Travel Pocket WiFi

Discussion in 'Travel' started by yoh_hectic, Mar 26, 2017.

1. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

oj88 and ArkiJan like this.
  2. JAO

JAO Member

Local telco better...

3. ricocamus

ricocamus Member

4. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

Sharing my pocket wifi rental experiences for everyone's info... but only the most recent ones i still remember details while the others I'll just give general feedback on my experience

WifiBB (Hong Kong, March 2017 and November 2015)
    - rental counter in Terminal 1 public area of HKIA so you just get and return there
    - accepts walk-in, no reservation needed as long as they have units available (they've lots and I don't think they run out)
    - quick and easy rental (just give them your name and email address and swipe your credit card for the rental fee and deposit, didn't even ask for my passport) and return (they just look for the credit charge slip they kept for the deposit and tear it in front of you upon returning the unit)
    - 60 HKD / 380+ PhP per day which is also quite cheap
    - rental units are now powerbank-type ones (my previous rental back in 2015 they used to have the regular pebble-shaped pocket wifi units that only last a couple of hours)
    - data allowance for their HK rentals is 500MB per day, then it becomes really slow once throttled (streaming services will be unusable, only enough bandwidth for google maps and messaging apps)
    - best option if you just want to rent on the spot (or forgot/lazy to book a pocket rental service prior to travel) for just light internet usage while abroad
    - if i'm going back to HK, I wont be getting this anymore because the of the really slow throttled speed

Flytpack (Macau, January 2017)
    - based locally, you get/return the pocket wifi router before/after your trip but you'll have to book/reserve online via their website or thru email (not so much of hassle really)
    - rental fee per day depends on your country of destination and competitively priced (I find theirs one of the cheapest)
    - usage is subject to the usual fair usage policy but I never noticed a noticeable decrease in speed throughout my usage (either I kept within the daily data limit, which I doubt, or their throttled speed was not noticeable)
    - rental units are powerbank-type ones that last an entire day or more of continuous usage (a big plus when you're out and about the entire day when on holiday abroad)
    - best option if you live near their office so you can personally get/return the unit personally without much trouble or going through shipping services

Changi Recommends (Singapore 2016)
    - rental counter in public area of airport, the usual get/return there as well
    - had to reserve via email prior to travel but even with reservation they ran out of rental units when I got there and had to wait some 30mins for them to send extra units from their office somewhere within the airport vicinity

i-Video (Taipei, Taiwan 2015)
    - get/return at a convenience store located at the airport basement, had to reserve/order prior to travel
    - overall experience was ok (consistent connection service and speed)

Smart's roaming service (KL and Johor Bahru, Malaysia 2015)
    - this was the worst of all. was too lazy to rent and thought Smart's roaming service would do. Dead wrong. Only had Edge connectivity the whole time and they charged back then 500 pesos per day. useless
    - had to text keywords to activate which was also annoying and extra effort for non-existent service

Global Advanced Communication (Nagoya, Japan 2014)
    - reserved/booked prior to travel
    - option to pickup at airport or they ship it to your hotel at no extra cost
    - comes with a prepaid postal envelope, just put everything in the envelope and drop in mailbox at the airport to return the unit

And the others prior I can't even recall their names

5. louie_gudboy

louie_gudboy Member

Hi guys, any recommendations for Europe...Spain to be exact. :)

6. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

HK or SG better get a prepaid simcard instead of the pocketwifi. much better and more data than the capped 500MB.

7. Kiko

Kiko Well-Known Member

how is the smart travel wifi in yoh_hectic's post?

Previously used global advanced communication in Osaka and Tokyo. had no problems with it.

Will be trying hippocket wifi for a europe activity. Will let you guys know how it works out.

8. testdummy

testdummy Active Member

I used the Smart travel wifi during my trip to Osaka last month. Signal was good, no problems encountered.

Kiko likes this.
  9. rsyu_88

rsyu_88 New Member

I will be traveling to vancouver and toronto for 3 weeks aside from pocket wifi from flytpack, skyroam, smart and pal roam. any suggestion or canada telco where i can buy prepaid simcard with unlimited data?

10. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

Anyone tried smart pocket wifi in HK? How fast is the data?

11. coolpix32

coolpix32 Active Member

Can someone please recommend the best pocket wifi rental service in Osaka? Thanks.

12. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

Klook pocket wifi rental for japan is good. Specially if you chance upon their promos. On our last trip we were lucky to get the 75.00 per day promo.
    Book via klook app and pick up at airport in japan.

coolpix32 likes this.
  13. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

Used Flytpack for my Taipei will use it again .

coolpix32 likes this.
  14. Somnambulist

Somnambulist Active Member

I have an open line pocket wifi device, and I just buy a sim sa airport.

15. macmacoy

macmacoy Active Member

Any recommendations for Australia?

16. zChris

zChris Active Member

When I travel for vacation, I typically bring a Pocket WiFi and buy a local sim. Its much cheaper. I previously used a Huawei E5377 that I bought in some local store, but it would run our of battery in less than a day.

So I bought myself the Huawei Mobile WiFi Pro, or the E5770. Its crazy expensive (as far as pocket wifi devices go), but its great. It has a 5200 mAh battery so its lasts all day and then some. It also has a slot for a Micro SD card and you can actually share content from the card to the devices connected to the pocket wifi. It also has an Ethernet port built in (haven't used the port yet so not sure if its for plugging into an existing wired network to use for internet instead of LTE or if its for plugging into a wired router in your home LAN to act as a backup internet connection). It can also act as a power bank.

Only downsides are:

1. Its big, thick, and heavy. About the size of a smallish wallet and the weight of a power bank.
    2. Its "n" only. No "ac". But it works just fine and the bottleneck is the LTE anyway so I don't hit the ceiling on "n".
    3. Its an older 150 Mbps LTE. Thew newer ones are 300 Mbps. But the networks give slower than 150 anyway so it isn't a big issue for me.

http://consumer.huawei.com/en/mobile-broadband/e5770/

I only found one store selling it locally, and it was out of stock when I called. I bought one in the Mongkok Computer Centre in HK.

17. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

What brand did you get? Any other brands that other muggers would recommend?

Will be travelling to the US for 2 weeks, thinking of just buying my own travel wifi, and getting a T Mobile Sim that has unlimited data. Lazed has some choice, but will wait if others have a better recommendation.

18. jessec

jessec Active Member

19. theadvocate_ivan

Anyone who have tried the Smart Travel Wifi for Japan?

20. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Rented a pocket wifi from Klook on our travel to japan and it costs around 350 per day for 8 days. The pack comes with a free powerbank, so even if 4 of us share the device, there are no shortage of battery. Amazing unlimited speed and signal strenght even under the subway. Best part is we just pick it up then drop it off at the Narita airport.