Time Machine eats up more space than the hard drive

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by ijingo, Nov 23, 2009.

1. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Why does Time Machine eats up more about 133Gig compare to 116Gig on the actual hard drive. My assumption is that TM does not just backup the actual consumption but on a per state of your mac from the time you left your last backup.

2. Shinrai

Shinrai Guest

Same for me - current TM backup is 150GB but I only use 120 actually and the TM backup doesn't include any videos and other big files.

TM actually archives all file changes so your previously deleted files are there. Also, I think if a file changes often like your browser cache, application data, etc. it records those changes too.

Don't worry, if you run out of space, TM will prompt you to delete older backups so it can still go on backing up with no problems.

3. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

The first backup will take a snapshot of your entire drive.
    Subsequent backups are incremental.
    Even if you delete some files, these files will not be deleted on your previous backups.

4. jdb0i

jdb0i Member

parang multiple copies of your computer only at different points in time.. you can actually set it up so that time machine wont back up your whole hard disk. it will save you some space on your time capsule or external HDD. or use time machine editor, this app sets the number of times time machine creates a back up or the increments...

5. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member Supporter

ijingo: TM will fill up the space allotted to it. The more space is available, the further back in "time" you can go.

6. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Time Machine will continue to create incremental backups until it fills your backup drive. Only then will it delete old backup files. One way to do is manually delete old backup files in time machine.

7. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

You can limit the max size occupied by the Time Machine backup by creating a smaller partition. Alternatively, the net provides a way to limit the sparsebundle size so that you can use the rest of the space for other data.