TV Series Anticipation Thread

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by Ghibli, Jul 12, 2018.

1. mysterio

mysterio PhilMUG Addict Member

They just need to add a character that would provide the resources that the current Greer is lacking (that is, if there isn't one already in the series). I do prefer John Clark to be older than Jack Ryan because he can't be a grizzled veteran if he and Jack are the same age.

hitme64 likes this.
  2. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    It's a vastly different world now than it was when Tom Clancy published his books. The context is totally different thus some retooling may have been needed to tell this story and make it consumable to new audiences.

It's not easy when I always refer back to the characters I know and love from the books. Have to keep convincing myself to treat this TV show as a totally different animal so that I won't look for things that aren't there anymore.

hitme64 likes this.
  3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

What happened to that proposed spinoff of John Clark btw? Previously the talk was that Willem Dafoe would reprise the role he played in Clear and Present Danger. He actually would’ve been a great JC, all with that craggly, grizzled look. Then they said Liev Schrieber would be the one, again reprising his role in The Sum of All
    Fears. But after he moved to Donovan there wasn’t anymore talk about this role for him.

A black John Clark would have been stellar casting though. Idris Elba (without the accent) would be a great JC. Or maybe go South American like Poe Dameron, errr, Oscar Isaac but he’s younger and not grizzled-looking enough.

Such a waste the John Clark movie or even TV series didn’t take flight. It would’ve been great viewing and an ode to those Jack Ryan movies.

Mykolant and mysterio like this.
  4. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

Saw the first episode. It was really good. Gripping and honestly, really horrifying!!!! I consider it one of the most horrifying non-horror shows I've seen. It's a must watch.

hitme64 likes this.
  5. mysterio

Those are big ticket names, not sure they'd be available for the streaming format. Although Amazon certainly has the deep pockets not to mention Idris might be down to doing something along the lines of The Wire which catapulted him to fame, but with an international feel. I don't think a South American would fit John Clark because you want a diverse team, and if you did that then you'd have to change Ding Chavez to another ethnicity. Fans of the series might not like it (but since Ding would come much later in the series when Jack has a daughter whom he marries, it might be a non-issue), Also Clark isn't something that comes across as South American. Liev would have been great as well but the Donovan factor comes into play.

If they come around to making Rainbow Six movie (for the love of God please make an official announcement already), it is rumored that Michael B. Jordan will play.JC, with Ryan Reynolds possibly as JR. Jack Ryan a lot of actors playing him, probably second only to 007. :D

6. Mykolant

How about the following as as John Clark:
    • Armie Hammer (Man from UNCLE)
    • Anthony Mackie (Falcon!)
    • Joel Kinnaman (Altered Carbon)
    And maybe a young. up-and-coming Latino actor to play Ding Chavez.

Alternatively, they can switch the ethnicity and do a Latino Clark and an African-American Chavez, in which case my candidates would be:

Pedro Pascal as Clark
    Michael "Bae" Jordan* as Chavez

*that's what my daughters call Michael B. Go figure.

Going back to topic, when will the second season for Jack Ryan commence? Can't wait!

hitme64 likes this.
  7. hitme64

They said Spring/Summer 2019. Not the Fashion Week, but Jack Ryan Month...

How about a British John Clark (which is actually just an alias, btw)? Kit Harrington or Richard Madden :whistle: or still Idris Elba. I don't see anybody else capable enough to get that JC look from an American (think Ben Affleck or Henry Cavill) :sick:

8. mysterio

Yes, it was an alias that he initially took up when he went to war with the drug cartel and it stuck since he faked his death and entered the employ of the CIA fulltime but his real name is John Terence Kelly so he still has to be American/British.

9. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

Oh my... :( I don’t have HBO sub.

10. hitme64

Terrifying. Just the thought of it is. Imagine losing a city all of a sudden and never coming back for the next 100 years or so.

ronjet and bowman60 like this.
  11. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

And really that 1st episode when no one had an idea what really happened. Even the people in the power plant itself. And some deliberately not wanting to believe what really happened hoping it will just all go away. :eek:

hitme64 likes this.
  12. Mykolant

I agree. Medyo mature actor. Idris Elba could be perfect, if he plays it as an American. Kit and Richard are still too youngish for the role. Pwede sila members ng Rainbow 6.

hitme64 likes this.
  13. mysterio

I just need a proper Rainbow Six movie. I hope they adopt the story of the namesake book, where there were only 10 or so members divided into 2 teams, creatively named Team 1 and Team 2. :LOL: The fewer the members the lower potential to screw things up. But aside from Ding Chavez, they have to include Dieter Weber, my favorite member. Graduate of one of the toughest schools in Germany. I already got who could play him, Kellan Lutz (he's the only actor of German descent who could play the imposing sniper of Team 1 so feel free to make recommendations). :D

We are overtaking the TV series anticipation thread with the movie discussion. Time to call in Rainbow. :ROFLMAO:

hitme64 likes this.
  14. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

15. mysterio

The cinematography looks great. I hope the story is as well. There are some notable actors in there. Jeremy Irons, Regina King, and Louis Gossett Jr. to name a few.

hitme64 and Sunil_K like this.
  16. hitme64

Ahhh, it begins.

There’s Hannah Montana, and Sherlock Holmes, and Marvel/DC fused all over. Gonna be good

Theus, Dekra and Sunil_K like this.
  17. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Only bummer is that there seems to be only 3 episodes. In any case, I can't wait!

18. hitme64

Birdperson: Morty, do you know what “wubba lubba dub dub” means?
    Morty:
    Uh, that’s just Rick’s stupid nonsense catchphrase.
    Birdperson:
    It’s not nonsense at all. In my people’s tongue it means, “I am in great pain, please help me.”

19. hitme64

After our GoT fix comes this masterpiece...

Please no more abbreviated seasons...

Sunil_K likes this.
  20. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member