Thing's You've Learned (while at home)

Discussion in 'General OT' started by ice, Apr 21, 2020.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

raypin and Mykolant like this.
  2. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Speaking of ampalaya, many of you would already know this, but I only just now learned why ampalaya is bitter...

Kasi hindi siya sinama sa Bahay Kubo

#22 SE20, Apr 24, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  3. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

It takes 207 steps to go around the perimeter fence of my house. I extended each lap to about 350 steps by zigzagging or making U-turns. I walk more than 6,000 steps in the morning before breakfast. That's about 4.8 kilometers. My daily total steps is now more than 10,000 or about 7.8 kilometers. The best time to walk is around or before 8:00 am. The worst time is at 11:00 am to noon because the summer heat will cook you. The second best time to walk is 6:00 to 8:00 pm at night right after dinner.

I've been doing this for more than two weeks. My thigh and leg muscles are now very firm. But the rest of me is still flabby. My beer belly is smaller, but my weight has stayed the same. I suspect (hope) the weight is due to muscle formation in my legs. I've cut down on snacks of chips (Lays, Doritos, Chippy, Clover) and nuts (garlic peanuts, almonds and Ding Dong), i.e., I only eat them every other day as a reward. I also try to eat only two meals a day, brunch and dinner.

raypin, Mykolant, gaol and 2 others like this.
  4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

9. Found out that the best routine per day is this:

0545H Wake up
    0630H Brisk Walk 5K or 1Hr tops
    0730H Clean car, surroundings, dog shit, etc
    0830H Light breakfast
    0900H Bath, dress up, stretch at desk
    0930H Start of parang WFH
    1200H End session, eat lunch (unless I cook lunch so I end at 1130H)
    1330H Continue WFH
    1430H Power nap (20 minutes to 1 hour if my wife forgets me at the couch)
    1500H Merienda hehe
    1510H Resume WFH
    1600H Stretch outside, clean surroundings, dog shit, etc.
    1620H Resume WFH
    1730H Eat dinner (or if I cook again I end at 1710H)
    1800H Resume WFH, drink one half glass wine, grab my wife’s snacks
    2000H Power down, call daughter and grandson in USA
    2100H Ready to bed, surf a bit to lull to sleep
    2130H Lights out. Off to dreamland.

Next day, same routine. Basically, almost the same schedule before I retired and before lockdown, except prepping meals. So PhD ko na ito.

greta87, raypin, gaol and 5 others like this.
  5. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

Interesting that you have dinner early. :)

Mykolant likes this.
  6. hitme64

It’s a habit. Started nearly 50 years ago by my mother. Strict ang parents ko. :LOL:;)

Godfather, raypin and pandecoco like this.
  7. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Too real.

A most recent realisation that has kept the back of my mind busy is what kind of job to have post-pandemic.

I was interviewing for a mktg/sales role at a branded transport company (i.e. used car saleman) right before the shut down announcement so that didn't pan out.

Most businesses here in my neck of the woods (Atlantic Canada) might never open up after all this is over. April is the start of the tourist season, when the first of many cruise ships start docking, bringing in a throng of moneyed retirees from the US and Europe, and fuel the lucrative travel and tourism industry. That won't happen anymore.

Obviously, the many locals who lost their jobs will be first-choice by the few businesses that will survive and start rehiring.

But we continue to count our blessings that we made it out of NYC before "the virus hit the lung." The wife still has a job and working from home, waiting for the go-signal for day care centres to reopen.

Maybe I'll get around to more worthwhile pursuits soon, or learn a new skill.

Thankful that we are able to hunker down during these trying times. This too shall pass.

pochiman, hitme64, Godfather and 6 others like this.
  8. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

I learned:

that for a household of 6, 10kg rice can last 2.5 weeks. We only take 2 full meals a day, which we’ve been doing almost 2 years now (it’s only now I paid attention to our actual consumption). But instead of 6am & 5pm pre-ECQ, it’s now 11am & 6pm.

There’s at least 10 ways to cook eggs and that you can have breakfast for dinner

that I can finish 7 novels in 5 weeks. Pre-ECQ, it was 1 a month

that I can actually enjoy K-drama (CLOY was our first)

that shopping for vegetables & seafood can be tricky. “Farm fresh” or “all natural “ eggs don’t mean squat.

that I never thought I’d miss my barber this much. Landers members get free haircuts and I’m sorry I took it for granted :ROFLMAO:

That being holed up for weeks isn’t bad at all. But then I’m one who doesn’t enjoy social functions and would rather spend Friday nights at home, with the family

My favorite: I learned that bathing outside is liberating. After a supply run, I head directly to the back of our house where the mighty timba and tabo combo await, I strip down, butt naked with only my crocs on and bathe like I did when I was a child. Sure there’s no pressurised nozzles, heater & ‘piped in music’, but a cool breeze brushing up against my skin on a warm summer day, freedom! :D

happy weekend folks!

pandecoco, hitme64, Godfather and 4 others like this.
  9. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...my day and night...

wake up at around 11 am.
    coffee and read the news specially from who.
    Look for opportunities to buy stocks PSE specially when the local market is bleeding red.
    Lunch at 12.
    Siesta time.
    Help my cook prep and cook dinner and prep dinner (marinate, brining) for the next day (around 4 pm)
    Dinner at 6:30 to 7
    Watch TV
    Open CNBC Live and listen, read biz news.
    Prepare midnight snack.
    Start trading wall st at 9:30 till 3 to 4 AM (will probably go all-in by July to Dec once the worst is over in the USA.) Amazon has had an amazing run year to date because of covid.
    Eat midnight snack.
    Sleep at around 5 am.
    Exercise? I am a certified master couch potato.

