Transport Network Company (or Ride Sharing) Thread

Discussion in 'General OT' started by ice, May 10, 2018.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Uber is gone... and presently left with Grab.

Starting this thread for TNC/TNVs - I don't think we can still call them "ride sharing" as some of the new companies will be used to hail taxis.

So under House Bill 4891 (Transportation Network Service Act), we have "Transport Network Vehicles" and "Transport Network Companies"

If I remember correctly, we now have...

Grab
    MiCab (taxi booking app)
    Ipara
    Golag
    Hirna
    Hype

Anyone here who has tried booking from any of the new comers?

2. ice

Let's hope they can provide Uber-like service.

Ride-hailing firm Go-Jek to launch in Singapore | The Straits Times

3. Leeger

Leeger Active Member

I’m on a grab premium car right now. Got picked up from the airport and on my way home. So far the driver keeps on ranting how traffic it is and how she’s going to run out of gas and doesn’t have cash yo to refuel, as all her passengers including me were using grabpay or credit card.

4. p.pipster

p.pipster Well-Known Member

There's also Angkas.

5. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

Curious, too. We need a better experience than Grab.

6. nylester

nylester New Member

carpool! I used wunder app as a driver and offer my 4 vacant seats. starting from Fairview drop off to McKinley, the app cost the poolers 200-300 per head.
    but instead of that huge amount to be collected, I cut the cost to P100 per head. So if you want to pool here is my regular schedule:

Mon to thurs 10am at sm Fairview pick up point to mckinely hill via c5 or edsa. P100 per head.

pandecoco and isaak like this.
  7. King

King Active Member

Wish LTFRB would allow for more expensive TVNs so user experience wont be compromised. I do not mind paying more.

Ghibli, ramil, nylester and 1 other person like this.
  8. Ghibli

Ghibli Active Member

Grab is getting progressively worse. It's increasingly difficult to secure a booking and I'm a Platinum user which it doesn't really add much to the priority booking.

9. lamski

lamski Well-Known Member

Ever since attaining platinum status, I've been able to book more rides consistently. I think it still depends on your location. There are still times when grab car would really be unavailable but grab premium is almost always available in my area (Makati).

10. yehey9

yehey9 Active Member

The government is trying to kill Grab here in the PH also.
    All those other apps are backed or is owned by a politician. PH taxis are owned by politicians too, so they were pissed with Uber and Grab when it came so they imposed heavy sanctions and guidelines for these companies.
    Eventually those politicians made their own app, and slowly try to ultimately kill Grab so they have majority share again with the transportation industry.

I don't buy that LTFRB stuff that they are for the people, bringing fare prices of Grab to a minimum "for consumers", eventually partner drivers will be driven out of Grab and move to those other apps.

Godfather likes this.
  11. ice

^You have to consider that our setting is Manila Philippines.

Price goes up, everyone complains and ask for salary increase

So if Grab/Taxi prices go up, TV Patrol will be sending reporters and asking commuters how this affects them... Even if they're not the target market of TNVs.

Here in SG, Taxi and Grab are deregulated, they can set the price as they wish, have you heard of any complains from Grab customers?

Sometimes I feel sorry for Gov't officials... MRT/Train fares should have been raised years ago... But we all know a lot of commuters will complain

yehey9 likes this.
  12. Ghibli

Ghibli Active Member

Its true though but ever since Uber left, it all went downhill. Prices were noticeably a little cheaper or similar to before though.

13. catalysmic

catalysmic Active Member

Sad but true.. Collections & Fares alone are barely sufficient for maintenance & upkeep of MRTs.. No maintenance means Safety & Efficiency suffers..

14. ice

I was having this conversation earlier... Best business is to start a new ride hailing app and pray that Softbank decides to invest and merge you with Grab...

New App is available... Presently Android only.

New Ride-Sharing App HYPE is Finally Operational | Spot.ph

HYPE | Google Play

15. ice

Let’s Face It, Grab Will Never Make Our Lives Better | Yahoo Singapore News

16. ste@lth

ste@lth Active Member

Whether it will or not we have very limited option for the riding public, hoping that those politicians who do monopolize these services will not jeopardize what we have now.

17. p.pipster

p.pipster Well-Known Member

While it's true there's really nothing innovative about Grab's taxi-hailing service, it still has some value at least to the PH market.

Cleaner and reliable cars, predictable fares and easier booking. Maybe in SG it's not so much different with taxis but here it's different.

As to their strategy, they are not gonna do taxis forever. That is the reason why Grab is venturing outside of ride-hailing. The end-game is payments et al. You go to China, Korea and Japan and you'll notice these chat apps people use. They don't just chat with them, they use it to buy stuff online, pay bills and over-the-counter products, etc.

You look at Grab the app and it's started to get "crowded" with features. That's deliberate. Time will tell if the SEA market will respond... but there's already precedent in other parts of the world.

bacchus_3 likes this.
  18. ice