The TV Series Discussion Thread (WARNING: Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by ronnel0918, Aug 6, 2015.

1. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^Now I get it why almost all characters in Devs had this wooden acting since Episode 1. It seems the entire series was a simulation designed by the quantum machine to determine the best possible deterministic path for all characters, including that of Forest, Lily, Sergei, Jamie, Lyndon, Stewart, and even Kenton. It seemed like only Katie was the real world character who was looking into the simulation and determining the responses of each individual character. In the end, what the result of their overall interaction was resolved the many-worlds deterministic theory proposed by Lyndon and affirmed by Katie that set up the finale as it were.

Great writing, Alex Garland.

Theus likes this.
  2. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

anybody here watching Doom Patrol? i chanced upon it while searching for interesting TV series to watch. anyway, it has a high imdb rating. so I'm checking it out now. DC series & they were also featured in some episodes of Season 1 of Titans..

so far, so good. I find it hard to binge watch though, since the pace is a bit herky jerky & the fact that it's season 1, so there are stretches where the origin stories of the heroes involved take a lot of time.. but generally, definitely worth wathcing.

Sunil_K likes this.
  3. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Better Call Saul's season 5 just ended this week. Not much of a cliffhanger of an episode for the finale but it does set what the story will be in next year's series finale. Don't know about you but I'm jumping in the Kim Wexler bandwagon because of the events in season 5. I hope they don't kill her in the finale. In the Breaking Bad universe, she's the one female character that's so bad ass after Vince Gilligan made a monster in Skyler White.

4. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

Devs - loved it. that’s how you introduce quantum mechanics in a TV show! If you can get past the lethargic, lazy portrayals, that is. not for everyone but give it a chance, “now this is when you start watching it, it’s pre-determined” ;)

thanks to this thread for introducing us to Devs (y)

hitme64 likes this.
  5. hitme64

^The lethargic, lazy portrayals are intended to show that the characters were actually in a simulation, albeit computer-enhanced and digitally manifested based on the computational framework of the quantum machine. This was the theory shared by most Redditors, to which Alex Garland responded with an emphatic “Well...maybe”. Hahaha Nerd!

manager and Theus like this.
  6. Theus

^just read about this too. Characters had that ‘whatever’ attitude in them. Main characters drew flak from viewers because of this que sera sera portrayal but it kind of worked for me though.

hitme64 likes this.
  7. hitme64

Yes it did. Best to end it that way. No season 2 please.

8. hitme64

Homeland ended today. Been such a long time. Probably the most bittersweet episode of the season and maybe the series, except for episode 1 of season 1. The spy game comes full circle and brings to mind the adage, “if you can’t beat them, join them.”

This is what happens eventually in the end. Is Carrie in a better place now? Will Saul ever forgive her? For those fleeting last four minutes of the show, we all got the answers. Farewell Homeland. It was great watching you.

SE20 likes this.
  9. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

It was a satisfying ending, for me. Once a spy, always a spy.
    And we're not supposed to think that Yevgeny isn't on to her, yes?
    It's like their lives go on, we just won't be along for the ride anymore.

10. hitme64

I don’t think so. Everyone, I think, was made to believe that Carrie was a reluctant double agent and to choose Russia over the US must have satisfied the GRU and Gromov into thinking otherwise. Or maybe, the play was set up by Saul and Carrie before that “end game”, something they knew they had to do to keep the ball rolling. In the end,
    Carrie’s homeland is and still was the United States of America.

11. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

I watched it last year and it was fun!

kyubi and greta87 like this.
  12. sabsar

sabsar Well-Known Member

Gangs of London - dark and violent...

ronjet and Sunil_K like this.
  13. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

[​IMG]

Alex Walker, a former U.S. DEA agent who was forced into early retirement. Once the DEA's most resourceful undercover operative, the combination of his partner's betrayal and a life-threatening battle with hypertension has sent him as far from the madness as he can go -a small tropical island in the Philippine Archipelago.

Stars: Christian Kane, Samantha Richelle, Arthur Acuna, Ces Quesada, Nonie Buencamino etc

ronjet likes this.
  14. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

Total WASTE of time. Don't even consider. I saw the first two episodes -- yeah, gave it a second chance. Poor acting, lousy dialog. This is an attempt to create something like Hawaii Five-O.

hitme64 and Sunil_K like this.
  15. hitme64

Westworld is, well, blah-blah. Except for that mano-e-mano between Maeve and Dolores, which is the best action thing so far this season. Understanding what the hosts want and what the AIs want and what Serac wants are boggling the mind. Hope they finish it all up next episode and then wait another two years for Season 4.

Godfather and Sunil_K like this.
  16. Theus

I miss “Person of Interest”. One of the few series wife & I agreed to binge watch. Still remains as our top choice. “Daredevil” & “Breaking Bad” come close.

A Jonathan Nolan creation, POI starred Jim Caviezel, Taraji Henson & Michael Emerson. Pair Jesus Christ & a tech savvy billionaire, see the future (y) throw in Sameen & Root, you get one of the best on screen girl fights! ;)

hitme64, Quest4dgoodlife and SE20 like this.
  17. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

I still watch the occasional episode on US Netflix. Still holds up today.

Don’t forget Detective Fusco. And the actor who plays Elias appeared in Westworld.

hitme64 and Theus like this.
  18. Theus

aah yes Fusco! Haha interesting character. ‘Elias’ I recall also appeared in “Travelers “, which had potential, but unfortunately lost traction and got canceled.

hitme64 likes this.
  19. hitme64

Root was the epitome of #MeToo Movement even before it gained ground. Amy Acker was incredible here. And yes, Sameen versus Root was the fight that was way better than Dolores versus Maeve.

SE20 and Theus like this.
  20. Quest4dgoodlife

Quest4dgoodlife Active Member

Thank God! Fellow Persons of Interest Fans. Even in the office it was only one other person who watched this! The series was really good, with the introduction of Shaw and Root, then at the end it was the machine vs. Samaritan.

Theus and SE20 like this.