This thing has been bothering me for the past few days

Discussion in 'Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express' started by kaloyster, Aug 7, 2008.

1. kaloyster

kaloyster Member

[​IMG]

I dunno where did this come from. I just noticed it when I was connecting to the PC on my LAN and it's there. Getting Info about it gives me nothing. Just the "Mac Server" thing. I cannot access anything from it. Is it a virus? Or someone has been able to connect to my network and hogging all my WiFi? I'm not quite sure, because I have a secure password for my router so I really don't know what / who it is.

2. mousehole

mousehole Active Member

I was going to guess it was someone mooching off of your WiFi, but since you have a secure password, that's obviously not the case...

You might not be able to access it by Finder, but I'm thinking you could try and see if the same device appears as a shared library on iTunes :O

3. wizowsky

wizowsky Member

i guess someone's connected to your wifi network. best thing to do is to access your wifi router configuration and change your security password.

4. Bulakbol

Bulakbol Active Member

It happened to me also, I allowed my friend's laptop to connect to my wifi network at home. I have a secure password but I added my friend's computer to the "allow" list. From then on, whenever my friend would visit me his computer name would appear under Shared. Maybe someone has gained access to your network once without your knowledge and now your network recognizes that computer whenever it is within range.

5. eyepon

eyepon Member

some1 is connected to your wifi network, if you dont know who it is just dive into the router and tick the users/allow list of clients

6. Gomi

Gomi Active Member

To double check if the network user is really on your network or just a "Phantom Menace of the Sidebar"... In the Finder, choose Go > “Connect to Server.” Click Browse. The computers on your network with sharing services turned on are displayed in a Finder window. If it isn't there then it may just be a remnant of a previous share that never went away.

7. kikoreta

kikoreta Active Member

We use Smart bro in the office and a lot of computers can be seen in the network. I think its the nature of smart bro. maybe your problem is similar to that.

8. Gomi

Gomi Active Member

This only happens if the computer is directly connected to the Motorola Canopy, since the Smart BROken system acts like one giant Wifi network. If you are connected to Smart BROken through a router, like kaloyster is, then the other users in your area shouldn't show up in your private Network.

9. Libra

Libra Member

@ caloyster

That means someone is hooked on your wifi access. That's typical in our office since we use wifi access as well. We could see the others in the office using the wifi. Unfortunately, our office prefers it not to protect the access so we could also see other users as well. We don't mind actually since they're only 1 or 2 users not coming from the office.

And don't worry you can't access them and vice-versa, it's password protected. In our office when we need to send a file to an associate, we use this to transfer/get files. In this process, it's password protected so you can send/receive without your password. :)

10. kaloyster

kaloyster Member

I tried Gomi's suggestion, and the only thing I saw is my PC.

I have another theory about this, do you guys use the Remote (iTunes app)? I turned the "Stay Connected" option to On and I think that might be it. I'll turn it off and get back for updates.

11. Bulakbol

Bulakbol Active Member

Yes, Stay connected also on.

12. kaloyster

kaloyster Member

[​IMG]
    Well it's not the Remote app from my iPod Touch.

The damn thing is still there. I really don't know how to block or remove it. Please anyone who knows about Mac networking and stuff guide me on how to remove it from some sort of list :(

13. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm sorry but I can't help but notice more share libraries are being added to your sidebar.

Do post another picture after time! haha

14. Bulakbol

Bulakbol Active Member

I can't remember how I deleted my friend's computer name from my sidebar. Argh.

Edit: Do you connect at home via a router? What if you delete your preferred network in System Preferences - Network - Airport then join the network again?

#14 Bulakbol, Aug 7, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  15. kaloyster

kaloyster Member

Nope. The "beesnest" is my PC. "Girippetta" is the mysterious one.

16. Shredplayer

Shredplayer Guest

open terminal type killall Finder.

17. kaloyster

kaloyster Member

Tried it. Still there.

18. Shredplayer

Shredplayer Guest

disconnect from the network first then do the terminal command and if it did'nt work you have to remove com.apple.Finder.plist to get rid of it (finder setting will return to default though) and if for some reasons it won't go away when connected to a network it just mean that it's really connected to your network, configure your router : change SSID name, Do not Broadcast SSID, MAc Address Filtering and WPA for security, do not use WEP since it can be hack easily with right tools.

#18 Shredplayer, Aug 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2008
  19. Libra

Libra Member

I think you need to reset your wifi access. The reason why that is hooking up is because you are discoverable.

20. kaloyster

kaloyster Member

How can I reset the wifi access? And yeah I'm using the WEP one. Where in the Linksys page can I access the SSID and stuff? And to Shredplayer, what do you mean about the Finder returning to default? If I remove the com.apple.Finder.plist will my Mac generate a new one?