Tried Claiming AppleCare

Discussion in 'The A. Shop' started by raze94, May 27, 2012.

1. raze94

raze94 Member

Hello A. Shop This is Miguel one of your loyal customers. Just wanted to request if your staff could please be more informed about claiming applecare. I almost missed out on the opportunity in claiming battery replacement if i had listened to one of your reps. I spoke to someone in your Makati branch about my MBP 15 inch which i purchased from your shop almost 3 years ago. My battery bloated and i was requesting for assistance to claim applecare. The person I spoke to was adamant that even if my unit was covered that i would not be able to claim applecare for my battery since Apple policy was that the battery was only covered for a year. We went back and forth for a while and knowing that they are the experts i let it be. To make a long story short I took my chances and took my mac to Power Mac in Greenbelt still believing the miss information i was given and hoping to get a replacement. Mark of Power Mac asked what the problem was took in the mac and a week later i got a brand new battery.

2. Nino

Nino Loading...
    Staff Member PhilMUG Admin

Just an FYI, it is true that Applecare warranty (after the 1 yr standard warranty) will not cover Battery issues (fast draining-cannot hold charge and/or not charging) since this is considered as a consumable item (which means it will require replacement at the end of its useful life).. However Apple do often waive this on a case to case basis, and in your case.. a bloated battery. As long as the battery pack in question is original and is specified for use to the Mac model you are using, within the period of extended AppleCare and it swelled, then AppleCare will replace it.

Why? It bloated, not necessarily broken or near its end-life.. batteries aren't supposed to swell thus a manufacturing defect, not really an issue possibly caused by the consumer or through many charging cycles.

That is the reason why AppleCare will replace it. Note for our other readers: don't go storming to your nearest service center to show bloated battery packs you have gathering dust in your attic or drawer. Unless you have an active AppleCare plan to your portables, don't bother.. also these battery packs have serial numbers that can be traced when and where it was bought.. they will compare it with the info from your purchase date of your portables and if the dates doesn't quite add up, it will be declined.

My 2 centavos :cool:

3. raze94

raze94 Member

Thanks for your 2 centavos. By the way though the person I spoke to was well aware that the battery was bloated. Still misinformed in my opinion. Being a customer the person should have looked further into the matter rather than just coming into a conclusion and stating it as a fact. Well, if i would have just taken the persons word then i would have spent 7200 pesos. Good thing I ran into someone more knowledgeable at another service center. By the way this is Miguel we met a few weeks ago at your bros store. Hope all is well bud!

4. Nino

Nino Loading...
    Staff Member PhilMUG Admin

Getting a second opinion doesn't really hurt, and in your case.. it saved you from buying another battery. Human factor maybe an issue too, perhaps the tech you spoke has lots of other things on his mind when you came in, or the AppleCare representative he talked to declined it for whatever reasons (that is if the tech guy did enter the issue to the Apple GSX), we won't know. This issue also happens not only here but also in the US and other countries.

With this, if one service center was not able to approve the replacement and another service center was able to.. it doesn't necessarily means that the former isn't doing it's job properly. There are other factors that needs to be considered, so getting a second opinion helps.

Also "befriending" a tech guy do help sometimes in a case to case basis :rolleyes:

5. Hero33

Hero33 Well-Known Member

I've had two bloated batteries changed for free. I bought the additional 2 year Apple Care warranty. It practically paid for itself (considering I had the DVD changed twice as well).

6. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

my bloated battery also replaced by applecare thru digital hub

7. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

@raze94 If my memory is right this is not the first time you had a battery replaced. How different is this from the other time? I have a bloated battery but mine is over 3 years old. I just use the macbook powered by the magsafe

8. raze94

raze94 Member

Your right you have excellent memory. The firs instance was for my daughters aluminum MacBook which was no longer holding a charge. This instance was for my MBP. I still feel a shop failed me somehow. I guess I was expecting more from them. I guess I am also disappointed cause I got my whole family buying apple products from them and I feel they didn't go the extra mile in this case to appease the customer. Anyway I have had good experiences with them in the past so I'll let this one go.

9. raze94

raze94 Member

I guess I was right after all since there have been numerous cases here of bloated batteries being replaced through AppleCare. Anyway let bigons be bigons hope they learn for this experience. With all the competition out there people have learned to let their money do the talking.

10. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

Next time you seek Applecare, it might help to first call the Apple hotline from a local PLDT phone. The number is 1 800 144 10234. Explain your claim, get a case number, then bring your item to a service provider. If you get denied for any reason by the service provider, you can still call apple again using this case number and appeal your claim.

Recently, I called Apple and got a case number for an old magsafe charger with frayed wire near the magsafe connector ( a subject of a recall in the US mainland). PowerMac denied replacement stating that I made repairs myself to remedy the problem. I appealed to Apple stating that I would not have made the repairs by soldering two wires if there was no design/quality issue with the magsafe to begin with. To make the long story short, Apple eventually replaced the magsafe charger thru Powermac.

HTHs in your future dealings with AppleCare related claims

#10 650h2, May 28, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012
  11. raze94

raze94 Member

Just to update the situation. I was recently contacted by someone for the A Shop who offered up their apologies for the misunderstanding and for the trouble. I just wanted to say that I truly appreciate that. This day in age when there are a lot of people who would rather point fingers and sweep issues under the rug Im glad the A Shop is taking responsibility and promised to inform their staff for everyones benefit. That gets 2 thumbs up from me. Good on you guys and more power!

Peace,

Miguel

12. jeroen

jeroen Active Member

Just bought a new macbook pro from them, they came to my house to transfer all my files. I like their service very much