Time Machine Bug

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by surgfish, Jul 15, 2008.

1. surgfish

surgfish Active Member

Hi! Anyone experience this time machine bug? Everythime it backups my system, it places a folder saying a backup of ...., at the end of the day, there are loads of empty folder icons on my desktop. I have to manually delete them.

2. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

that's weird, don't have that problem. only thing i really don't understand about TM is why it takes up sooo much space! my 500g WD is already 85% full but used space on my mac hd is only 210g

3. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

@surgfish, how about trying to rebuild your TM backup?

@Theus, it does incremental back-ups hourly, daily and weekly. You may have big files that you update often eating up the other half of your WD. Technically, even if you have a 120GB HD it would still eat up your 500GB over time as Time Machine setting will delete old back-ups if it runs out of space. It works differently compared to Super Duper and Carbon Copy Cloner.

4. surgfish

surgfish Active Member

how do you rebuild ur TM backup? This happened after I updated to latest firmware of AE

5. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, because TM by default also keeps a backup of ALL the files you've deleted. It'll keep doing this until you run out of space on your backup drive, then it starts deleting the oldest backups. That's why I configured TM to NOT backup my Podcasts folder in iTunes, that would probably add a few GBs daily. Check if there are a lot of unimportant files that you think you've trashed, or moved out of your Mac, but TM is backing up.

6. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

One way I know of is to delete the backup disk image in your external hard disk.

7. iLisa

iLisa Account Suspended
    ERASED FROM EXISTENCE

hello.

i was told i shouldn't include applications, library and system in the time machine backup, since all of those can easily be reinstalled anyway. you might want to start over and reconfigure your tm to backup only your home folder.

i hope this helps

8. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

You'll probably want to keep the Library and System folders backed up. If you don't, be prepared to spend a lot of time re-installing and re-configuring your Mac OS X and apps settings if you suffer a hard disk failure. I think not backing up those folders kinda defeats the purpose of TM, which is supposed to let you easily recover from a hard disk disaster. Unless you're really short on external hard disk space, I also recommend backing up your Applications folder.

9. acid

acid Member

Edit the Preferences of your time machine and there is a part there where you can list the folders that will be excluded when the time machine back up again. If you are using Mail application you have to exclude it from the back up because it eats up a lot of space too.

You can also erase the old back ups so that you can reuse the disk space.

10. Theus

Supporter

thanks for the info guys. will check these out shortly.

11. elbert

elbert Active Member

Pat, I exclude all folders like iLisa. Only the Users folder is being backed up.

I just helped a client restore all her files into a new Mac using Time Capsule and Migration Assistant. In her TC, I excluded the root folders Application, System and Library. No problems were encountered. To me, the information contained in the system Library is not as vital as the information in a user's own Library in the Home folder.

I Just discovered that my wife's TM file was already a whopping 300GB, so last night, I went into the TC with Airport Utility and used the ERASE function. IOW, I'm starting over again, even for my MBA's backup, which was a reasonable 30GB only. I didn't have to reconfigure the setup, all the previously listed excluded folders (including my user account on her iMac), were still listed. It's taking a while to finish her first backup though, since the iMac's HD is around 70GB in size.

12. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

Thanks, it's good to know that if you really need to exclude some folders because of space constraints, TM will still be pretty useful.

Personally, I just have TM set to backup everything (except downloads and podcasts) because, with my terrible luck with hard disks, I want to be able to get up and running after a hard disk failure in the shortest possible time.

13. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

I agee!! too much space made me rethink about using TM.
    Now I turned off TM after doing 1 backup on my lacie.

too long, too much and not worth it.

14. surgfish

surgfish Active Member

Hey, anyone knows how to help my problem? I've got 1 TB if HD space, so I dont care if its 300GB, My problem is the annoying folder on my desktop TM makes after each backup. At the end of the day, empty folder icons are all over my desktop

15. acid

acid Member

Try to reconfigure your TM by turning it off and on. Then reselect the disk for you to back up.

16. Theus

Supporter

i think i'll stick to this first. btw, reformated my WD HDD and ran TM again, now my ext HDD is back to being 44% full only.