thin horizontal line across Powerbook display

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by C9, Sep 21, 2006.

1. C9

C9 Active Member

A thin line has appeared across my 12" Powerbook 867mhz display, about as thin as the black line below the PhilMUG logo. The color at start up is sometimes black, other times white, then after several seconds turns light blue/black/white in segments and dots across the whole line. Doesn't come out it in screen captures though. Any ideas on how to get rid of it?

#1 C9, Sep 21, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  2. sigismondi

sigismondi Guest

naku that happen to me, kung may apple care ka pa, try having it fix sa mac center, cause daw yung ng irregular fluctuation ng electric current.

3. shadowfax

shadowfax Member

it could be an lcd prob...

4. C9

C9 Active Member

It's out of warranty. Unfortunately, LCD needs to be changed.

5. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

ugh, that's an expensive fix. i suggest you go to ebay for a replacement LCD (i see one right now for about $180). otherwise, places like techrestore.com will do it for around $350--not cheap, either way, and it will involve shipping to/from the US, unless you buy one off ebay and have ynzal do the replacement.... but make absolutely sure it's the screen that needs replacement, since it could just be a faulty video cable, which is a lot cheaper.

6. C9

C9 Active Member

Thanks for the advice. About 3 shops have checked my PB and all confirm it's a busted LCD and not a faulty display cable. The line is thin enough that I can live with it. I just use it primarily for travel anyway and have a 15" PB for main use. With the rugged modes of transport the PB has gone through, it's a testament to the Pbook's durability that it hasn't developed more serious problems.

ebay will still be an option, especially if the line grows more irritating. During a slide show a smart aleck asked why i have a telephone line running through my pictures.

7. lotusflowergurl

i am also seeing this just recently.. pero may times po na nawawala din.. may na stuck po kasi na dvd and nag appear sya everytime i log in. what could've gone wrong? :(

#7 lotusflowergurl, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  8. joy08

joy08 Member

Is your mac have apple care? if it is under warranty try to visit digital hub, liteware, powermac. or nearest apple center have it check.

9. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

powerbooks are, sadly, out of warranty but there's a fix available in tipidpc c/o mark17 who i am sure may have replacement lcds for old 'books...

10. lotusflowergurl

@ joy08 - wala na warranty eh.. i had that laptop since 2005. :)

@ hitme64
    - oo nga eh..will check your advice. sana medyo cheap lang. thanks!