Two years later, do you still miss the headphone jack?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by Adarna, Nov 30, 2018.

1. racz41

racz41 Member

It's a mixed bag. Although I stopped using wired headphones/earphones, some of our cars don't have bluetooth, so I still need to bring the adapter for the headphone jack when driving.

2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

One of those days when I wish we still had wired earphones...

Cardio day at the gym this morning... Suddenly, my BT headphones died (low batt)

3. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

I am wishing for the day when we have a significant leap with regards to battery tech!

4. oaba09

oaba09 Member

Still prefer wired earphones.......I don't like having another gadget to charge....with wired earphones, all I need to do is plug it in, enjoy my music, and unplug it once I'm done...

5. JunKisaragi

JunKisaragi Member

Cmmig likes this.
  6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Ot: mm...something fishy about the death by headphone story. How can you be electrocuted with a smartphone plugged to its power adaptor when the output power of any smartphone or cellphone power adaptor is only 5 volts? And the typical voltage that a headphone draws is much lower than 5 volts. And most headphones are lined with leather, real or protein or some other materials that are NOT conductive of electricity. And 99.99% of consumer-grade headphones are made of cheap plastic. Also, a non-conductor or electricity. There are some headphones models with metal grills to cover the headphone drivers but those grills are not connected to the headphone cable.

The only type of headphone that I know of that can potentially kill you is an electrostatic headphone like Stax. It is connected to a high-powered electrostatic amplifier or energizer (up to 800 volts).

Sounds like a bullshit story to me....

#46 raypin, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  7. Hero33

Hero33 Well-Known Member

I’d be afraid to use that headphone if I ever got the chance.

Like plugging current to my coconut lol

raypin likes this.
  8. Cmmig

Cmmig Well-Known Member

Here's how it happens ... https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...or-sheryl-aldeguers-death-20140627-zsoc8.html

Here's one where the person just answered the phone normally with no headset...

https://www.cultofmac.com/235737/ap...an-was-electrocuted-to-death-by-her-iphone-5/

#48 Cmmig, Dec 15, 2018
  9. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

I get an uncomfortable and annoying buzz and jolt in my ears whenever I plug in the gym earphones to the treadmill jack. Worse when my hands hold the front support bar.

raypin likes this.
  10. raypin

Mm...ahhh no.

To repeat, it is a bull shit story.

I am not questioning the reported deaths. Just the manner of in which they died. These reports automatically jumped into unproven allegations that you can be electrocuted to death even if the cellphone charger are faulty.

The China report, if you read, says the details are sektchy, according to official police reports.

Chargers have step down transformers, converting AC (which will kill you) to DC (which will not kill you). It is 220 volts to 5 volts DC and the amperage is 2.1 amp or so. If the conversion process fails, the charger dies immediately. Same with cellphones.

There has got to be another, more plausible explanation for the electocution.

Even the odds are extremely, extremely low. There are probably close to 3 to 4 billion smartphones and feature phones vs. 3 to 4 alleged deaths by cellphone/headphones????? If this thing is even real, common sense will tell you that the deaths will be much, much higher. How many of those have faulty chargers (substandard)? Much, much higher. If the allegations are true, we should be getting thousands or even tens of thousands of deaths already. Headphones?

Can 4 AA batteries (1.2 volts x 4 = 4.8 volts) electrocute you to death?

For the theory to work, 220 volts or 110 volts gets converted to 5 volts and then somehow, miraculously, freakishly gets converted back to 220 or 110 volts to electrocute you through a headphones, made with 99% electrically non-conductive material and then kill you.

