Time Machine Questions

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by ice, Nov 17, 2008.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Sorry if this has already been posted.

Is it possible to limit the size of Disk Space allocated for time machine to use?

I feel like more than half of my external drive is used by time machine already and It really irritates me.

Will it be possible to delete old back ups?

I am sure my Time Machine is eating up at least 100gigs of my 250gigs hard disk

Thanks in advance.

presently I'm thinking of reformatting my external hard disk and assign only 30 gigs for time machine, do you think this is a better set up?

#1 ice, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  2. Shinrai

Shinrai Guest

Somewhat complicated but here:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071108020121567

You're best bet though is to repartition your TM drive using Disk Utility (so you don't need to erase anything). Dedicate one partition for TM and the rest for everything else. I was thinking of this as well but often times I just trash it and start from scratch for simplicity.

I don't rely solely on TM for backup and also backup mission-critical files separately.

3. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

@ice, you might want to limit the folders that Time Machine backs up instead. For example, if you download many large files, Time Machine is designed to keep those files in the back up, even after you've deleted them from your Mac's internal hard disk. If those files aren't very critical, you might want to set Time Machine to ignore the download folder when it performs backups.

If you really want to limit the amount of space that Time Machine is allowed to use, your best option now is to re-partition your external hard disk and assign TM a separate partition, as Shinrai has suggested.

4. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

ok, have to repartition since I just found out that I am only using 80gigs of my hard disk, the remaining space is used up by time machine.