The WINDOWS Thread (8,9,10 and beyond!)

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by Bluekaze, Sep 14, 2011.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm....Surface laptop (2018, entry level specs) sells for as low as USD 644.00 (fulfillment by Amazon). Infinitely better choice than the Surface Go (with the keyboard and pen) at just. Usd100 more.

2. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

And, definitely cheaper than a current MacBook or MacBook Air. Of course, this means you're not completely tethered to the Apple universe.

3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Ah damn, the sweetheart of my early geekhood is calling it quits. So sad to see you go Win7. You've been running my digital life since Win98 let go. It was nice having you around when 1Ghz desktops were the fastest animals on the table.
    5A576584-8F1C-426C-96B6-151A138C5718.jpeg

Sunil_K and raypin like this.
  4. max_Moon

max_Moon Well-Known Member

I think windows 7 will still be functioning. It won’t get anymore updates though....and ms will nag you more often to upgrade.

5. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

Yeah it will still function of course. But you have to consider that not getting updates would mean your system could potentially have some serious vulnerabilities / bugs that would never get fix anymore.

6. hitme64

And that is why Microsoft gave out this warning. Use it at your own risk. But why bother?

7. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

8. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

Where can i purchase a reasonbly priced windows 10 license for my newly built pc?
    I checked with the microsoft online store and the price for the home version is 9,999.99.

maybe you guys know a seller that has a lower price.

thanks!

9. raypin

Mm....try PC Gilmore....they sell the Windows 10 64 bit home edition OEM license for php 6,240. This license is for one machine only.

Also available from Questlogic, PC Hub, Villman and other legitimate reseller. Inquire.

#269 raypin, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    potpot2 likes this.
  10. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

FYI. An OEM license allows you to install it on one PC and that PC alone. The license dies with the system, specifically, the motherboard. In other words, you can't transfer an OEM license to a new system. You can upgrade all other parts like memory, CPU, HDD/SSD, etc.

I would prefer the retail version for future-proofing. The Microsoft US website sells the Home edition for USD139 (approx. PHP 7k) and can be downloaded immediately.

Roman likes this.
  11. hitme64

Updated to newest OS my Surface Pro the moment I arrived from the US and found it snappier, faster and more responsive. Even the gestures on tablet mode are clean and quick. I tried replacing the Type Cover with a BT keyboard I got from the Microsoft Store NYC and it just synced and worked great.

This says something about MS and their products being exceptionally efficient despite the “bad rap” from, ehem, Apple users.

raypin likes this.
  12. potpot2

But when i checked earlier the price is stated in php and it is 9,999.00

and is this downloadable version allowed to be used again in a future new pc if ever? Thanks!

13. oj88

I used this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/windows-10-home/d76qx4bznwk4?activetab=pivot:eek:verviewtab

Just above the "Add to cart" button, you have the option to download it upon payment or purchase it in a USB thumb drive.

As to your 2nd question, that's affirmative. That's the whole point of a retail version/license.... you can transfer it from PC to PC for as long as you maintain only a single instance of Windows.

From: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windows-10-license-new-pc/

potpot2 likes this.
  14. potpot2

Do i input a fictitious us address? Will it accept a locally issued cc?

15. oj88

Not sure. Full transparency, I haven't gone that route yet as far as purchasing Microsoft products. I merely pointed you to an option you can explore.

That said, your trepidation is justified. Apologies in advance if this turns out to be a wild goose chase.

hitme64 and potpot2 like this.
  16. potpot2

Hey no need to apologize. I’m really glad that there are many like you here in philmug always ready to help out.

oj88 likes this.
  17. raypin

mm...recycling OEM is doable but you need to call Microsoft PH to send you a new code in case you need to replace your motherboard.

But, mobos lasts a very long time. By the time you need to replace them, Windows 10 is passe....Baka 128 bit Windows 100 na. So, retail Windows 10 becomes less of an issue.

hitme64 and potpot2 like this.
  18. max_Moon

max_Moon Well-Known Member

Several years ago, I had to call MS to activate Windows after I upgraded my PC.

The motherboard started having issues earlier this year so I had to replace it. After reinstalling Windows 10 and logging into my MS account, I was pleasantly surprised that Windows 10 was automatically activated. I think MS has already changed its activation policies regarding motherboard replacements.

hitme64, potpot2 and raypin like this.
  19. raypin

Mm...even better. When I had a busted mobo, I had to call them. This was decades ago.

20. hitme64

Reinstalling a Windows 10 on a gaming pc that I built a year ago automatically activated after I had to replace a defective motherboard. I didn’t even know it was an “issue” to do so ;)

When I needed to reinstall a Windows Vista on a new laptop without any OS, I did email Microsoft Support Center PH on whether I could reuse it again. Like @raypin said, they actually send you a new code. But that was before Win 10.

potpot2 likes this.