UAAP Season 77 - Basketball

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by airmax32, Oct 13, 2013.

1. duncan

duncan Well-Known Member

Ronnie magsanoc should coach UP.

2. sabsar

sabsar Well-Known Member

AFAIK, there was a time that MVP offered to support UP. But UP 'rejected' the offer. This was the time that Boyet Fernandez was the coach. I believe Ronnie Magsanoc being on the Eagles' bench can be attributed to his ties with the Gregorios ( who are tight with MVP). I may be wrong though.

3. goateneo

goateneo Member

Clutch shot by The Phenom!

4. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

^MVP on supporting UP Fighting Maroons: ‘Mas mahal ko ang Ateneo’ | InterAksyon.com | Sports5

MVP will still support UP Maroons | ABS-CBN News

5. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Actually, I am a strong believer that the problem of UP is that the faculty does not support the team!

When I was in college (another UAAP school) there was a seat beside me that was always empty since it was supposed to be for a player! I only saw the guy on the first and last day of the semester.

My cousin who was in UP at that time said that her classmate was having a hard time juggling UAAP/PBL practice and his subjects which later caused him to decide to transfer to another school.

I know that these are "student-athletes" and that "student" comes first... But most of the HS priced recruits just wants to win now and earn their degrees later...

My seatmate graduated at the age of 30... he never made it to the PBA but during his years in our school he was an athlete for the first 5 years and a working student later...

This set-up is difficult for UP since every student's tuition is subsidized by the government... so it's unfair for us tax payers to sponsor a child for more than 5 years...

6. redballpen

redballpen Member

Whenever I read about UP performing miserably and the different reasons why people think that's so, I would often think about Adamson when it was under Leo Austria. Adamson was always a competitive team with him despite not having as much funding and support as the bigger schools, and it's my impression that UP has more than Adamson in that regard. UP has always had some potentially good players in their lineup, but none seemed to develop well. So, I guess for me what UP lacks is a coach that can instill discipline in the players and implement a system that works for them. That said, Leo Austria is an excellent coach.

7. redballpen

redballpen Member

That was a very good play set up by the coaches. If you watch the replay, the players on the left and right of Keifer were both open on the three-point line when he took the shot. They knew defense would collapse on him, so may back-up na dalawang magaling na shooters.

8. panis

panis Well-Known Member

Whew! UP finally won after 27 consecutive losses. The last win was in Augustt 2012. And there will be a bonfire tonight! Parang nanalo ng championship ah :). The theme song should be "At last..."

9. wulf

wulf Well-Known Member

finally! something to celebrate, pagbigyan nyo na kami :p

10. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

Congrats UP!

[​IMG]

11. ransom

ransom PhilMUG Addict Member

I feel sorry for UP 's other UAAP athletes, especially the ones who actually win championships.

12. bugs

Yeah that's true. But I guess it's a sad truth in all other schools (uaap & ncaa) where basketball reigns as the no 1 sport, & the other sports are like second class citizens.

13. panis

panis Well-Known Member

So true. My wife's niece used to be with the track and field team of UP and she related that the basketball team gets a big chunk of the budget even if from among the teams of UP it is the basketball team that rarely wins. But also, my daughter's friend was with the badminton team of Ateneo and she lamented that they had to buy their own rubber shoes and even couldn't get the Ateneo Blue Babble Battalion to cheer for them during their games while the basketball team gets all the support.

14. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

Psst tama na bonfire! Aral na ulit. :)

15. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

After being down almost 20, Ronnie and Kiefer send it to OT!

Same floater and follow through over a foreign player. 33 pts, up 3. 1:38 in OT

Stone cold 3 in the face of Sumang!!! 36 pts 59 secs. Up 6.

16. bugs

wow, ue up by 20pts, & then kiefer ravena happened!

17. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

That. Was. Magnificent.

Magis.

18. daney_waney

daney_waney Active Member

As far as I know, UP didn't reject it. There was a lot of politicking within UP because of the funds and hence, not that much support was given.

19. nethrow

nethrow Active Member

Von Pessumal is this team's Larry Fonacier. Automatic from three!

20. bluescotch69

bluescotch69 Member