The WINDOWS Thread (8,9,10 and beyond!)

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by Bluekaze, Sep 14, 2011.

1. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

Slightly off-topic:

Where can I find slightly used ThinkPad laptops for sale aside from OLX and TipidPC? Some of them are also on Facebook.

Thanks!

2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I hope schools realize this is better than an iPad...
    4 GB RAM, 64 GB SSD, Wi-Fi: $399

Microsoft’s Surface Go tablet has a 10-inch screen and starts at $399 | The Verge

3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I have to tell you, even if THIS IS AN APPLE FORUM, my foray back to Windows has been quite better and actually bug-free...Windows 10 is up there right now and it’s interoperability with other systems make it the best adaptable OS now...of course, I’m talking about now...

I still am an active iPhone user but if and when Windows Andromeda arrives, that’ll be the day I go Win...

jologs and ronnel0918 like this.
  4. jologs

jologs Member

I absolutely love iOS but MacOS High Sierra just isn't doing it for me. In my experience, Windows 10 is more polished and stable and provides a lot of useful functionality built-in instead of paying for utility apps to get that same functionality on MacOS. Another thing is how the UI of Finder is less intuitive is compared to File Explorer especially when dealing with multiple external drives and networked drives within the same window.

hitme64 likes this.
  5. ice

Yes this is an Apple forum... But I wouldn't say brand A is better than brand B just because I'm in brand A's house :)

I have friends whose schools recommend an iOS device... yes, it basically has everything they'll need...

But kids need to learn MS Office as early as possible, and a full MS Office is way better than the MacOS and iOS versions...

My daughter's school use Google Drive (+ Docs & Sheets), she can do basic Excel stuff, but how I wish they teach her more MS Office in school than having to learn it on her own later...

An entry level Surface is a good and brave move by MS... We'll have to wait and see how this device holds up after 5-10 years of use.

hitme64 and shifty_md like this.
  6. ramil

ramil Active Member

I would also like to let my kids start learning and using Windows. They have been using MacOS since they started using computers. They have been using mostly Google apps, but sometimes they use the Mac version of MS Office. I agree that the Windows version of MS Office is way better.

The newly announced Surface Go is something I will seriously consider getting. Do you know if and where Surface devices are available locally?

7. ice

Anyone here expecting twins?

Maybe 1 kid can grow up exclusively with Apple while the other grows up with Microsoft... Then we can finally see who becomes more productive...

Triplets will be better since the other kid can use Android :)

8. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

I try to use apps that are both in the Mac & Windows platform (same for iOS & Android). My home computer is a mid-2010 MacPro while my traveling laptop is a Surface Pro. Most of my productivity apps can be found in both platforms (Open Office, Evernote, Viber, 1Password, Chrome browser). There are some Mac apps (PDFPen Pro, TextExpander) which are not in the Windows platform but you can find replacement apps for them. I keep iTunes in my Mac but my pics go to Google Photos.

9. dasaint

dasaint Well-Known Member

I am waiting for Surface Go

Ghibli likes this.
  10. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...clearly a compromised machine. It is go cheap, go small. 10” is too small a screen for a laptop replacement. How can you be productive? I see this as more of a media consumption/entertainment/internet browsing machine than a productivity device.

hitme64 and VicB like this.
  11. dasaint

dasaint Well-Known Member

I think i really depends on what productive is . If you are doing video editing and sorts the Surface Go would be underwhelming .

But personally I was able to run my office by email , writing documents, Team Viewer and signing documents on my Ipad Mini with wireless keyboard . I felt i had a mouse I could have worked faster and much efficient .

raypin and hitme64 like this.
  12. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^The Go is supposed to be marketed as an education laptop, clearly designed for kids and teens...but that price is not exactly kid-centered for all we know...

13. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Who is to say that one device is less productive than the other? You can only be productive if you bring it with you.

It’s like the argument a few years ago between carrying a point-and-shoot camera vs a DSLR + lenses. Some people would sacrifice a bit of picture quality so they wouldn’t have to lug around 5 lbs of camera gear.

Some just choose to put a premium on portability.

14. ice

^I'm expecting it to perform better than those S$399 Acer/Asus/MSI laptops

15. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm..pity your kids. Long hours for school and play in front of a teeny weeny screen? Advantage them by gifting an ultrabook (there are tons of good ones) or a Mac or a proper Surface machine. I am not at all convinced with the chip MSFT used and the 9 hours claimed battery life ( which would translate to 5 to 6 hours actual). This is 2018 already.

16. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

The Surface Go is probably meant to compete with the iPad & not the iPad Pro. MSFT's Surface Pro competes with iPad Pro. If that's the case, the SGo might be a little bit underpowered compared to the iPad. Probably still good as a media-consumption device if you're in the Windows platform.

dasaint likes this.
  17. ice

Just realized that at $399
    You need to spend another $100 for the keyboard and another $100 for the pen.

A $499-599 range Acer/Asus/MSI is a better device!

18. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

They should have included the keyboard and pen for free. I hope in the future, they would do this.

19. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

20. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member