The US visa thread (applications, renewals, etc.)

Discussion in 'Travel' started by topaz, Aug 2, 2011.

1. pandecoco

pandecoco Member

No worries, single and got a 10 year us visa, multiple-entry last sept 2018, my second one, and havent used it yet...waiting for CX sale....

hitme64 likes this.
  2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^its not a problem actually for renewals and second timers because we get ours in a breeze...the first timers though will have it more difficult to obtain one nowadays especially if they’re travelling solo, or with relatives and kin stateside, or if at some point they have had past applications that were denied...

Also a tip from a consul friend: Dress appropriately. Don’t come like you’re going on vacation or looking for work. And always be polite and answer the questions asked thoroughly and truthfully. A moment of uncertainty in answering a question from a consul could mean outright denial.

raypin, Juice, eag and 1 other person like this.
  3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....the most important factor: prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you have solid economic roots in the Philippines that would indicate that you do not intend to go TNT.

Also, it depends on the mood of the consular officer. Maybe he or she is having a bad hair day. Malas mo na lang. They are human beings after all.

pandecoco likes this.
  4. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

True story: In one of my client companies, one of the Vice Presidents got denied, her secretary got approved.

That secretary has quite a unique personality, I must add. She's the embodiment of the word "chutzpah." The consul asked her, "So where do you intend to go?" Her reply (annoyed): "Ha? What do you mean? The UNITED STATES!"

She's still there, hasn't returned, haha.

Dekra, Sunil_K, pandecoco and 2 others like this.
  5. hitme64

Of the five consular officers that I know of that the US Embassy employs to handle visa apppovals, three are women, all married, two are men, one single and one married. A lot of those who passed thru them say the the unmarried man is the most strict in questioning, the married male is the most lenient. All three married women vary from less strict to fair to quite lenient depending on the people in front of them.

The single male is now “allegedly” engaged to a Filipina, which by all accounts, ups the ante from his being strict to possibly being fair and lenient so cross your fingers on that.

This tidbit comes courtesy of a rather unsober moment of a top diplomat during a joint foreign relations fellowship last Christmas.

Keep you all informed for some more tidbits...

bugs, Dekra, Sunil_K and 6 others like this.
  6. julmercado

julmercado Active Member

I'm planning to get my kids (all minor) a US Visa. Me and my wife already had a 10 year visa. Any tips?

7. jflorendo

jflorendo Member

We're planning to renew our US visas soon. My wife and I are eligible for interview waiver but our daughter is still a minor. Is it better for all of us to schedule an interview or renew via dropbox for me and my wife then accompany our daughter for her interview? Any tips? Thanks.

8. hitme64

^My own take on this is forego the dropbox and schedule as a family interview...we did this despite me and my wife being eligible for renewal by dropbox...during the interview, I was the only one who was asked questions (like just 3 only) and none for my wife and children (the youngest being a minor)…

We all got 10-year visas for that matter.