Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon is a video game released in 2001 with an eerie premise

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by pengski, Aug 12, 2008.

1. pengski

pengski Active Member

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=7FTzbT99-KI

Ghost Recon begins in April 2008, with civil unrest in Russia. Ultra-nationalists have seized power in Russia, with plans to rebuild the government. Their first step is clandestine support of rebel factions in Georgia and the Baltic States. This is where the Ghosts come in: to silence the invasion. Armed with some of the most advanced weaponry in the world, the soldiers of the Ghost Recon force are covertly inserted into area of operations and given specific missions to curtail the rebel actions and overthrow their benefactors.

Precient? Let’s hope not: the further games in the series have the game characters fighting in Ethiopia in 2009, Cuba in 2010, Mexico in 2014, and in other grim scenarios. :confused:

2. quasar

quasar Active Member

As much as I like Tom Clancy, I don't think we should worry too much. The Russian incursion was a result of Georgia's attempts to reassert control over the disputed South Ossetia region, which has a large ethnic Russian population. Georgia badly miscalculated the Russian response, as well as the Western reaction to the incursion.

I feel the crisis won't escalate further. The US is embroiled in the War Against Terror in Iraq and Afghanistan and probably cannot commit troops to Georgia even if it wanted to. Western Europe would rather mediate that send troops. Besides, Georgia isn't a member of NATO.

Russia won't occupy Georgia or effect a regime change as this will go against its rationale for military action (which was to safeguard its peace keepers in South Ossetia).

3. stryker

stryker Member

I've always been worried less about Russia than that other superpower....