Tiger to Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by wlvn, Apr 18, 2010.

1. wlvn

wlvn Member

Hi, please help me clarify something.

Can you upgrade from 10.4 straight to 10.6? Because I was led to believe that if I want to install 10.6 using only the Snow Leopard disc, my mac should be running on 10.5 and that if I want to install Snow on a Tiger mac, I should be getting the Mac box set. But just a while ago while checking the system requirement for Snow Leopard on Apple's website. It only states there that one should have an Intel based mac. Does this mean that I can just use the Snow Leopard disc to upgrade from Tiger straight to Snow? Please help. Thanks.

2. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

You can go ahead and use a Snow Leopard install cd. Snow Leopard has no "upgrade" option really. No archive and install. It will be a clean installation.

3. sairoangel

sairoangel Member

yes, you can. im one of the tiger user to install snow leopard here in philmug..

4. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

5. alikishi

alikishi Well-Known Member

when snow leopard was released, I had the impression that I should be on 10.5 before I am able to buy/purchase a snow leopard dvd and install it on the laptop

6. Netskipper

Netskipper PhilMUG Addict Member

I also thought that you can't upgrade from 10.4 to 10.6 because of this:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html

Specifically;
    Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger.

If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger, purchase the Mac Box Set, which is a single, affordable package that includes Mac OS X v10.6.3 Snow Leopard; iLife, with the latest versions of iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb, and iDVD; and iWork, Apple’s productivity suite for home and office including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

7. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

No need to buy the set. its like saying you can't install the OS without the iWork and iLife.

So yes, you can install Snow Leopard from Tiger.

8. raffyzamora

raffyzamora Member

I almost started a new topic on this one... this forum is just the best! Thanks!

9. Drew4601

Drew4601 Member

powermac deceived me into paying 1k for them to install 10.5.8 into my previous macbook before going snow leopard.

10. empty

empty Active Member

I think "decieved" is a bit strong. Apple requires Leopard to be installed for you to use the Snow Leopared upgrade DVD (The P1500 DVD). So powermac is just folowing Apples policy. To upgrade from Tiger to Snow leopard directly you should buy the P7000+ Mac Box Set.

Now whether that P1000 charge to update Tiger to Leopard is an official upgrade is another question. Did they give you a Leopard DVD?

11. Drew4601

Drew4601 Member

nope. no leopard dvd. well if you put it that way, then okay i guess deceived was too strong. apologies :)

12. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

P1000 would not buy you an OS X dvd. OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update is free. What you were charged is probably a professional fee.

13. Gelatinx

Gelatinx Member

How about iWork and iLife? Is it possible install the lower versions after upgrading to Snow Leopard? just so there's no need for me to upgrade iWork ;)

14. katyfan

katyfan Member

I'm also installing SL from Tiger. Is it possible to install SL without wiping the HD clean? Though it is a good idea, I don't think I'd have time for erasing, cloning, than reinstalling programs on my HD.

15. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

yes but i recommend that you do a clean install because there are softwares that will run on tiger but will not run on snow-leopard... at least during re-installation of these softwares you would immediately know which ones are not compatible.
    i also do remember here that people who have opted for an upgrade installation experienced various weird problems with their mac os x and softwares than those who did a clean install.
    lastly, you would be able to maximize your harddrive's disc space if you do a clean install because with upgrade installation, files of the old OS will still be there.

16. katyfan

katyfan Member

Great point. Now to find the time to actually clone and migrate my files...

17. katyfan

katyfan Member

One more question - does Snow Leopard use considerably more resources (RAM) than Tiger? I'm asking this because I'm planning an upgrade, but if SL will considerably slow my system down, then I might not bother. Here are my specs: 2006 Mac Mini 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo 2 GB (upgraded from 1GB) MHz DDR2 SD RAM Tiger OS Any thoughts?

18. elbert

elbert Active Member

2GB is perfectly fine. That machine will cope very well.

There are two versions of the SL installer DVD. One is an upgrade and the other is a full install (box set). Both will install on a clean drive with no problem, but the upgrade version will look for Leopard if there's an existing OS in the drive.

Although you can safely and easily update from Tiger to Snow Leopard (granted you have the correct version of the installer), my recommendation is to replace your hard drive with a new one, as they are relatively cheap these days. Install Snow Leopard and all the apps you intend to use. You can use either the upgrade or the full version to do this.

Place your old hard drive into an external enclosure (these days, they cost between P200 to P500 at PC Express) and connect that to your computer via USB. Launch Migration Assistant and import your old account/s and, optionally, your Applications. If you include the apps, only those not present in your new Applications folder, and those that have a later version, will be imported (i.e. Mail, Address Book, etc will not be included since SL has newer versions of these apps).

When all is done, you should have a really smooth Snow Leopard running in your Mac with all your old files and settings where you last left them in Tiger. Your old drive can either be set aside as an archive, or reformatted as a Time Machine or extra drive.

19. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Actually, the $30 version won't check (clean install wise) for Leopard on existing Tiger Macs. though if you want to do an upgrade, then it will check.

20. katyfan

katyfan Member

So does that mean that if I get the $30 version, I will have to do a clean install and cannot do an upgrade?