Trouble updating to iTunes 10.6.3 via software update

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by raymond sy, Jul 3, 2012.

1. raymond sy

raymond sy Member

Does anyone experienced having trouble in updating iTunes to 10.6.3 via Apple's software update?

I was going to update mine to 10.6.3 from 10.6.1 however, an error message popped up stating that download can be corrupted or whatever but download even haven't started yet. There's also an exclamation mark on the side next to the update.

I'm running Lion on the new mid 2012 MBP. I opted to manually download iTunes instead but I believe the software update should do its work here. Any reason why it failed?

Thanks.

2. bluesoda00

bluesoda00 Member

yup same here. my last update was ages ago lol and when i decided to check any updates, it took me to the apple website but i had to send my self an email link to be able to download the latest itunes. whats the best option gurus?

3. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

it happens to me sometimes when I'm using my globe tattoo, what I do is use my pldt dsl instead for the download/s.

it seems that the latter provides more stable downloads, especially from Apple & itunes servers. at least in my experience.

4. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I've always had probs downloading in Mac App Store, iTunes, and Safari using Destiny internet. Others had reported the same problem.

When I use Smart Buddy wifi tethered with my Android phone, the downloads are complete.

This is not the first time I've read PLDT as being Apple download friendly.

5. bluesoda00

bluesoda00 Member

soi is it ok to maintain the 10.1 version until such time that we can have a smooth updating? when i was redirected to itunes page and saw that i need to click the 'send a self email link to the download page', i thought i had the dns changer syndrome. geesh!

6. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

If your experience is not lacking it is ok.

7. Kritiker

Kritiker Member

Have you tried updating the OS to 10.7.4 (or whatever's the latest Lion update)? I'm suggesting this since when I tried to update iPhoto, it said that I need to update the OS first. I haven't tried it though. I'm just waiting for Mountain Lion to be released before making any updates since the release is just around the corner. (and it's a 1+ gig update) :D

8. raymond sy

raymond sy Member

to Kritiker:

Nope, I did not update it to 10.7.4 yet. I also encountered that with iPhoto and iMovie where it requires 10.7.4 to be updated. You are right, we have the same reasoning on why I did not update it yet since Mountain Lion is to be released soon.

Also, I don't have an external drive yet to make a time machine backup of my system. I am scared of having problems because of the update.

9. Charddd

Charddd Member

lol, this happened to me on my brand new mac, i panicked and I've been searching for a solution in the forums for days. try downloading manually the updated iTunes on the apple website then install, worked for me. :)

10. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

With a Time Machine backup, you can do anything with your Mac. You will always have a way to go back. TM is not a luxury. It is a must.

11. macbookproi5

macbookproi5 Member

You can just download it manually. Install it and you would have the updated version of itunes.

12. Tuli$an

Tuli$an Active Member

It's always best to update your system to the latest even though the next big file update is just around the corner. In fact, you should always update it whenever there's one available. Apple pushed them out for a reason, and that's to fix bugs.

13. Julian Ysmael

Julian Ysmael New Member

Same here, brand new Air and it kept on getting the error message whenever I tried to update Itunes via software update. I downloaded the new version online and it worked. :)