Unaligned case?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by mig, Nov 9, 2009.

1. mig

mig Active Member

I recently sent my MBP in for repair. I had a keyboard problem which resulted in the replacement of my topcase. After replacement, I noticed that the lid/LCD was now unaligned from the topcase. Whenever I close the MBP, there's a small "lip" about 1mm in length because the bottom part sticks out in front. The lid also sticks out from the back part by about the same length, proving that its no longer aligned. I asked the technician and he said its normal for it to happen and showed me another MBP waiting for repairs that was also unaligned.

Is this really normal? Anyone else with an unaligned case? My case was aligned before I had the topcase replaced.

I'm on a late 2008 2.4ghz model, if that has anything to do with it.

Here are pictures.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#1 mig, Nov 9, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  2. quasar

quasar Active Member

Based on your description, I would say that the top case appears to be misaligned. Where did you bring your MBP for repair?

3. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

if it was aligned before it was taken in for repair, then its proof that its not "normal" maybe you could consult another service provider

4. randyrivera

randyrivera Active Member

mine was already dis-aligned from the time i bought it. The first one was really really off, then the second one just a bit, but still noticeable.

5. raze94

raze94 Member

if you could please share what service center worked on your mac. a misaligned mac returned to a customer after service in my opinion is extremely unacceptable.

6. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

I agree with @raze94. It shouldn't have passed QA in the first place.
    Please let us know which AASP it was so we can avoid them.

7. ste@lth

[email protected] Well-Known Member

In fact we should not just avoid them, i guess it would be better to address the management regarding the outcome of their services, quality is expected. :mad:

8. mig

mig Active Member

Yup, it was aligned before it was taken in for repair. Just inspected it more closely now and it seems the seal of the "gap" on the left side (side without power button) is wider than the one on the right. Took it to DH V-Mall.

Btw, lets not turn it into a complaint thread. I'm simply asking if this is normal or should I take it back. I'm not unsatisfied with the service provided, I realize these things can happen.

Is it as unaligned as mine? If mine can still be considered okay compared to others, I'll probably just stick with it. Not sure if I have the time to bring it back right now.

#8 mig, Nov 9, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  9. ste@lth

[email protected] Well-Known Member

sir, if this is mine, i will surely bring this back, this is not just an ordinary unit, this is a Mac!

10. mig

mig Active Member

Haha! I'd probably be asking this question even if it was an HP or a Dell or whatever brand it is. ;)

11. raze94

raze94 Member

this is not turning into a complaint thread at all. considering you took it to dh then im 100% sure there will be no problems having that fixed. i just wanted to know where the repairs were done so i would know how the establishment handles these types of things. have you tried contacting them yet? what did they say?

12. mig

mig Active Member

Nope, not yet. Still trying to find the number to the iRescue area. I know I put it here somewhere...

13. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

sir mig, maybe its a hassle but do bring it back to them, the unit you sent for repair should come back in its usual state and not with a misaligned case, these things do happen, that's why there's also a premium on warranty

14. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

weird. the misalignment is so noticeable even a cellphone camera can identify it. try to ask them again. as to complains, i also complained the trackpad DH Vmall replaced on my late 2008, 2.4mbp. i also notice that it is not aligned about .5mm and also when i open my mbp to clean my rams, i saw the film-like wiring connection of my trackpad is somewhat "bent and folded, thinking that the trackpad is not installed properly, i planning to bring it back to them. but despite of these problems, the replaced trackpad is on good condition!

15. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

Just had a look at the pics you posted. That's really bad.

I have 3 theories:

1. When they attached the LCD, they didn't align it to the top case before they tightened the screws - they can probably try to re-mount the LCD panel.
    2. The mounting holes in the top case is misaligned - factory defect.
    3. The LCD hinge was somehow bent when it was reinstalled - might have used too much torque?

Whatever the reason is, you should have this fixed.

16. RC

RC Active Member

That MBP, that the "technician" showed you must be there for the very purpose of case misalignment for all anybody knows...

This also goes to show how substandard that place is...as to point out other defects to their already "loyal" customers...which i would assume was their fault in the first place e.g. as to what happened to your MBP...

It's would also be safe to assume that the "technician" just gave a half @55ed work and then did not want to either accept the unit and work on their mistake in the first place or was assuming they could get away with it.

I'd bring this issue to the manager or owner and BCC Apple as well...

17. mig

mig Active Member

Thats going a bit too far, isn't it? Lets not question the technician's reputation as I've heard many good things about him. One incident doesn't automatically mean he gives half a'd work. Like I said, I'm not complaining about the work done on my computer.

Anyway, anyone else out there who has an unaligned case who can compare theirs to mine? I'm starting to think I really should take it back after reading all the comments.

18. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

Mine is perfectly aligned when viewed from any angle.
    I say just take it back.

19. mig

mig Active Member

Yeah, I've decided to take it back already. Compared it with my blockmate's MBP and mine WAY off compared to her's. :(

20. Charlie

Charlie Beyond The Box/DW/Digital Hub

Hi Mig :)
    I understand your situation perfectly and we are raising this question to Apple ourselves.

Its not the quality of service or installation thats the problem but the replacement parts that we receive from apple. We also have one customer a few months ago who had the same problem and we had to request for the same part from Apple three times before it was fixed.

Just bring it back to the service center and lets have it checked.

Thanks

#20 Charlie, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009