would be cheaper to get another phone than paying the fees.

12. widowmaker

widowmaker Member

Had mine recently unlocked by Smart. Just head to a business center and make a request, they will have you sign a form. Upon verification, your handset will be unlocked in about a week (as in my case, since I requested it after Christmas sandwiched to the New Year holiday).

13. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

Not sure if the answer is too late but it might help other Smart subscribers here so I'm answering anyway. I had my 6s Plus unlocked by Smart last December. Yes, I went to a Smart Wireless Center to request for it. The requirements/criteria are:

1. A written and signed request to unlock your out-of-contract phone. It has to be a hard copy - they didn't honor my email
    2. They will check your phone if it's out of contract already
    3. There shouldn't be any unpaid balances

I got an SMS that my phone was unlocked 2 days after submitting the request letter.

marlon arvesu likes this.
  14. amieldh

amieldh Active Member

Called Globe (211) earlier today and got a quotation for my pre-termination fee for May (6 months before my contract ends). The calculation is Handset Price (iPhone 7 32GB = P42,800) minus Cash Out (P14,400) divided by contract duration (24 months) multiplied by number of months remaining in the contract (my case 6 months, by May) plus P550 for the admin fee.. Not a bad deal since I will only be paying P7,650 for my pre-termination fee, better than buying an unlocked phone since my iPhone 7 is still in good condition. :)

#14 amieldh, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  15. marlon arvesu

marlon arvesu New Member

ask ko lang yung iphone x kasi bigay sakin ng tito ko galing smart.. e hindi ko alam kung kelan matapos contract niya possible ba mapa unlocked ko siya?? salamat

16. marlon arvesu

marlon arvesu New Member

ask ko lang yung iphone x kasi bigay sakin ng tito ko galing smart.. e hindi ko alam kung kelan matapos contract niya possible ba mapa unlocked ko siya?? salamat

17. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

Ask your Tito and not us when the contract will end.

Assuming he got it within this month then it will end before 18 February 2020.

magnus and amieldh like this.
  18. emiaj12

emiaj12 Member

Hey Guys! So I had my previous iPhone 6plus unlocked by Globe after my contract. After a few months I had it replaced/refurbished due to "touch issue". I just found out that the replacement I got is locked under Globe telecom (Only globe sim works on the new phone). I called Globe but they are unable to unlock my "replacement phone" because what they have on record is my old iphone 6plus details. Anyone knows a workaround? TIA

19. neilrg

neilrg Well-Known Member

Go to your service center and ask them why is that so. Replacement phones should have the same unlock status as your old phone (they can see it on Apple servers). Or ask Apple support.

20. emiaj12

emiaj12 Member

Thanks Neil! currently completing some docs as proof that what I have is a replacement of Globe issued iPhone before I visit the service center.