#50 raypin, Dec 15, 2018
  11. raypin

Mm....static build-up, according to Klipsch.

https://www.klipsch.com/blog/headphone-shock-5-tips

#51 raypin, Dec 15, 2018
  12. Cmmig

Cmmig Well-Known Member

https://library.ul.com/wp-content/u.../10314-CounterfeitiPhone-WP-HighRes_FINAL.pdf

13. raypin

Mm...yes, but none of that explains how current from a defective or substandard charger flowed from the charger to the cellphone to the earphone or headphone through the headphone or in-ear cable (made with copper, silver or an amalgam of both or something low-grade for consumer-grade headphones) and electrocute you to death. The point of direct contact between the headphone wearer and a headphone is an earpad and an earpad is made of leather, pleather (protein leather) or some fabric which wraps a high-density foam ( for comfort and for sound isolation). None of which can possibly conduct electricity. Even with headphones with a metal headband, as in the case of some Sennheiser headphones, are not connected to the headphone cables. Not one square millimeter of your ears touches any metallic surface that conducts electricity and even the diaphram, ,which can be metallic or organic like biocellulose diaphrams), is centimetres away from any part of your ears. So, I find the whole thing incredibly, incredibly, incredibly hard to believe. So, where will the current flow?

Again. Let’s go with the best evidence. Of the hundreds of millions of headphones and earphones sold worldwide for several decades now, how many have been proven to be the cause of electrocution?

Headphones and in- ears draw very little voltage and current. In terms of watts, the typical earphone draws milliwatts of power ( 1/1000th of a watt). Headphones, a little bit more. Anything more than the manufacturer’s specs and your headphone driver will be dead as a doornail. And a headphone cable also draw milliwatts of power. Anything more than that and it will literally break. It will melt.

#53 raypin, Dec 15, 2018
  14. raypin

OT: Mm..perfectly safe to use Stax and its high-powered energizer. Of the 3 major types of headphone drivers, in ascendending order of preference:

3. Dynamic drivers
    2. Planer magnetic
    1. Electrostatic drivers - the Emperor of headphones. Nothing beats it. They are really fast!

If you are ever at Shang Plaza, drop by Egghead and they have demo units of Stax estat headphones. The best Stax is the SR 009 (latest refined version is 009S), which I prefer, but some headfiers prefer the SR. 007 ( more bass).

Play some Ella Fitzgerald, George Michael (his later albums) or the cinematic masterpieces of Hans Zimmer (The Dark Knight, Man of Steel etc.). Heck...try some RATM (Rage Against the Machine) or the soundtracks of The Matrix trilogy, for good measure. Eric Bibb is a must-hear and there is nothing more uplifting than listening to Yoyo Ma.

#54 raypin, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  15. generator_g1

generator_g1 Member

Been using Huawei's sports BT headset with my IPhone since last year. Good sound quality and very long playback time (around 8 hours). Very affordable price too for a BT headset.

16. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Do I miss the head phone jack...

Personally, I see the headphone jack as the last non-proprietary connection on a device.

Other than the headphone jack, USB-C is the closest thing we have BUT not all USB-C cables/adapters are equal. If I remember correctly, the OnePlus requires its own cable and charger for fast charging... Wireless charging? Pixel phones will only fast charge with an MFG wireless pad.

With the 3.5mm headphone jack, we saw inexpensive monopods with remote
    My I-Rig connects to the headphone jack
    Square's old card reader used to connect to the headphone jack
    Those cheap FM transmitters so you can connect you phone's audio to your old non-BT car.
    I also remember seeing an external flash connected to the headphone jack
    Then there's those small key chain like stuff toys some Chinese teens use.

Some crowd funded projects...
    Remember the Magic Button?
    Thermodo made a plug to connect a thermometer to phones
    eSmogMeter to measure electric fields
    Lumu made a light meter

As for BT... iPhones works best with the Airpods and Beats (as long as they have a W1 chip)
    Pixels work best with the Pixel buds

So other brands can only hope that pairing with your device will go smoothly... Members of Philmug wouldn't mind pairing BT audio from one device to the other... But to the average person, it's actually a big deal.

So do I miss the headphone jack? The ability to walk into any shop and buy a pair of headphones not thinking if it will work for my current and future devices? Buy a device that will not require me to look for MFi or MFG?

Someday the headphone jack will be gone for good... My daughter calls the cable that came with her Beats an "airplane cable"

But for now, I personally still see a lot of uses for it...