Traveling to and within the US

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Pyreticdamsel, Mar 12, 2011.

1. nethrow

nethrow Active Member

Got the AT&T prepaid sim also with the $45 plan inclusive of 6GB data allocation. Was able to use up around 5.5GB during our 25-day stay.

Caution for those who will choose the $65 plan with 22GB - AT&T will not allow you to use your mobile device as a hotspot to share the 22GB data with other devices.

2. desmosedici

desmosedici New Member

http://www.daypasswireless.com/

I used the Sprint mifi device per above link during our recent 20-day trip (unlimited LTE data). It was shared by 4 of us heavy internet users. I estimate we used over 15-GB of data. Worked well throughout stays in CA and NYC but had zero signal in many interstates within AZ. Paid $114 including tax & shipping.

3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Leaving for NYC after getting our bonus i.e. 10-yrs multiple entry visas...so got to use them while they’re hot...

Can’t say the same about New York which is say 2 degrees Centigrade at nights and early mornings then around 12 by midday and 17 by midafternoon...no wonder hotels aren’t jampacked right now...an Airbnb unit is selling for 12dlrs a night for three-beds...

But I love NYC...not the Knicks or the Rangers...anywhere else is a chore...

Of course, within spitting distance are Virginia and Delaware which to my mind are as not as rustic as West Virginia but a helluva livelier place than, hmmm, New Jersey...

Anyway I need a break, even for a week...

raypin, Sunil_K, Juice and 1 other person like this.
  4. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

San Francisco and LA have always been the go to places when I was growing up, but New York, man, New York. It just has everything there. Makes me want to go to the east more than the west. Have fun, sir!

hitme64 likes this.
  5. hitme64

^And because my daughter stays in New York, that's why :D...

Juice and docjbr like this.
  6. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

New York is magical. Makes you want to hum Empire State of Mind while walking along the streets.

hitme64 likes this.
  7. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I love New York. In the 90's when I was living in LA, I visited my friend in New York. We went to The Tunnel and lined up. One of the people who worked there said, you guys don't have to line up, just go inside. Pointing to me and a couple of women who were in line too. You guys are dressed like you're from California. They can tell?! o_O

raypin and hitme64 like this.
  8. hitme64

Nobody stays in line in NYC, in the subway, in store counters, in fastfood outlets, in restos, heck, even in those food stands...

If you do stand in line, some schmuck will likely go up front ahead of you and you'll be so pissed off you'd want to deck him, but in New York, no one does...unless you're from Jersey

Sunil_K and Juice like this.
  9. Juice

Supporter

It was an entrance to a club though. There was a big bouncer at the door. I don't think I can take him on. He'll probably destroy me. :)

hitme64 likes this.
  10. hitme64

I figured that the bouncers in New York are generally harmless...if you look dapper, or sober, or cultured enough to their tastes, you'll be allowed in...

The subway cars are a different matter, of course...I'd rarely interfere when there's a nut on board and there's always one in every car...last June there was this large guy in the Battery Park-bound car who wore an adult diaper and nothing else...no one was bothering him and no one was looking in his way...you don't see adult babies in your lifetime so this was a first...

Weird them people in New York...

SE20 and Juice like this.
  11. Juice

Supporter

There was a time my friend left me his keys, cause he had to go to Virginia. He gave me directions on a piece of paper, to get around the subway. Well, I fell asleep on the subway and woke up in the Bronx at night, and lost the piece of paper. Got out, and took a cab going back to Manhattan. Cab driver says, well at least it’s only the directions you lost, and not your stuff.

12. hitme64

^Am assuming these cab drivers are native New Yorkers and not the transplants, i.e. immigrants, illegals, etc, coz they don’t give a hoot about who you are or what you’ve been through...

The worst cab drivers are the East Africans...aside from not understanding anything you say, they charge you extra for their time...you don’t give in they talk incessantly or worse threaten you with blunt force trauma...

13. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

[​IMG]

Juice and hitme64 like this.
  14. desmosedici

desmosedici New Member

NYC. Not my favorite city. I like it because I can find anything in there. If you are a gadget guy, a clothes guys, a foodie, etc. - can't beat NYC.

Don't like it because everyone is hustling to keep up with the high cost of living. You won't find many generous and helpful people in NYC, is my impression. And people have this attitude akin to arrogance, just because they are New Yorkers. Even immigrants and most negroes. The cops too. And the Port Authority people.

topaz likes this.
  15. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Haven't heard (read) that word in quite a while.

hitme64, Juice, suavecito and 2 others like this.
  16. hitme64

^Post-civil war jargon...

The one thing you have to be careful and prudent of while in the US is the manner by which you address each and everyone there, including Americans...

In this Trump era, saying the wrong appelation for a group is not only unacceptable but in some cases subject to suit...well, most so far

Don’t be the unlucky one to be cornered one day and told you are a racist and bigot, especially in New York

Sunil_K likes this.
  17. quakercountry

quakercountry Active Member

i've never rented a car in the US nor have i anywhere else.
    can somebody teach me how to step by step how to? what do i need? what insurance to get and how much should i budget?
    thanks!

18. manager

manager Active Member

We used https://www.rentalcars.com/ last year for 2 rentals and highly recommend it.

After you type in your deets, it will present you the rates from the major car rental companies so you can compare. There are a LOT of lower class companies not listed by rentalcars. Please avoid.

Pick the price or package you want, pay the charge, then present the voucher at your pick up location.

HTH tips:

Insurance: the rentalcars.com voucher already includes insurance. The lady at my location convinced me into buying $100 insurance, got home and realized I didn't need it [long flight, midnight arrival, hangry]

Gasoline: the usual deal is they give you a full tank and you bring it back with a full tank. If your package is "free tank of gas" then you just return the car no need to fill up. It's convenient especially kung masasagad mo, but try to estimate your usage before deciding. Gas stations are everywhere around the rental companies and airports so you can fill up right before you return the car.

Take your pick: if you book a Toyota Corolla, you are not obliged to get that model but a same sized vehicle [note "Toyota Corolla or similar" in the quote]. You can pick from the lot, just make sure it's the same size/classification.

At LAX, we booked a Ford Focus and found one in the lot which had like 5000 miles on it, smelled of French Fries, eewww. Right beside was an Elantra with less than 1000 miles, smelled brand new and I drove off in it.

19. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...about car rentals and driving in the US, get as much insurance as you can. Getting involved in an accident will be a very expensive experience specially if you are a foreigner and you are at fault.

20. quakercountry

quakercountry Active Member

its warnings like this that make me think 5x before renting a car in the US.

do you prepay for the rental for the whole estimated time you're going to use it?

what about damages to the car? even if u got insurance?