tips on what to backup

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by kaloyster, Sep 17, 2009.

1. kaloyster

kaloyster Member

hi guys! i'm sorry if this post doesn't fit this category. kindly move it to the appropriate one.

anyways, i'm planning on fully reformatting my hd and then install snow leopard again (since i've been experiencing major system and app hiccups ie. adobe products shutting down continuously). can you help me in what i need to backup? like iphoto apps etc., itunes library, candybar icons etc.?

i won't be restoring from time machine after i reinstall, i will just back them up using an external drive. please guys anyone with extensive knowledge regarding mac structure, help me with it.

thank you so much in advance!

2. RC

RC Active Member

"The most important" items to " back-up" are of course your "personal files/photos" those are the only files that are "valuable" since once erased or corrupted beyond "retrieval" can not be reproduced at all(especially photos)

Everything else....programs wnd whatnot can always be "reinstalled from their respective official discs/websites" widgets and other "personalization app" can be as well...

Remember perform a back-up of your back-up as well...

3. dryxzzz

dryxzzz Active Member

From the root directory of your internal hard drive, the Users folder is appropriate enough for back-up. As RC has stated, the rest can be taken for granted.

4. kaloyster

kaloyster Member

thank you guys! although RC's post count is somewhat disturbing hehehe (666). i'll take note of what you suggested here.

5. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

You should at least backup your entire /Users folder, as dryxzzz mentioned. This contains all your data, including settings and preferences for your apps (but not the apps themselves).

6. vanerz

vanerz Member

Is there anything else worth backing-up aside from my user folder? How do I restore it in the reformatted or new (new macbook)? Thanks!

7. Psynic

Psynic Member

The user folder is pretty much all I backup on my Mac (Plus any other folders I've created myself outside the user folders if any)

If you want something simple, you could use TimeMachine and exclude everything except the user folders from the backup. That way, TM does all the incremental backups automatically and you don't have to worry about it in the future.

Then when it's time to restore, you can use the Initial Setup or Migration Assistant to import the user onto your new (or freshly re-installed) Mac.