Transfer data of phone to phone with less storage

Discussion in 'General iOS' started by cdrubio, Sep 23, 2019.

1. cdrubio

cdrubio New Member

Hi all, first time to post a thread here. I tried searching for an answer to my query but unfortunately couldn't find an answer to it.

What happens if you try to transfer a data to a phone to a new phone with less storage, and the data of the older phone is definitely larger than can be contained in the newer phone? I'll give an example. My old phone was an iPhone 6S which had 128 gb of storage. Everything is backed up to iCloud. The photos are backed up to iCloud but I did not opt to optimize storage so the photos were still locally available on the phone. I no longer have access to this phone, unfortunately. Will the new phone just turn on Optimize Storage by default and no longer download the photos from the cloud and just show thumbnails of the photos, so that everything has a chance to fit in the new phone? I don't mind this happening. As for the apps, what happens when the storage in the new phone is insufficient to download the apps? Will it be like when apps are offloaded, where they are visible, with the app not downloaded but with the app data still on the phone? I'm asking because a friend is lending a phone with lesser storage than my old phone just so I have a phone to use but I'm worried (maybe needlessly?) about messing up my photos, apps, and app data by trying to download everything in a device with lesser storage.

Thanks to anyone who can provide help regarding this matter!

2. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

3. cdrubio

cdrubio New Member

Thanks! I read the article before and it was really helpful. My concern is that I didn't optimize my storage on my old phone before, and I'm going to attempt to migrate the data to a new phone. The old phone is unfortunately not available anymore, there's no way for me to optimize storage by offloading apps and/or keeping the full-sized photos in iCloud. I'm wondering what will happen if I just migrate the data as is.