TV Series Anticipation Thread

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by Ghibli, Jul 12, 2018.

1. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

I don't quite get the gist yet...but Aaron Paul

Theus and Juice like this.
  2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Where's Bernard Lowe? and Maeve? or even Charlotte, for chawsakes?? And was that Dolores Abernathy in the trailer's climax?

3. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

^^ I have the same exact questions :D

4. mysterio

mysterio PhilMUG Addict Member

Laura meets the younger Xavier. Nice. Maybe I'll watch this one instead of doing a GOT marathon. :ROFLMAO:

Batwoman looks a lot better here with the action sequences. I'm a bit meh about the comment on the Bat Suit. "It's perfection. It will be perfect...when it fits a woman." What now? :rolleyes:

5. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

Westworld on Meth! (y)

Sunil_K and bacchus_3 like this.
  6. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

NOS4A2

mysterio and hitme64 like this.
  7. Sunil_K

8. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Star Trek Picard

mysterio likes this.
  9. mysterio

Nice phonetic title since a lot of people won't recognize the reference. Unless they're watching current US news. :ROFLMAO:.

Intriguing even if the story isn't exactly groundbreaking. It's like Skynet (from Terminator), with Eye in the Sky and a bit of War Games thrown in. Though the company name sounds generic, it has the same name as Steve Jobs' venture when he was let go from Apple. Its legacy is NeXTSTEP and OPENSTEP, which is said to be the foundation for all Apple OSes, which includes Siri (hence the AI connection). Then they name the AI in the series, Eliza, which is close enough to Alexa and sounds very much like the Amazon Echo. Which makes for a very believable and scary premise.

My favorite Star Trek captain. Make it so. :D

#49 mysterio, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Sunil_K and leninmac like this.
  10. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Namba Wan, Engage. :LOL::LOL:

My favorite Star Trek captain. Make it so. :D[/QUOTE]

11. mysterio

Something that actually happened but was never widely known. Ebola Zaire (which at the time had no cure and had a 90% mortality rate) in the US.

There was actually a movie made on the book The Hot Zone. It was titled Outbreak and it starred Dustin Hoffman, Rene Russo, Morgan Freeman, Cuba Gooding Jr., and Donald Sutherland (what a line up). :eek: An especially memorable moment was the standoff between the chopper and the B52. :D

Theus, Mykolant and Sunil_K like this.
  12. hitme64

One of the rather better oldies. Besides, they did off Rene Russo here. Compare that to Contagion and you get a smarmy drama with Matt Damon as a conflicted, grieving husband and father to two kids and Pepper Potts as a cheating wife who started the epidemic by having sex on a trip to Hong Kong.

13. mysterio

Rene Russo's character didn't die. That's why Dustin Hoffman's character was so intent on coming up with a cure to save his ex-wife. They did off Kevin Spacey though. :LOL: As for Contagion, it didn't really resonate with me, I didn't pay much attention to the story while I was watching though I did remember the part where they showed how it all began. You know you're too much entrenched in the MCU when you refer to actors/actresses by their MCU persona. Pepper Potts? :ROFLMAO: I actually heard someone tell her friend "I can't wait for John Wick's romantic comedy." Her friend was like "Which rom-com?" to which she replied "Always Be My Maybe, c'mon we watched the trailer together." Her friend then said "Keanu Reeves, not John Wick" to which she replied "They're the same person, duh." :p

hitme64 likes this.
  14. hitme64

Oh yeah, it was Kevin they offed...good for him

I actually couldn't remember her character in Contagion though I am sure she and Matt were a couple...they offed her there...good for her

mysterio likes this.
  15. mysterio

I'm sure there are a lot who would like to watch Kevin Spacey die in the current times. :ROFLMAO:

hitme64 likes this.
  16. Sunil_K

17. hitme64

After our Chernobyl fix, here is NatGeo’s The Hot Zone about the terrifying true story of the origins of the Ebola virus, from its discovery in a Central African forest to its arrival on U.S. soil.

Nuclear disaster, Ebola virus, what next? Climate change?

18. mysterio

Didn't you comment on my post on that already? :p The are already 4 episodes up, going to check it out later.

For the next topic you forgot anti-vaxxers. LOL

hitme64 likes this.
  19. hitme64

Oh yeah ;) Haha

Finished watching the miniseries last night. While it’s based on true events and both major characters are factual, the series tackling a major Ebola outbreak in the US was actually downplayed in the media and was hush-hush among major news outlets. This allowed the producers to play up the events to make it appear America can tackle an outbreak given the lack of protocols on disease control and decontamination. More like an “isn’t America so great right now” moment.

We never get to know what happened to the 4 people who contracted Ebola, or those others exposed to the disease, or what happened to Hazleton for its continued monkey research, or that the Philippines was major contributor to their research subjects. It surprised me that we had that large number of monkeys that we provide to research firms overseas. No wonder we don’t see monkeys anymore in our own forests.

mysterio likes this.
  20. mysterio

Sad fact, money talks. It's something that our laws, if properly and strictly implemented, should be able to prevent. But the question now is, did we export all of the Macaque monkeys with Ebola Zaire? Or some are still in our forests? Scary.

On a related note, Nat Geo just released Going Viral : Beyond the Hot Zone, which is a documentary on the people and the situation surrounding Ebola. Lt. Col. Nancy Jaax is among those featured.

hitme64 likes this.