Time Capsule Unreliable?

Discussion in 'Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express' started by godivachoc, Nov 1, 2009.

1. godivachoc

godivachoc Active Member

Hi

I just got a Time Capsule but I'm having second thoughts about using it since people have reviewed in the Apple website that it lasts for only 19-20months usually.

Is this true?

I have my macbook on AppleCare til June 2011 though.

What do you guys think?

Sell and buy a different backup drive or keep?

2. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

I don't think so. Regardless, I got AEBS so that I can partition the HDD hooked with it.

3. pinoydl

pinoydl Member

Although we're all aware that eventually that Time Capsule will fail regardless of warranty coverage, sometimes on extreme cases, we have to backup our backup. I do my redundant backup on my 15Gb iDisk online storage. Your Time Capsule is covered by your AppleCare Protection Plan. [must be purchased within two years of Mac purchase]

4. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

@godivachoc, many people are reporting that their Time Capsules only lasts about 18 months or so. There's actually a website for people to register their dead Time Capsules -- Time Capsule Memorial Register. Apple hasn't yet acknowledged if there's an actual problem that causes these TCs to die prematurely.

5. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Not a TC owner but it's these reports that kept me from getting one. An unreliable backup device is definitely disturbing.

6. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member Supporter

extremeshot: It's almost an oxymoron :D

7. alfiesy

alfiesy Active Member

Wouldn't recommend Time Capsule. Mine failed about 14 months after it was purchased. The WiFi couldn't be detected and none of the data in the Time Capsule could be recovered by Digital Hub's technicians. Having Apple Care Protection is fine but Apple simply replaces the Time Capsule and doesn't help with retrieval of the data stored inside it.

8. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I agree guys, if your backup needs a backup then there is definitely something wrong with your backup. :)

perhaps an Airport extreme with an external HD connected to a USB is a safer bet?

EDIT: Ugh I just finished reading a few post from the Apple Discussion board. Looks like Time Capsule is indeed unreliable

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2129872&start=405&tstart=1

extremely huge thread. Looks like a lot of folks are seeing their Time Capsule die within a year of usage. Not a very good sign. Looks like I'm going to hold off buying these for my offices. :(

Like the White Crackbook, Apple seem to have lots of problems with this product line, buyer beware.

#8 Salaryman Ryan, Nov 2, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  9. Elx200001

Elx200001 Active Member

I'm also a victim of unreliable Time Capsules. Like everyone here, I researched a bit and was one of the many who had it for about 1 and a half years (about the time they introduced it) when the power supply died. The problem is that the power supply is custom made for the time capsule, which like almost all apple products aren't subject for repair, only replacement. In all honesty though, I had it turned on for most of that 1.5 years (I think I unplugged it for christmas break only) and it failed just that once and never came back.

I suggest getting an APEX and an external hd for backup purposes. I just did a couple of weeks ago and will be setting it up as soon as it arrives.

10. Shinrai

Shinrai Guest

Bought mine April last year, I'm the second owner. This month seems to be my fail month according to the sites so I'll try to backup my backups.

From what I hear, it seems the problem is just a busted capacitor from overheating. It does download a lot of stuff and it's always on but it is placed on a bracket and it well-ventilated. We'll see what happens but I hope even if the router conks out, the files will still be intact.

11. ArkiJan

ArkiJan Well-Known Member

now this thread is getting me worried... my time capsule is around a year and a half old... time to backup the backup??? bummer...

12. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

Whether it be a Time Capsule or any other hard drive, these things will die eventually.
    For me I don't backup the backup since the chances of the original drive and the backup drive dying simultaneously is very slim.
    I've been working with servers since 1996 and never had an incident of both primary and backup drives failing at the same time... knock on wood.

13. ArkiJan

ArkiJan Well-Known Member

yup, it will die eventually... but i'm not expecting an Apple product to last around 18 months only with the premium price i paid for it... well, that's life...

14. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I guess it's settled then, you're better of selling it and buying a different backup device. Sell it to me for 5k and I'll take my chances hahaha... Anything higher than that is too risky already :).

15. godivachoc

godivachoc Active Member

does this option allow wireless backup?

@extremeshot

Haha nice try !

16. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

It's not officially supported by Apple but it works fine with Time Machine.

17. godivachoc

godivachoc Active Member

@natsgo

what do you mean it's not officially supported by apple sir? :eek:

so it can be a wireless backup device? :)

18. Elx200001

Elx200001 Active Member

^ I believe he means that it isn't mentioned on the Apple website. But it is a supported feature though.

Unless I'm very much mistaken and spent more than $300 on a router and external hd.

19. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

You can use the Airport Extreme + USB HDD as a Time Machine backup drive but you will not get any support from Apple on this. I tried calling up Applecare a month ago to inquire about this feature and the rep told me right there and then that they do not support this "feature". :eek:

Personally I've been using this setup since July and haven't had a failed Time Machine backup since day 1. Also tried to restore from Time Machine backup and it works without a hitch.

20. godivachoc

godivachoc Active Member

@natsgo

wow thanks !