Thermal paste reapplication and cleaning

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mark.rupido, Nov 27, 2018.

1. mark.rupido

mark.rupido Member

Is there a shop that does this?
    I own a 2015 13 " macbook pro and lately it has been slowing down and heats up easily as well as consumes the battery faster. Battery cycle is at 200+ and holds a charge of 85% from the original charging capacity. Can cleaning the insides of the laptop be beneficial as well as re applying a quality thermal paste to the processor. TIA

2. snipes

snipes Active Member

Yes it can and am I am thinking of doing this in all my old Macs

3. mark.rupido

mark.rupido Member

DIY or in a reputable shop?

4. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Cleaning the innards, especially a filthy fan, will definitely help in cooling. However, make sure first that the heating issue is not software related or the temps are nowhere beyond the design limits. Otherwise you might just waste time and money on an unnecessary thermal paste reapplication.

Cleaning the fan is relatively easy to DIY but reapplying thermal paste, while moderately easy for the technically inclined, can sometimes lead to more problems or at least result to no significant gain.

I cleaned and reapplied paste on a handfull of laptops, most of which are owned by relatives and friends. Some of the innards, especially the fan(s), are pwede na patubuan ng toge sa kapal ng alikabok. But I am yet to find a thermal paste reapplication job for laptops that significantly does it supposed job.

In hindsight, those who asked for it were using heavy apps or have virus/malware infection that tend to push the processor to its thermal limits. They, and initially, I, thought that reapplying paste will solve or at least significantly reduce heat for those who use power hungry apps. But as I said, I am yet to find one that satisfied our curiosities.

I got the more expensive thermal paste variants but seen nothing earth shaking for both mac and windows laptops. Its not the same however for desktops. Probably because of better cooling design implementations. There are also times that I damaged some internals during the disassembly and reassemble processes and had at least 2 instances where the paste applied caused the temps to spike up even more; due probably from errors in the application or curation process. The spike in temps became apparent only after a couple of weeks and required another reapplication to fix.

Sorry for making this a bit lengthy. I just thought of trying out my new wireless keyboard. :D

mark.rupido likes this.
  5. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

My office has a couple of old iMacs that were heating up fast. I got a third party repairshop to open them and it had cakes of dust in it. I guess it only makes sense, these things suck up lots of dusk because of its fans. Cleaned them up and they function normally again.

Zoey likes this.
  6. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Following this thread as I'm also curious. I always use my MBP in a somewhat dusty location. I think Ynzal is a good option, though I don't know if they offer this service.

7. mark.rupido

mark.rupido Member

Some compressed air cans that I saw spew out some liquid. Would this damage the internals? TIA

8. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Electronic circuits + liquids (H2O) = bad news. I usually use a vacuum cleaner and a small brush to reach into nooks and crannies. I just be careful not to put the mouth of the cleaner’s hose too close or dead flat on the circuit board where tiny connectors, common in mac laptops, might get sucked in.

I usually remove fans for more thorough cleaning when vacuuming won’t suffice, especially since dust usually set below them.

In case some liquid gets onto the circuit board (like sweat dripping from my head :D), I make sure to wipe it dry or put pure alcohol first and let dry before powering on.

9. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Probably half of the cleaning process is simply opening up and putting back the bottom lid of your MBP. You can check outright how much dust and dirt are in it after opening. You can either use a soft brush, vacuum cleaner or compressed air, whichever is available and comfy to use. There’s nothing really fragile as long as you focus on removing dust and small dirt and don’t disassemble anything else if you might not be upto it. Just be careful though with the vacuum sucking small connectors or compressed air cans with liquids, as mark.rupido mentioned.

porkypork likes this.
  10. donetus

donetus New Member

replacing thermal paste on your MBP 13" 2015 is quite easy .. as long as meron kang 5-point screwdriver.

I would suggest using Arctic MX-4 for the thermal paste. I've tried Grizzly Kryonaut and there wasn't any noticable diff sa temp.