to upgrade or not to upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by jceealmighty, Aug 19, 2009.

1. jceealmighty

jceealmighty Member

hi guys. please help me decide, i'm currently using macbook alum 2.0 (late 2008). my buddy wants to buy my macbook and asks me if i want to upgrade to macbook pro alum 13in. yung entry level lang. sa tingin nyo ba, sulit magupgrade to pro? i might need to shell out additiona 25k at most if i wanted to buy a pro.

btw, lately napansin ko bumabagal yung mcbook ko, and couple of times eh naghahang. pag ba naghang eh antayin ko lang bumalik sa normal o force shutdown ko tapos restart? thanks :)

2. skinhead

skinhead Active Member

what you get for the additional 25K

- pro name that you see below the LCD
    - longer battery life (7 hours+)
    - .26 Ghz faster in processor speed
    - better screen resolution
    - SD and firewire
    - backlit keyboard

if the above are worth 25K then go for it :)

3. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

I guess you can look at it this way. Why did you buy the 2.0 and not the 2.4 anyway? This probably means either you didn't need the extra processing power, extra storage, and backlit keyboard back then or you were probably conscious in trying to save up on the excess you will be paying for the 2.4.

Fast forward to present date, do you need the extra power, backlit keyboard, FW & SD, and extra battery life now and willing to shell out the money that you saved when you chose the 2.0? It's up to you ;) .

As for your system slowdown, do you think it's psychological since you are itching to get a MBP :p ?

4. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

I don't think 25K is worth the extra features. 5-10K MAYBE...
    Just upgrade your RAM to 4GB, HDD to 500GB and you still have leftover money to buy other accessories.

As for the slowing down, it could just be psychological - your subconscious wants you to upgrade your UMB. hehe...

#4 natsgo, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  5. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

I say not worth it. +1 on maxing out your RAM and HDD. It'll be less than P25K.

And the slowdown you're experiencing PROBABLY is psychological. I've felt that countless times and all I do is remind myself that I don't need to upgrade. Voila. It's fast again. ;)

But after all said and done, it will really all boil down to your self-control. Hehehe.

6. barre05

barre05 Well-Known Member

Yup, those updates aren't really worth 25K, if you ask me.

As the guys above pointed out, you'd be better off upgrading your RAM (for around 4K or less) and your HD (for 6K or less). Those two upgrades will be better in the long run than the upgrades you'll get with the new 13 MBP.

7. jceealmighty

jceealmighty Member

thanks guys. its just that macbook pro's pricing is very tempting. :p oh well, i still have two more weeks to think about it. and LOL about slowdown being psychological. siguro nga guilty ako dun. :p

just to verify, mb alum and 13in. mbp is using the same led-backlit display with 1280x800 resolution? or mbp's screen is better?

8. barre05

barre05 Well-Known Member

I think they're the same. As far as I know, the Macbook that got a screen upgrade was the white one, earlier this year. :)

9. chetiboy

chetiboy Active Member

i think the difference is too little and too soon to consider the upgrade. come end of the year, im pretty sure specs will be bumped up as Snow leopard is unleashed into the wild and you'll feel some sort of buyers remorse and wished you'd have bought a late 2009 model instead of the mid 2009 model.

10. carloslegarda

carloslegarda Member

I think it's worth the upgrade (if you can afford it) just for the Firewire. I love the file transfer speed. and Target Mode is awesome! Not to mention the backlit keyboard, which is the reason I bought a 15".

11. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

25K only for firewire!!! Wow mahal!!! :)

12. joy08

joy08 Member

If i were you don't upgrade enjoy your macbook save your 25k or buy app for your it.

13. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I agree, with those who think 25K is not worth it. Unless you do heavy Photoshop or Video editing, speed wise, you will not notice any difference in your everyday tasks probably 10% difference. As for the ports, do you have a lot of equipment that uses Firewire? If you are currently using an Alu Macbook, I'm guessing that you don't use any.

Of course, for 25K you will get a keyboard that lights up and a (allegedly) better looking screen but I suggest that you save your money wait for the next generation of Macbooks. This is a big chance that next update will be a big leap in performance because of the upcoming new generation of Intel's mobile CPU Arrandale is just around the corner.

Here are a few tips to speed up your Macbook:

1) Download Onyx and run the scripts. Zap PRAM and reset SMC. (this might address the hanging, if not you can try to do a clean install of the OS)
    2) Check your hard disk capacity, when you Disk is almost full it usually slows down your Mac.
    3) Get a bigger hard disk like a 500 Gig, it is so easy now to upgrade your hard disk.
    4) Upgrade to 4 Gigs of RAM (if you haven't done it already)
    5) Make sure you get the latest updates for OSX

Good luck!

#13 Salaryman Ryan, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  14. t3nity

t3nity Member

New MBP is now on LED. I don't know if the Aluminum Macbook is on LED to. Save your 25k na lang bro. Your macbook is still aluminum. You can use your 25k for other purpose. After all.. Its hard to say nowadays if you have a spare 25k...

15. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

macbook aluminum is already LED-backlit screen:)

16. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Mac purchase decisions are based on need and want. If your MacBook does all the things you want to throw at it then you just want the MacBook Pro. Nothing wrong with wanting but the decision solely rests on you.

Then there is timing. When is the best time to buy? It doesn't matter when you buy, the situation is the same. There will always be something better in the future. So buy when you are ready to do so. Then don't look back. Enjoy your new Mac.

17. extremeshot

Ok, so I was one of the first to say that the upgrade is not really worth it but I myself have upgraded from the 2.4 Unibody to the 2.26 MBP. Take note though that I switched to the MBP not because I wanted to but because I needed to. Firewire was indispensable so it was really only a matter of time before I switched to the MBP.

Well coming from the 2.4 Unibody (sold it last Thursday) I only had a very very minimal cash out to purchase the 13" MBP 2.26. And for that very very minimal amount, I now have all the benefits of the MBP (longer battery life, better screen, FW, SD, the MBP name).

It was a no-brainer for me and should be a no-brainer for the other Unibody 2.4 owners. It becomes a little more costly for you since you have the 2.0 but let me tell you, the 13" MBP is great!

18. jceealmighty

jceealmighty Member

thanks guys. im still holding back because apple will release snow leopard this september. me time pa to decide. hehehe... to all mbp 2.26 users, does the battery really last 7hrs as advertised?

19. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

yes, it is, with yahoo messenger, safari and itunes open and i've noticed that it is more faster to charge the battery compare to my 2.4 unibody macbook:D

20. extremeshot

I initially had the same rationale when it comes to buying a new MBP in September but I figured that why hold off just because of SL? I sold my Unibody and am enjoying the MBP now. I saved myself the torture of waiting and the new MBP is qualified for the SL up-to-date program for only P590. I already ordered my SL for only P590 and it will arrive a soon as SL starts shipping. And people will say "but you still spent P590 unnecessarily and could have saved it if you just waited a while". Well if I waited for SL then the selling price of my MB would have also depreciated because of it by more than P590 :p. Makes sense?

As for the battery life, I'm giving it a try now. I am on battery power for 20 minutes already and my battery indicator still says 7:53 remaining :p. And as mentioned, it charges faster than the Unibody's battery. Great isn't it? hahaha...

#20 extremeshot, Aug 23, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009