UAAP Season 82 - Basketball

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by ice, Jul 25, 2019.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

La Salle Green Archers bring in three one-and-done Fil-foreigners | Spin

2. Queen_Ni_King_Archer

Can’t wait for the new season

3. ice

España vs Katipunan for the Finals

I find it unbelievable that UST won yesterday's game by shooting less than 30% from the field!

SE20 likes this.
  4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

One Big Fight!

Last college game I watched in real time was the last Ateneo-La Salle game under the NCAA in 1978 before they both bolted to the UAAP. It was in that year Ateneo lost to San Beda in a closed door game at the Araneta Coliseum because of previous riots. We were in high school then and cut our class to watch the Ateneo-La Salle game, which quickly deteriorated into a full-blown riot in Cubao. Talagang sapakan blues! We were actually set upon by a mob thinking we were Ateneo students because of our white polo and black pants and were lucky to return to our school, just across in Kamuning, sans bukol at sipa because mas mabilis sa alas kwatro ang takbo namin! :LOL:

I never attended another game even when I was in a college in Katipunan. So much for the memories.

Dekra, Sunil_K and jbfirefly like this.
  5. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

Not much posts this year huh? Hehe. This UST team is scary. I’m actually more wary of Ateneo facing them than UP. This somehow has some season 69 feels. Well hope it doesn’t happen again.

6. hitme64

The UAAP men’s basketball has turned into a mini-Third Conference of the PBA, laden with “imports” doing all the work actually. So what’s new with the UAAP? There’s the Cheerdance spectacle FWIW.

7. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

same observation here, looks like there's not much to talk about this season?

8. ice

I'm actually one of those guys who would love to see more imports in local sports...

Can you imagine if US NCAA only allowed 1 foreigner per team? or even the NBA?

Plus it trains our local players to compete with bigger/stronger kids.

macdiver, Quest4dgoodlife and Provboy like this.
  9. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

I had to look it up. Oh yeah, Pido Jarencio coached UST, Jervy Cruz was a tough cover, and Jojo Duncil was unstoppable in crunch time in that series. I'm sure JC Intal will never forget that Finals series.

There are many possible things to discuss about the UP team, but that could be too negative.

Mykolant likes this.
  10. ice

I've always wondered when will Philippines Basketball start to go small...

UST is undersized and looks like they've been watching the Rockets (in offense)... 3 > 2

11. ice

12. hitme64

San Beda had all the chances to win. Two Letran Knights out on cramps, and the ball seemingly always in their hands. Two times they muffed their tries. Sayang.

The UAAP Finals today provided another history for the books: the worst traffic jam this side of MOA. Bumper to bumper. Terrible. Never mind who wins.

13. ice

hahaha, same case last Saturday in Cubao.

14. hitme64

Well, would you look at that. Ateneo wins undefeated for the season. MOA loses in traffic situation.

macdiver likes this.
  15. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Traffic wasn't that bad :) I never bring a car when I watch the games (made my daughter take the MRT with me in Game 1 at Araneta), and at MOA. It was difficult to book a Grab, but that was the perfect excuse to down two pints at Buffalo Wing after ;)

16-0. Witnessed history made.

And since it's been 9 years since that last time, I get to use a word that @rbenzon will roll his eyes at again...

Ateneo, 3-peat!!! :ROFLMAO:

One Big Fight!!!

(Signature still the same since joining PhilMUG:cool:)

jbfirefly and gaol like this.
  16. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

0ne B16 Fight
    Ateneo B ue Eag es, because they have no Ls

My wife is having a field day...

17. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Langya ka, you tagged and dragged me into a thread I had no intention to go into! :D (Nothing against it, but I am a Big Ten alumnus :p)

Oh, 3-peat is valid. Beyond that is when it gets ridiculous, for peat's sake. :D

Anyway, I am more lenient now since that school just exempted my son from taking the ACET, and gave him a carte blanche—accepted to any course he chooses. But am hoping for a scholarship elsewhere. :)

But congrats is in order, to the team, and to my cousin-in-law (that school's Athletic Director). Ahem, Em. Congrats!