The TV Series Discussion Thread (WARNING: Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by ronnel0918, Aug 6, 2015.

1. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

Just started watching last night. & I'm almost done. wow. the violence is extreme but not unnecessary considering the premise.

sabsar likes this.
  2. wem272

wem272 Active Member

For life from abc just concluded its 1st season. 12 episodes and directed by Fifty cent. Story is about an ordinary man who was convicted for a crime he did not commit, he studies and becomes a lawyer. Based loosely on the true to life story of Isaac Wright.

3. greta87

Watching the Warrior on HBO Go.. it's actually a Cinemax feature but made available in our local HBO Go. 8/10

Not bad. features the early days of Chinatown in San Francisco where competing gangs fight for supremacy. based on the writings of Bruce Lee.

SE20, Juice and Sunil_K like this.
  4. sabsar

sabsar Well-Known Member

Afterlife on Netflix... well-written by Ricky Gervais

raypin, ronjet, Theus and 1 other person like this.
  5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I’m not spoiling everybody’s take on The Old Guard but damn, Beric Dondarrion just happens to be alive and well. Seems the god of fire just revived him after the Battle of Winterfell. :whistle:

Mykolant, ronjet and Sunil_K like this.
  6. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

30 Rock came back with a one time special for the launch of Peacock. However it really was just a way to promote Peacock and NBC Universal's line up of shows and offerings. The commercials were part of the show and if it weren't for the ads, this "special" would've been done in around 20 minutes. But you have to hand it them for a great effort in making the show during this pandemic. Some shots look like they were done with a loaded crew but in reality it was just the actors with their family members and in their homes.

Still it was nice to see 30 Rock again 7 years after it ended. Missed seeing Tina Fey, Alec Baldwin, Tracy Morgan, and Jane Krakowski together.

Mykolant, Sunil_K and hitme64 like this.
  7. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

Gangs of London has amazing action scenes. Extremely violent, actually gets me to cringe in some scenes

greta87, ronjet, sabsar and 1 other person like this.
  8. hitme64

Brave New World is now streaming. And it’s not what the great Aldous Huxley had in mind. It’s the kind of butchering writers do to make the source material relevant with the times, and that my friends just suck. The plot is stupid. The actors terribly inundated by the material. The scenes are like Logan’s Run for the New Age. I can sense Colonel Kurtz saying “Terrible, terrible. “

9. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

I find the pilot of Brave New World boring too. The only time I looked at the screen closely was to make sure if that was Demi Moore (and yes it’s her). In episode 2 it gets interesting but I didn’t bother continuing the other episodes. I already lost interest after two episodes.

10. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Didn't this already have a TV show of the same title back in the 80s?

Anyway, I've just started watching "Homeland" and into Season 2. Now I understand why this show had great reviews back when it began.

It's always great to watch Damien Lewis act on-screen.

Plus, of course, Morena Baccarin!

ronnel0918, hitme64 and Sunil_K like this.
  11. hitme64

Blindspot is over. Season 5 just ended and this series is finished. So where did it end up? From the beginning Jane Doe ended up being unzipped from a duffle bag to being zipped into a body bag in the end. So much for its palindromic plot. For 5 seasons Jane and her allies were almost indestructible, until the end took it all away because that ZIP bomb just did enough to end Jane’s life. FWIW, it was Patterson and Rich that provided much of the humanity to this show, even if they didn’t end up with each other. Tasha got her baby but Kurt will live his life without Jane even if he still has his daughter Bethany around. Quite a doozy end actually. Glad it’s over.

Sunil_K and SE20 like this.
  12. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Thanks for the summary! I stopped after Season 2 and glad I did.

hitme64 likes this.
  13. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    ^Thanks, too! I was contemplating on starting on this but after reading your quick summary, I don't think I will now.

hitme64 likes this.
  14. greta87

ha ha. me too.

so where did she come from?

hitme64 likes this.
  15. SE20

I was curious enough to watch the Blindspot finale, after all. I immediately remembered why I left - when Rich Dotcom entered.

And at the end of five seasons, the climax came down to, wait for it, cutting the correct wire on a bomb LOL.

Sunil_K and hitme64 like this.
  16. hitme64

From the duffle bag ;) Actually, she was ZIPped by the CIA to do their dirty jobs, of course, with the help of the FBI Task Force under Kurt Weller. Where she came from originally it was a blur because, hey, they wiped her memory. Unconvincingly they never wrote it out in the end. Just that dream and that reality.

Of course, Reddit is cynically angry. Who wouldn’t be? And true, ever since Rich came in they kind of imploded.

greta87, Sunil_K and SE20 like this.
  17. Ghibli

Ghibli PhilMUG Addict Member

[​IMG]

The first episode is absolutely bonkers and I had plenty of fun. Probably one of the strongest 1st episode of any series to date. Starts with a highly imaginative scene and ends with a jaw dropping cliff hanger. I am a now fan. Here's to hoping the following episodes would match the intensity and grip of the first episode.

9.5/10

Sunil_K and greta87 like this.
  18. SE20

I'm midway through Normal People (Hulu). I can't recall a TV series with this much sex and nudity - you have been warned. The lead actress is a younger, prettier, better-acting British version of Dakota Johnson. The series itself is about a heart-wrenching love.

19. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Crisis on Infinite Earths 7/10. CW DC’s annual crossover ( Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, Flash, Arrow, Batgirl). The plot’s a mess. This is purely fan service folks which isn’t bad. Cameos galore from the 1990s Flash TV series, The early 2000s Birds of Prey,Constantine, Titans, Doom Patrol and yep even Lucifer Morningstar. Brandon Routh donning the red cape once again and of course TV Flash ( Grant Gustin ) meeting Movie Flash ( Ezra Miller). Now if they can just put this on the silver screen and improve on those crappy costumes and CGIs.

Sunil_K likes this.
  20. sabsar

sabsar Well-Known Member

Just finished ‘Little Voice’. Enjoyed it.

Started Young Willander on Netflix. Very good. The older Willander was portrayed by Kenneth Branagh previously.

ronnel0918 and greta87 like this.