There are ANTS under my keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by mig, Jun 11, 2009.

1. mig

mig Active Member

I'm panicking here. Came home from school and lifted the lid on my MBP. Found a few ants on the palm rest. Just brushed them away casually and proceeded to turn on the laptop.

The lights came on and ants started crawling out from under the keys! Is there anything I can do?

HELP!

2. mannyespejo

mannyespejo Active Member

use insecticide?

3. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

See if the problem persists. If not, then it's probably an isolated incident. Do you eat (messily) in front of your MBP? Do you use your MBP after touching food without cleaning your hands first? It's possible you placed your unit in an area where there were ants and they somehow wandered into your MBP.

If the problem persists, then there could be ants "residing" inside your MBP. It's happened to some folks before. In that case, you may have to bring your unit to a service center for cleaning.

4. gang_armani

gang_armani Active Member

hahaha, you must be snacking while using your laptop.

Thing is,I have noticed too many ants around these couple of days. Must have sumtin to do with the rainy days...hahahaha

5. mig

mig Active Member

I'm afraid spraying something directly onto the keyboard might damage something inside. Would it be possible to have it taken apart at an authorized center to have them clean it out? I'm scared they might have colonized inside or something. It happened to one of our cars seemingly overnight, so its possible

6. mig

mig Active Member

I eat every now and then, but definitely not messily. I also keep my hands food-free before using it. There's a bag of chocolated coated nuts on my desk a few inches away from the laptop. Oddly enough, the chocolate has been left untouched and yet my laptop seems to be ant filled.

And as I'm typing this, an ant just crawled out from under my 4 button. :slanted:

Would it cost me to have a service center open it up and clean it?

7. gang_armani

gang_armani Active Member

I am sure they have managed to bring in some food inside your keyboard. In that case you really have to bring it for cleaning.

8. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

bring it to the authorized service center to have it clean but... take note, make an arrangement that they will not put in record that they clean it due to ants, if your laptop goes something wrong (hopes it will not) apple will (maybe) connects that ants damaged something in your laptop and may void the warranty

9. mig

mig Active Member

Will it cost me to have it cleaned?

And how will I do that?

10. cubee

cubee Member

try and observe if there will be more ants coming out... they normally come out when your laptop is on due to the heat... :)

11. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

as far as i know, if the unit is still under warranty, you can ask an authorized service centers to clean your unit for free, i knew that because i already asked istudio and digital hub last month about ants because i read in this site(philmug) that there were ants coming from their laptops specially mac (maybe mac is the sweetest than any other laptops :D) they said (istudio and digital hub) that they will clean it and check for possible damaged the ants done but if they saw nothing they will not put on record that they clean it due to ants.

12. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

And to add to that, run your lappie as warm as it gets (burn a CD/DVD or something; multiplex an iMovie file, etc.) until all the ants come out. When you're done, wipe your desk thoroughly with a rag soaked with dishwashing liquid, and your wrist rest and keys with microfiber laced with a little soap (not dripping at all). A quick pass with a strong vacuum cleaner may also help (suck, not blow).

Protect your desk from insects with a swipe of insecticide chalk at the base or feet.

Other tips above are also helpful (vis-a-vis personal eating habits).

13. mig

mig Active Member

Wouldn't running the laptop hot end up killing the ants inside? This is making my head hurt. Another one just crawled out of the space bar.

Earlier they were coming out in 2's and 3's. Now just an occasional one pops out from underneath.

14. stevezone

stevezone Active Member

is there a way that you can try to flip your mac upside down and do a soft shake? it might help? please make sure to turn off first your mac.. just to share something :)

15. mig

mig Active Member

Takes quite a bit of effort to shake ants off a bit of bread. Don't think they'd be shaken off from underneath the keys. I wouldn't want to give a laptop a strong shake either. Might dislodge some moving parts or accidentally let go:slanted: Thanks for the suggestion!

16. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

They'll go out when the temp becomes uncomfortable but not yet lethal for them. What you need is constant heat and the fans are turning fast to really bother the ants. The ant 'leader' then tells the colony, 'let's get the hell out of here!'.

You can also remove the keys from their catches to clean off the bits and gunk inside the keyboard platform.

17. mig

mig Active Member

I just pop the keys out? Wouldn't that damage the keyboard? I had a look at the ifixit teardown and they opened it from underneath to get to the keyboard.

18. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

sometimes, ants want the warmth and humming of the mac (some ants love machines!), happened to me a few years ago. what I did was I turned off my mac so they would go out of the mac when it cooled. Before they came out I wrote ant chalk marks at the sides of the mac. They died when they crossed the ant chalk marks, I didn't have to wait until all ants are out as the chalk took care of them. ant trap! :p

19. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

this might be a stupid question, but is your MBP a unibody or an older model?

cos the one time i experienced a certified ant attack was when i was still using an ibook where the keyboard could still be lifted from the unit. when i did, i saw a couple of dead ants.

someone told me that for some reason ants are also attracted to electricity and swarm around power outlets too. dunno why tho.

and can one effectively counter the ants if one owns a unibody - err, macbook pro, and how?

20. mig

mig Active Member

I'm confused now. A few months back, ants infested the aircon of our car. We were told that they were looking for a cold place to stay and were attracted to low temperatures.

Now the ants are inside a pretty hot computer? :slanted: I'll try heating it up first. I'll run a few games and see if they scramble out. I'll try your suggestion next. I already tried opening it up but got confused with the number of screws involved with removing the logic board.

I'm on a unibody MBP. If I look at it from an angle, I can actually see some of them from underneath the keys. Currently one is trying to get out from under the one key...