Typing in Filipino/Tagalog on iOS

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by anthro, Dec 22, 2011.

1. anthro

anthro Member

Perhaps, I'm not the only one here who occasionally type in Filipino, especially when writing SMS. Whenever I do, autocomplete and the spell checker (the red broken underline) aren't my best friends. Is there a tool that would make it easier for us to type in Filipino/Tagalog on the iPhone and iPad? Maybe, a keyboard dictionary import?

What do you guys use? I know the iOS keyboard will learn the words I use overtime, but more decent solutions are much more than welcome

2. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Why not just turn off the Auto-Correction and Check Spelling feature?

3. Gesh

Gesh Member

If you often which between Tagalog and English text, another solution(whenever typing in Tagalog) is to put a letter (any will do) in front of the cursor. This will prevent any auto correct and you won't need to keep going into settings to turn Auto-correction on and off.

4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm.....great idea for Pinoy app developers: autocomplete or correction for Pilipino (Filipino) words for SMS.

5. littlewingz08

littlewingz08 Well-Known Member

just disable auto-correction and your good to go. the thing is, if your uncomfortable with the feature, and as long as there is an option to switch it off, just go ahead and disable it. :)

6. deucejunkie

deucejunkie Active Member

^uhm, but I assume he'd want the feature to be on for when he sends English SMS. Toggling it on and off is just a bit too bothersome.

I do this, too. put any extra letter to 'reject' the autocorrect, then backspace to delete the extra letter. :)

7. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

with the iPhone 4s, i get the best of both worlds: siri for english and disabled auto-correct for proper nouns and other romanized languages. :)

8. artemis

artemis Member

Just enable auto-correct, as long as you don't use txt-speak and are consistent with how you spell tagalog words, the phone will pick up Filipino words. It even corrects my tagalog:)). Just make sure to religiously x the suggested word box(when it pops up)/correct if the word if it autocorrects and the phone will learn tagalog.

I'm even amazed that it can learn context. Ex: I normally text 1 word to my trainer to let him know im on my way, and eventually i only had to type the 1st 3 letters and the phone already knew what i wanted to type.

Of course nothing is 100% and it also corrected wrongly(lol). But in my experience it has helped more than it didn't

9. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Or you can simply press "X" next to the suggested autocorrect word to cancel the suggestion.

10. deucejunkie

deucejunkie Active Member

^that's hit and miss kasi sa akin. Hirap hulihin nung 'x'. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. intolerant

intolerant Member

Agree on this!

12. rflores

rflores Well-Known Member

i dont turn my autocorrect off. the phone learns the Filipino words, anyway.

13. jaytrixz

jaytrixz Active Member

In previous iOS 5 betas, Tagalong keyboard is present in the list of keyboards. It went away in succeeding beta firmware versions. I guess I was the only one before that was using it. :p

Here's a picture of it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. paul_s

paul_s Member

Unfortunately, iOS is still too restrictive to make this possible. This idea would work on Android though.

15. Waqas

Waqas New Member

Maintindhan

16. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Here's a tip -- there are several Tagalog words that I use often that iPhone (annoyingly) auto-capitalizes, e.g. Kung, Lang, Ang.

What I did was add these words to the Keyboard Shortcuts (Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts) and voilà, no more auto-caps!

macdiver likes this.
  17. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

Thanks, Patrick. I did that and it worked.

18. Adarna

Adarna PhilMUG Addict Member

can the default iOS/iPadOS Filipino/Tagalog keyboard do a good job for Taglish?