Traveling to the US: SIM options with Call and Data

Discussion in 'Travel' started by piedad, Aug 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. piedad

piedad Well-Known Member

What's the best SIM card to buy in the US - my wife will be there for 20 days?

2. scubadiverdaw

scubadiverdaw Active Member

if you can live with just data, i suggest you consider getting pokefi specially if you do a lot of travelling because you can use it in almost all major countries. google pokefi to know more details.

however if you need to make telephone calls then sims would your better choice. i would guess almost all major telecoms have packages for 20 to 30 days with various data caps.

3. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

This travel sim worked for me. Search them on IG
    46EAA74A-C05F-4CF6-BB7C-2940A2D208F5.jpeg

4. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

Just go to nearest AT&T and avail a prepaid plan for 30 days. 40USD for 8GB with autopay.

5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Go for AT&T prepaid cards that you can get at kiosks in airports (JFK, LA International, Chicago O’Hare, Washington Dulles). They have plans for 30 days. But places like New York City, DC, Downtown LA have free wifi all over for your data needs so you plan more for calls instead.

piedad likes this.
  6. mcarlos223

mcarlos223 Member

Check T-Mobile's Tourist Plan, valid for 21 days.

piedad likes this.
  7. piedad

piedad Well-Known Member

Signal is ok anywhere in the US? Who is their partner in the US - TMobile or ATT?

8. emsy

emsy Active Member

there's a t mobile sim card with unli data, text and calls for 20 days, look it up at amazon.

9. pctan1584

pctan1584 Well-Known Member

My recent trip to the US early this month. We got a Tmobile sim for $50.00, unlimited data good for 30 days. Got the sim in New York and move around from there to Orlando, Vero Beach, Charlotte, Phoenix and San Francisco no problem experienced.

10. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

I have a ZTE pocket wifi that works in the Phils and in SE Asia (not in Japan). Would it work in the US with a US SIM?

11. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

The T-mobile with 21 days of data is good. I used it in California and Nevada. But, when we got to Arizona's Grand Canyon, it was only call and data wasn't available. OR is it like that with all careers at the Grand Canyon?

12. hitme64

Given the location of Grand Canyon and its vast desert and mountain system, yes i think it would likely affect most carriers ( I was thinking what careers are there). Even Waze gets clunky and loopy while traversing Grand Canyon and has been known to strand quite a few motorists because of loss of signal or connection. The National Forest Service has said that motorists should have at least a working compass when passing thru GC in anticipation of frequent loss of signals there.

I tried T-Mobile in Richmond and DC on a 20-day plan and it worked as well as AT&T. But I prefer the faster LTE speeds of AT&T which can be accessed by nearly 3,000 cities and towns States-wide, nearly more than T-Movile, Verizon or Sprint.

Juice likes this.
  13. eag

I only used it in California and Las Vegas. I’m not sure about other places. As I recall it was ok at the Grand Canyon tour though.
    I forgot which network I saw on my phone, so I don’t know which carrier it connected to

14. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

15. eag

16. hitme64

My daughter swears to AT&T working without much hiccups from Cali to NYC. She and her husband went on the road for 11 days and said the only time they got intermittent signals are in Grand Canyon when they decided to glamp there.

17. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

hitme64 likes this.
  18. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Will be in NJ for the next couple of months and will get the AT&T prepaid sim you guys highly recommended in this thread. Thanks for the tip!