Two years later, do you still miss the headphone jack?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by Adarna, Nov 30, 2018.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I was thinking of something similar... But, it's another thing to carry and to charge

2. potpot2

potpot2 Well-Known Member

At home i prepare to use the wired ones

3. Hero33

Hero33 Well-Known Member

My solution for that is I keep a micro usb cable in my travel kit which I can use to charge the small Bluetooth adaptor when on the go.

As an aside, I noticed the biggest thing I like about being wireless is that my earphones / headphones last longer because I don’t have wires to “fix” and spin around before storing, which avoids the split and fringed, eventually broken wires.

Most BT ear pieces are water proof too so that’s another plus. I can swim with music now!

4. jologs

jologs Member

I got AirPods, an XM3 and a bluetooth-capable car stereo so no, I don't miss the jack.

5. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...to answer the question of the thread: my answer (and why) is yes and no.

No, I do not miss the 3.5 mm TRS but, yes I favor wired earphones over wireless. iPhone + quality in-ears with 3.5 mm. = crappy Sound quality. iPhone + wireless earphones = even crappier sound quality. Apple earbuds? Ah...no.

I refuse mediocrity when it comes to personal audio, wired or wireless.

#25 raypin, Dec 5, 2018 at 11:51 PM
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 2:13 AM
    gaol and Qin Zhi like this.
  6. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

Apple basically "forced" me to buy Airpods because having a lightning port on my phone and a 3.5mm port on my MBP meant I had to deal with the constant inconvenience of bringing (and not lose) the silly little dongle in order to use common earphones between the 2 devices.

So no, I don't miss the headphone jack anymore because I spent a few thousand bucks on Airpods (they're worth it though). I see what you did there Apple and that's pretty clever.

7. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

One more reason why I miss the 3.5mm headphone jack...

Our office setting, almost everyone uses BT earphones/airpods...

When it's time to use Skype... I am one of those guys who carry wired earphones on my bag... So there's a 50% chance my earphones gets borrowed...

Personally, I'm not comfortable sharing in-ear earphones... Since I don't want to be that guy who doesn't want to share his stuff, I have a pair of ear tips on my drawer for my colleagues.

8. mree

mree Active Member

You will never get me to share my earphones. It’s just not right. Lol.

On the topic: No. I don’t miss it. I remember running with my phone and my wired earphones, and would hate the way the wire would stick to my body because of sweat. Hated that. Or when I would accidentally drop my phone because I accidentally pulled on the earphone wire. Since I’m an iPhone user, and Apple ditched the 3.5mm port, I got the AirPods. I ended up liking the experience. I know, I know, some hate the design, the price, and the quality, but none of that bother me. I don’t want to pretend that i understand audiophile quality matters, and I have been using mine for 2 years so paying 11 pesos a day isn’t so bad in exchange of convinience. And the design? Grew on me.

I understand why others would miss it, especially if they use the port for business (credit card reader devices), but I don’t. If I get a phone that has a port in the future, I’m sure I’ll still end up getting a pair of wireless earphones.

raypin likes this.
  9. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Ot: mm...my practice as well. I always keep handy extra eartips of varying sizes, small ,medium and large for both foamies like Comply and for silicone eartips. For headphones, cheap disposable headphone covers. I treat my headphones and in-ears like my electric toothbrush, change the head! I don’t want my ear crap and sweat transferred to their ears and vice-versa. When I audition headphones and in-ears in shows like CanJam, same thing. Good personal hygiene practice.

When I really do not want to share, I bring my CIEMs. Lol!

#29 raypin, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:58 AM
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 5:19 PM
  10. rflores

rflores Active Member

Use a splitter. bought one for around 150 at Shopee.

JunKisaragi likes this.
  11. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

In a few years time, will create a thread: Do you still miss the lightning port. Hahahaha

12. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

oddly enough, no... but it did remind me and made me miss having an iPod / iPhone 5! smallish form factor, timeless design, good for workouts, a secondary phone... off to checking out a slightly used SE...

13. JunKisaragi

JunKisaragi Member

I'm a bit scared using one of those as I fear it might malfunction one day and the current will charge my head instead. :ROFLMAO:

14. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

There's Wi-Max, and there's Mi-Wax. :)

mikeyllorin, Qin Zhi and raypin like this.
  15. philkeely

philkeely Member

Not really. Since i bought the Airpods, it's been so easy. Though I still have the earpods one for my iPod Classic.