My last grocery run was March. Never been outside the subdivision for nearly a month. It is good that the small, independent neighborhood grocery near me still delivers via Grab food so I can access the wet markets and supermarket at anytime of the week. Paid all my bills via online so I am always up to date and no arrears.

only lessons to learn? Adapt fast. Life will be harder this year and next. Contingency planning is now more important than ever.

#29 raypin, Apr 25, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    greta87, pandecoco, Mykolant and 2 others like this.
  10. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

what I've learned.? work, whether in the office or at home, is still a b*tch... but can't really complain... whatever brings in the moolah..

11. hitme64

greta87 likes this.
  12. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

Wow... like mirror images except I'm in the heart of Toronto. Ever since I got laid off doing tech support work last December, I've pretty much stuck to a routine going on 5 months now, honing my mediocre coding skills in JS (JavaScript). I don't have a CS background so I started from scratch. The missus has been working from home ever since the pandemic started here. This helps me focus on learning React and Vue on the frontend and Node on the backend, allowing me to create a simple online portfolio where I post my projects while I code along and understand how a full stack application comes into being from start to finish. I just try to rifle through a set of Udemy courses since they're the cheapest, supplemented by a few YT channels, followed along with a daily helping of JS cardio (which allows the logic and syntax to sink in), solving data structure and algorithm based exercises off of LeetCode. I feel like "I'm starting to get it, nodding my head as I do" and that I'm already half way there.

Funny thing is, the moment I stopped wasting time sending a daily barrage of LinkedIn applications that resulted in near zero callbacks, that's when I started receiving remote interview requests (twice a week at the minimum) from companies I never even applied for in spite of my lack in experience relative to most. I haven't gotten lucky just yet and I'd be the first to admit that it stings every time I get the reject letter and it feels quite frustrating. But though I've failed in all of them, I just kinda got used to it and make a mental record of what I still need to improve on. I look at it in a positive way because them calling without me even applying has got to mean I'm doing something right. It's just a matter of bringing the pieces together since only one of them needs to say "yes" anyway. I feel really lucky because we have EI over here and I still have 5 months left before mine runs out. I'm just doing the best I can, with the time I have along with the resources I've been given. Coding is difficult, it has a steep learning curve, a lot of moving parts and it's way outside my comfort zone. I just felt like doubling down because I've got nothing to lose anyway and I believe it's worth doing; the effort, pain, frustration and all.

One more thing. In case anyone's looking and because I remember someone asking, I came across these two sites, having filtered them out amongst the many. They might be worth a look:
    https://weworkremotely.com/
    https://remoteok.io/

And for our better halves:
    https://powertofly.com/

bowser, SE20, pandecoco and 4 others like this.
  13. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

Same! Conditioned by my grandfather. :)

hitme64 likes this.
  14. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

Learned to take more Milky Way shots using my phone from our roof deck aka sampayan :)

LRM_EXPORT_271708332635252_20200427_152603845.jpeg

15. hitme64

Finally! Solved a Rubik’s Cube! In 4 hours :ROFLMAO: With a little help from YouTube

Things we do to pass the time ;)

greta87, macjobber and docjbr like this.
  16. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

I'm noticing more the stars, specifically the southern cross in our lanai area where I always spend the night browsing. I'm also noticing how it moves by the hour.

greta87 likes this.
  17. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

You’ll get down to less than 2 minutes in a few days(y)

greta87 and hitme64 like this.
  18. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

Download the Star Walk 2 app and you'lll be appreciating the night sky more because you'll be seeing the names of the constellations, stars and planets. Just open the app, point the camera towards the sky and you'll see the names.

You can even see where the live location of the center of the Milky Way galaxy is :)

ronjet, Mykolant, SE20 and 2 others like this.
  19. hitme64

Marie Kondo-izing our home right now gave me some motivation of sorts. Apparently, a missing PHP1,000 which magically disappeared years ago has just been found, crumpled, molded but still alive. I believe my wife has kept more of these in her endless shoe boxes, bag boxes, eco-bags, and plastic bins and cookie and biscuit tins and, why do women have to hoard these things anyway?

Just getting through these junk will take all day, worst until the end of ECQ.

fcdiesta, ronjet and Mykolant like this.
  20. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

Oh thanks for the tip. I just downloaded "night sky" last night but haven't yet tried it. OK, will try too the "Star Walk 2." And will again stargaze. I hope the moon isn't too bright yet tonight. :)