Time Machine saves!

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by elbert, Mar 13, 2010.

1. elbert

elbert Active Member

This is a thread dedicated to positive experiences with Time Machine.

Here's my share:

I just came back from a week long tour of the cordilleras. While in Sagada, I noticed a lot of beachballing on my MBP. I had a couple of external drives with me, one of which was a Snow Leopard Installation Drive. I used the latter to run Disk Utility, which reported errors on the drive. The problem was that the errors were unrepairable, and that the only way to fix the problem was to erase the hard drive completely. Although the computer was still running, it wasn't running well.

Knowing very well that Time Machine performed a backup just before I left the house, and that my new data (videos and photos) were backed up in my external drive, I was not at all bothered with the situation. Rewriting a 500GB hard drive that's around 90% filled may be daunting, but not in this case.

When I got home last night, I decided to perform one last Time Machine backup into my 2GB Time Capsule. After a the 20 minute process, I forced shutdown my MBP, plugged in my external Snow Leopard installer drive and went on to repartition my drive (repartition because that's the best and more effective way to erase a drive).

I then installed Snow Leopard from scratch and on initial bootup, selected the option to transfer my data from a Time Machine backup. I then left it and went to sleep, knowing that the process will take hours.

When I woke up this morning, it was all done! It was as if nothing had happened. I was back to my old Mac and everything was where they were the last time I used it.

So, if you haven't done so yet, I strongly advice you to backup and use Time Machine now! It really is a savior.

#1 elbert, Mar 13, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  2. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Time Machine works best in your situation. Same machine. Same OS X installer. A good backup. Nice to hear it worked out for you. You go through the motion and think the day will never come. But when it finally does what it is supposed to, magic!

I've been obsessed with Time Machine since. I am now working on a cheap NAS setup. I've also successfully created sparsebundles so my backups can mix with other data without TM filling it out. No more partitions.

3. Bem

Bem Member

Time Machine was a big help to me when I somehow managed to mess up my Mac (really, IDK how it happened). When I reinstalled OS X, all I had to do was restore all from my backup. It saved me the hassle of re-downloading apps, and of course I got to keep all my documents and media files.

It was surprisingly easy to do all that, I mean after setting up Time Machine it does its thing automatically, and restoring my files from the clean install only took a few clicks. :)

I think everyone should have a backup just in case. :D

4. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I am looking for something as good for Windows 7.

5. nismo

nismo Member

^^ same here. please let us know if there's one

6. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

From what I understand, Time Machine will not ordinarily backup on a NAS except Time Capsule. It won't even backup on AEBS with a hard disk. I successfully backed up on a custom sparsebundle on a hard disk attached to a 2nd Mac. Does this mean I can now back up on a NAS or does Time Machine readily allow Time Machine to backup this way?

7. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

thanks for providing this account. I back up using Time Machine by using 2 external HDs, redundant yes but you can never be too careful. I've never had the need to refer to Time Machine for anything, at least I can rest assured that TM will be there to save the day, if need be.

8. Provboy

Provboy Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Time Machine has helped me migrate to a new Mac without a hitch, it was like being on the old machine, only bigger and faster! All the network settings, passwords, file locations, were retained. Definitely saved me some time. Quite impressive.

9. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm a huge proponent of Time Machine. It has rescued my butt, and the butts of friends and family I support, so many times.

I've used Time Machine to:
    - recover files that have been accidentally deleted
    - replace corrupted files with a working copy
    - recover preference and data files for apps (Mail, Address Book, etc)
    - do full system restore after a hard disk crash

Time Machine really makes the difference between a slight inconvenience and an unmitigated disaster.

10. quasar

quasar Active Member

A couple of days ago, I accidentally overwrote a very important Excel file in my MBP. Fortunately, I regularly back up my data using Time Machine. I simply copied the Excel file from the Time Machine backup to my MBP, thereby restoring the file to its original state.

11. alfiesy

alfiesy Active Member

My Macbook Air was stolen from my car last August, 2010. Lucky for me, Time Machine had a week old copy of my hard drive image, allowing me to recover 95% of my document files.

I've also used Time Machine back-ups to create a ready to use Macbooks with all necessary programs pre-installed (all came with licenses from boxed software of course) issued to all our marketing officers, saving time in software installation.

12. motoflux

motoflux Lemon Pepper Fan

OT:

How long does a Time Machine will need to full back up your system?

Is it more faster than a manual backup (copy/cut & paste)? TIA

13. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

@motoflux, the initial (full) backup will probably take around the same time. But later, incremental backups by Time Machine will complete much faster because it only copies new and changed data.

14. mysterio

mysterio PhilMUG Addict Member

alfie, you really do have a time machine. hehehe

15. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I get 26MB/sec copy speed to my usb Freeagent 1TB.

16. elbert

elbert Active Member

Boy, your Time Machine is different. It can take you forward! :D

17. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Well TM saves the day again. After the 10.6.3 update, my Mac goes into a kernel panic after booting. So I made a clean OS X 10.6 installation. Then I restored via Time Machine. After an hour my Mac was as good as before. It was even updated to 10.6.2 ha ha. I am a very happy man. A very impressed man indeed.

One question though, did I have to install OSX before the restoration or could I have restored right away from the installer Utilities?

18. motoflux

motoflux Lemon Pepper Fan

Thanks sir.

I'm Backing up my files using Time Machine..

According to the testimonies I've read, IT REALLY SAVES!

19. elbert

elbert Active Member

You need the OS first to read and migrate from a Time Machine backup.

20. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Good to know I did it correctly.