Time Machine question

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by yoh_hectic, Jul 9, 2009.

1. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

So I have a pre-unibody MBP and I want to add more HDD space. Problem is my Mac wasn't designed to be user-upgradeable and I am wary of taking it apart just to more than double my HDD to a paltry half terabyte.

Now my ideas is to Time Machine my Mac as usual and after it is done delete all the pre-2008 data files off it.

My questions are these

1. Will Time Machine keep all my files saved/archived on my external HDD?

2. Will it retain all the deleted files I deleted?

3. In the event I need them can I just retrieve them as usual?

4. Will iPhoto or Aperture access my old files via Time Machine?

I'm guessing I can recover more than half of my HDD back if I did this.

2. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

I don't recommend you use Time Machine for this purpose. This is because once the drive is at capacity, it'll delete the oldest set of backups in order to make room for the latest backup.

That answers #1 & #2.

#3) Yes, but only if they're still there.

Not sure about #4.

3. yoh_hectic

I got my answer for #4. iPhoto appears to allow this via "Browse Backups" but I can't find for Aperture.

I'm planning to buy a 2TB drive for this purpose.

4. yoh_hectic

iPhoto has "Browse Backups" so you can browse your past libraries. Is a feature similar to this present in Aperture? I cannot find reference of this feature in Aperture. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

5. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Don't use Time Machine to archive data. Time Machine will delete the oldest data as soon as you start running out of space in the backup drive, you don't want to risk that. What you should do is copy all the data manually to the backup drive. Time Machine won't touch any files which aren't in its backup, even if they're on the same drive.

Remember though, once you move the pre-2008 files off your computer and to the external hard disk and that external hard disk dies, your archived files go with it. You should copy them to another drive too, or burn them to discs.

Another thing, you can always bring your MBP to an Apple Service Center and have them install the new hard disk for you, they might not even charge you for installation if you purchase the hard disk from them.

6. yoh_hectic

My problem with sending it to the shop is..... the down time. :(

7. mannyespejo

mannyespejo Active Member

downtime? the hard disc upgrade can be done in more or less 30 minutes, now if you'll request them to transfer your files on your new HD.. it will take time depends on how big your files are..