Tips - Battery / High Temp on Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by donetus, Nov 26, 2020.

1. donetus

donetus New Member

for those who are having temp issue with their MBP, you can do the following below:
    Note: this are based on my actual exp with the units

1. Replace Thermal Paste
    I have both rMBP 13" (early 2015) and rMBP 15" (late 2015) and have noticed the high temps. Replacing yun thermal paste greatly helped. If you're unit is more than 2-3 years old, I would suggest replacing thermal paste.

Grizzly Kryonaut - gamit ko sa 15". lowest that i got was 49C. Prior to that, nasa 61C-70C..

Arctic MX-4 - gamit ko sa 13" and the lowest temp that the MBP got was 44C and normal usage naman is around 50-70C. Prior to replacing the thermal paste, it was running at 60-65C.

If you're wondering why I had to buy a different thermal paste for my MBP 13", it's because there wasn't any diference after intalling Kyronaut. Initially I've thought na insufficient yung paste pero after re-applying it 3 times with no difference, I ended up purchasing and using Arctic MX-4.

If you are going to do this yourself (provided that you have the paste and tools), I would suggest that you watch Youtube videos first on how to do it.

2. Install TG Pro

it helps alot in controlling the fan speed para mas madaling mag-dissipate yung init.Below is yung config na gamit ko which i got from here

Quickly view CPU, GPU, logic board or hard drive temperatures, check battery health and the other hardware diagnostics. If it's getting hot, manually boost the fan speeds, or allow TG Pro to do it automatically to help keep the Mac cool and running fast. Get local or email notifications for temperature events along with full logging for further analysis.

It's designed with security in mind. TG Pro is notarized by Apple and uses the Hardened Runtime. It also has a separate secure service for fan control, only HTTPS/SSL connections and built-in support for the Internet Access Policy (when using Little Snitch). It is fully compatible with macOS 11 Big Sur, all the way back to 10.10.3 Yosemite.

TG Pro supports all Macs from 2008 up to the 2020 models, with specific support for multiple models including the 13-inch MacBook Pro, 15-inch MacBook Pro, 16-inch MacBook Pro, iMac Pro, Mac Pro, iMac, MacBook, MacBook Air and Mac mini.

[Settings] General Use:
    100% at 80˚C
    90% at 75˚C
    80% at 70˚C
    70% at 65˚C
    60% at 60˚C
    50% at 55˚C
    40% at 50˚C
    30% at 45˚C
    25% at 40˚C
    20% at 20˚C
    Auto Gradual Boost: 5-10 seconds

[Settings] Power Users:
    100% at 50˚C
    80% at 45˚C
    60% at 40˚C
    40% at 35˚C
    20% at 20˚C
    Auto Gradual Boost: 10-15 seconds

3. Install Turbo Boost Switcher for Intel Mac
    Note: I've only enabled Turbo Boost to run when I open Photoshop.

Turbo Boost is enabled by default on all Macs that support it, but why anyone should want to disable it?

Ok, here are some reasons:

• CPU Overheat: When Turbo Boost is activated, prepare to experiment high temperatures on your CPU, since it pushes till it reaches almost the Junction Tº, usually 100 ºC. This is controlled by hardware, but if you want your computer to live long, better keep it as low as possible. With Turbo Boost disabled I’ve been able to get up to 20 ºC degrees less!!!, that’s a value worth considering.
    • Parallel Processing: Turbo Boost is activated (by Intel® internal algorithms) when one of the CPU cores reaches 100%, increasing the core Mhz, but It won’t do it if all or your cores are 100%, since that will create a lot of overheat. This will reduce your parallel processing performance so, in some situations, you better disable it.
    4. Chrome h264ify Addon
    We all know that Chrome take up too much CPU usage especially when we're watching videos. 4K video will definitely ramp up the temp of your MBP. The max that I've getting was 104-105C for 4K videos. Installing this add-on did help with my Mac's performance.

Makes YouTube stream H.264 videos instead of VP8/VP9 videos
    Try h264ify if YouTube videos stutter, take up too much CPU, eat battery life, or make your laptop hot.

By default, YouTube streams VP8/VP9 encoded video. However, this can cause problems with less powerful machines because VP8/VP9 is not typically hardware accelerated.

In contrast, H.264 is commonly hardware accelerated by GPUs, which usually means smoother video playback and reduced CPU usage. h264ify makes YouTube stream H.264 videos instead of VP8/VP9 videos

5. Battery - Setting Charge Limit
    For those who are concerned about their MBP's battery health, it's good to set a certain charge limit. I'm using AlDente and have set the charge limit to 85%.

Li-ion and polymer batteries (like the one in your MacBook) last the longest when operating between 30 and 80 percent. Keeping your battery at 100% at all times can shorten the lifespan of your notebook significantly.

2. Invisigoth

Invisigoth Active Member

Easiest solution... just upgrade to a Apple Silicon Mac.

All the Macs mentioned are 5 years or older.

Operational temp of the more baseline M1 mac is half the temp of the coolest running Intel Mac.

Performance improve from any M1 Mac to a year 2008 or 2015 Mac are night and day.

#2 Invisigoth, Nov 26, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  3. donetus

donetus New Member

not everyone can easily purchase a Mac. Just because they release an M1 Mac doesn't mean that we're just supposed to just ship right away.

The purpose of this thread is to help find ways in improving one's "old" MBP. Even if my units are 5 year old, they're still serving their purpose so why waste $$$ when it's still working? Clearly, you didn't get the point why I posted this.

4. Invisigoth

Invisigoth Active Member

Dude, wrong audience. Majority dont have a Mac that old. When they do it becomes a hand me down to their kid or put up for sale.

And what you describe is what people who are used to modularized PCs do. Typical Mac user uses their devices like toaster oven.

5. donetus

donetus New Member

again, you are missing the point.

i guess, the heat of your Mac has reached your brain. LOL

#5 donetus, Nov 26, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  6. Invisigoth

Invisigoth Active Member

You're so rude.