UniBody MacBook "Hang with Scream"

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by chipmunk, Sep 15, 2009.

1. chipmunk

chipmunk Member

This is what it looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaujbixqsoI (just googled it, exactly the same with my experiences)

I've been experiencing this once in a while(about once or twice a week), i dont really know why this is happening. I bought my mac december of 2008. So it still in the 1-year warranty period.
    I'm bothered because i dont know what to do, 3 months away before my warranty expires.
    What should i do, should i bring it back to power mac?
    how can i convinced them that i am experiencing this problem if it only happens once in a while:(.

This happens to me when i was in leopard, gaming in my bootcamp(windows xp), and just last night with snow leopard, so this might have nothing to do with OS.

by the way, my ram and hdd are upgraded way back and not the stocks that came with my mac.:(

#1 chipmunk, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  2. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

I haven't watched the YouTube video yet, but why not buy AppleCare to extend your warranty an extra 2 years before the opportunity to do so runs out in 3 months?

EDIT: Saw the video. Bring it to a service center like Digital Hub (I prefer them to PMC) and describe the problem and either download the YouTube video and show them, or give them the URL.

My advice on AppleCare still stands. And why the sad face about upgrading your RAM and HDD?

3. jcdman

jcdman Member

Wow that is bad. Seems like a videocard/logic board problem. Have it replaced already.

4. kalbs

kalbs Member

report it to AppleCare 1-800 for them to have the record of your problem.
    Service Center might not experience the problem, and can't order the necessary part for replacement, since the problem is intermittent.
    Buy AppleCare .....

5. chipmunk

chipmunk Member

@ sir rafael, i suspect po the upgrade, i upgraded it after two weeks when i bought my mac.
    sir i bought my mac at powermac and still under the 1-year warranty period,
    can i bring it to digital hub?

6. redticket

redticket Member

I recommend that you record a video of your MacBook when it happen again, so you have an evidence to back-up your warranty claim. So make sure you have a portable video recording device at hand all the time.

Get an APP too, if your budget permits. Goodluck.

7. pilgrim28

pilgrim28 Active Member

That's a nasty problem. Correct me if i'm wrong, I think applecare is not bound to where you bought the Macbook, the serial will prove that you are still covered and can claim warranty.

8. jcdman

jcdman Member

Yup this is correct. Just like how Apple's service coverage is international.

Chipmunk, my best advice is to call the hotline about this. The number is 1-800-14410234. Seeming it's an intermittent problem, ASPs will have a hard time isolating the part that needs to be replaced if the symptom doesn't appear in their custody.

9. joy08

joy08 Member

Wahh! you should bring your macbook to the nearest apple center have them check it i prefer digital hub. I think the problem occur after you upgraded your ram and hdd.

10. raze94

raze94 Member

do you still have the old ram? maybe you can try putting it back first before bringing it for service to see if it solves the problem.

11. edricdude

edricdude Active Member

oh God that is scary!

12. jcdman

jcdman Member

Yeah, try that too. Try switching back to the orig RAM first and see if it still occurs. But I suspect that's a videocard/logic board problem.

13. rolandh

rolandh Member

This happend to me alot but we traced it to a faulty 2Gig RAM. They replaced it in Digital Hub (where I got my MacBook Unibody last summer) . But after awhile it happened again ...so we tried to look for which 2gig memory was it but Digital hub just replaced the whole 4gig ram that I got.

That solved the problem!!! Now its been 2 months no more "Hang with Scream" or I call it "Popcorn" :D nice service !

thanks to Digital hub in Vmall!:cool:

14. John H

John H Member

Yes, if you have freezing, chances are it is the third party ram you installed. It is either the modules are faulty or loose. I second what the other posters are suggesting.

15. chipmunk

chipmunk Member

thanks po for the suggestions, i'll try po to switch back my ram and evaluate.

16. raze94

raze94 Member

your welcome! please let us know what happened. im contemplating upgrading my ram this will help a lot in my decision. peace!

miguel

17. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Try calling an exorcist as well, it seems like your Macbook is possessed.

18. gman

gman Member

@chipmunk

i experienced the same thing.. i upgraded it since i bought it last march. but it only acted up exactly like this two weeks ago.. i already brought it today to powermac.

19. clcabatbat

clcabatbat Member

ganyan din nangyari sa unibody macbook ko noong mag upgrade ako from 2gb to 4gb ram. iyong originsl ram na uli ginagamit ko ngayon

20. arlo0611

arlo0611 Member

ganyan rin ang nangyayari sa unibody ko pero without the sound effects... and i also upgraded to 4gig pero since di naman madalas mangyari, dedma lang...

pero now na nagupgrade rin ako sa SL, the hanging problems occurs smuch more often, as in 5 times aday siguro, esp pag iniiwan kong di ginagamit...