Uber is now in Manila

Discussion in 'General OT' started by neilrg, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Edelheid

Edelheid PhilMUG Addict Member

Grab does have more promotions which is never a bad thing. I often get notifications about their newest promotions be it in the form of load bonuses or individual fare discounts. Uber, on the other hand, maybe two or three promotions every few months. Overall I still prefer Uber due in part to my success rates in actually getting a ride. Grab either takes forever or the driver cancels at the last moment. It's gotten to the point where I stopped caring about the risible surge, just help me get to my destination irrespective of the fees.

Maybe it helps that Uber drivers are unable to see my destination prior to getting inside the car lol

2. theadvocate_ivan

A little OT, is there Uber in Bacolod? Especially if hailing from the Silay airport? Thanks!

3. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Sorry for the OT...

Hmmm, the Empire Strikes Back!

Uber deal is cold comfort for Singapore’s fading taxis | Mint

4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....P.I. Uber!!!! Why only admit now that up to 170,000 Philippine Uber accounts were hacked a YEAR AGO! Mga gunggong kayo, leche! :mad::mad::mad::mad::(

Note: change your Uber passwords as a belated precaution.

5. raypin

Mm...Uber, in Southeast Asia, is history. Grab is sole TVNS in the Philippines effective March 25th. Less competition = higher prices.

6. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

^ You are right. Expect to see lesser discounts and promos. Eventually, they'll go away.

Also, in my particular case Uber is cheaper by about 100 than Grab from office to home and vice versa. Grr.

7. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

I prefer the look and feel of the Uber app than Grab. The map animation is also smoother. I will miss it. Oh well.

8. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

monopolized hail cab service, hope we not moving backward

9. raypin

Mm...can’t be helped as Uber has been losing a ton of money in the face of fierce competition from other ridesharing companies in Southeast Asia. Years back, they sold Uber China to a local for the same financial reasons. They are preparing to IPO in the US so I can’t blame them for restructuring their operations with the goal of making Uber as attractive as possible to investors and analysts.

My main concern is the LTFRB move to limit the number of drivers/operators to only 65,000 units.......in a city of 10 million? Is there a millions of reason why?

#689 raypin, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Sunil_K likes this.
  10. ice

My biggest complain with GRAB is that the driver can see where you're going... It will be easy for them to refuse to take you if the place is not convenient for them.

Now Uber is officially gone and the only local competition Grab will have is Angkas (although motorcycles are illegal, a bit of a push from LTFRB and they should be able to accept cars in their system.

I can't wait to see LTFRB's move on this... I always prefer a big company handling our local transport... But there should be 2 or 3... In the case of ride hailing providers, we'll only have 1 this April.

Sunil_K, Godfather and raypin like this.
  11. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Maybe we should change the thread's title to Uber is now dead in Manila. :p . Too bad. I always prefer Uber over Grab. their rates are much much higher than Uber and their customer service is extremely bad.

12. ice

13. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

Grab is pro-driver while uber is pro-rider in my experience, not to mention grab is also slightly higher. I use uber daily going home and this is my experience. I say uber is pro-rider and grab the opposite bec with grab, the drivers can see your destination and reject you (sounds familiar right? hehe) unlike with uber they have no choice, well they still do but uber is strict with it. But many drivers as expected prefer grab since they can choose who they pick up, customer service is just secondary.

witch_md and Godfather like this.
  14. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Alternate thread title:

It's Game Uber for Uber Asia :p

greta87, lsalapare, raypin and 5 others like this.
  15. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

Or just change one letter in the thread title to:
    Uber is NOT in Manila

Godfather likes this.
  16. raypin

Mm...I have not had any bad experience yet with Grab, here or in Singapore, Grab’s HQ. I hope my good luck continues. LTFRB is reportedly on the verge of processing and approving the accreditation of 3 local ridesharing services to prevent Grab monopoly in the local market. One of them is called Hype. Sorry but that word gives me negative vibes. Will they have the same quality and safe service as Uber?

So, you see, the LTFRB is on our side after all. ;)

#696 raypin, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Sunil_K likes this.
  17. ice

18. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

^WTF No!!! Ola is sh!tty and expensive. Uber's vehicles are cleaner, newer and they usually charge 50% less than what OLA quotes

19. ice

But it's easier to get Ola cars... :)

20. ice

This could have been Angkas... If only LTFRB supported it.

Go-Jek coming to S’pore | Mothership