Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by docjbr, Aug 17, 2018.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

^we also have a Gold for Wushu at Beijing... Also a demo sport

2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...I think Boxing (amateur) is where our best chance of winning a gold medal lies. Onyok Velasco finished with a silver medal in Atlanta. Dapat dyan ibuhos ang resources to develop world-class boxers that can compete on an olympic level. Forget basketball. Suntok sa buwan. Hanggang pang Southeast Asia lang basketball players natin.

I checked and the last time we won Asian Games basketball was in 1962. Since then, kulelat.

leninmac likes this.
  3. ice

^please correct me if this Wiki page is not updated... MVP is the Chief Exec of ABAP

So the resources are there. Problem is, everyone wants to be the next Pacman... Amateur boxers need the most points in 3 rounds.

4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...understandable because our amateur boxers have to fend for themselves so going pro is the quickest way to earn the big bucks. What I meant by resources is a proper national training program that can support the financial needs of amateur boxers (so they can concentrate on their training up to the elite level). Hire the best boxing coaches in the world, house the the athletes and train them year-round.

Look at this:

4D72D1A2-8996-4BA8-8F08-3455A82FABD6.jpeg

What is the secret of Cuba, an impoverished country but is a titan in Olympic boxing?

#24 raypin, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    ronjet likes this.
  5. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Yup the sooner we accept that our basketball team can't compete in Asian level, the better it is for us. Puro Puso palagi namang talo. Let's just be content in the fact that we can still dominate in the SEA Games. If I'm not mistaken the last time the basketball team had success was when we first fielded professional players from the PBA. That was 1990, 2 years ahead of the US Dream team. It was Jaworski coaching the best PBA Players at that time, Benjie Paras, Ramon Fernandez, Hector Calma, Alvin Patrimonio, Allan Caidic, etc. Even then Philippine team lost to China by 60+ points.

6. ice

OT na tayo...

I agree that more focus must be given to boxing (I would also include Marathon)...

We must start from the collegiate level... I think UAAP and NCAA doesn't have boxing!

IMO, a 16 year old boxer should be entitled to the same benefits provided to other student athletes.

raypin likes this.
  7. ice

Tokyo succeeds in plan to make 2020 Olympic medals from recycled gadgets | The Verge

raypin likes this.
  8. pinoyslinger

pinoyslinger Active Member

My friends and I tried to book on AirBnb for the Olympics in Tokyo but they all declined. The reason they gave us is they are still waiting for the "right pricing" for that period. Very frustrating.