The TV Series Discussion Thread (WARNING: Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by ronnel0918, Aug 6, 2015.

1. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

The Big Bang Theory series finale will be hard to beat ;)

Though I did stop watching after Season 8, or around the time the show lost its premise. Man, what is it with Season 8s :D

jlconferido and hitme64 like this.
  2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^I found Sheldon is funnier than BBT though I found their episodes with Stephen Hawking the funniest.

3. hitme64

Season finale of Killing Eve this week. Props to Jodie Comer for winning BAFTA Best Actress in a Drama beating her TV rival Sandra Oh by a hairline and a knife :LOL:

4. hitme64

Season finale of The Twilight Zone titled Blurryman is the embodiment of art vs entertainment debate and the breaking of the fourth wall. It also provides us with Easter Eggs as to the presence of that blurry figure in past episodes of TTZ reboot.

Season 1 Score: 8/10, just because of that great finale.

5. mysterio

mysterio PhilMUG Addict Member

Not a TV series, more of a one-shot documentary. Secrets in the Sky : The Untold Story of Skunk Works. Very interesting story of how the Lockheed project came to be, why it got the name Skunk Works, the U2, the SR-71 Blackbird (still my favorite aircraft of all time), and the F-117 Nighthawk, Cuban Missile crisis, shooting down of Francis Gary Powers (who was a character in Bridge of Spies starring Tom Hanks, great movie by the way) and the guy behind most of it, the one they called the Steve Jobs of aerospace engineering, Clarence Kelly Johnson.

Fun fact, the SR-71 Blackbird still holds the record for the fastest air-breathing aircraft in the world (2nd fastest overall to the rocket-powered X-15) which is impressive for a plane designed over 50 years ago and until its official retirement in 1999, has never been shot down (due to the fact that the missiles would run out of fuel). It has been cornered by Russian MIG-31s and it took at least 4 of them to scare it away. Its successor, the SR-72 is in the (Skunk :p) works and allegedly can reach speeds of up to Mach 6. :eek:

6. hitme64

New TV series “The Rook” is not about chess. Sorry. It’s a slow-burner, supernatural, espionage, anti-superhero thriller set in modern-day London. It’s about people with extreme variant abilities (EVA). And it’s heroine is name Myfawny. Not to be pronounced as its Welsh derivative Mu-vahh-nee, but more in rhyme with Tiffany. Like My Fanny.

Anyway, it’s on Starz and if you don’t have that then you know where to get it.

#686 hitme64, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  7. Ghibli

Ghibli PhilMUG Addict Member

[​IMG]

Any body here finished watching Big Little Lies from HBO? Season 2 Finale just aired. Excellent season so far. Probably one of the best mini-series, such a stellar cast with amazing performances. Looking forward for the season 3.

SE20 likes this.
  8. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    hitme64 likes this.
  9. mysterio

mysterio PhilMUG Addict Member

Just started watching The Boys, a mature (and I mean mature) comic book series from Amazon. Wow, never thought I'd see this comic book brought to life. So far so good. Looks like Amazon did not cheap out on the budget.

Sunil_K and hitme64 like this.
  10. hitme64

It’s a metaphor waiting to happen with Trump’s America. Maybe by chance, it’ll also get cancelled.

+1 here. Been waiting for this also on Amazon, given the dearth of films and tv serials there. Except for Tom
    Clancy’s Jack Ryan and The Marvelous Mrs Maisel which were watchable throughout, all the other series regulars were kinda so-so and lost steam mid-season, and this goes to Hanna, Bosch, Goliath, Good Omens, Patriot, even The Expanse.

Sunil_K likes this.
  11. hitme64

The Boys Episode 4 shows the guys following some random Noodle Guy to an underground sewer to meet up with two other Asians and hears them speaking in Pinoy! Yup, some writer must’ve written that part for some Chinese dudes and yet they were actually Pinoys speaking our divine language.

Half into the season of The Boys on this lazy and rainy Saturday...

12. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Philosophically, The Boys is an ultra-realistic view of superheroes if they did indeed exist in our world. Why would people with godlike powers spend their time saving the world or helping others? Even our politicians given a bit of power end up abusing it one way or another. Even the most incorruptible eventually become corrupt. Because cliche as it is, power corrupts, and absolute power... well you know the rest.

This series got me interested in the comics, and oh boy. The Amazon show, brutal, graphic and disgusting as it is, is like the PG version of the comics.

I look forward to future seasons of this show. They certainly have more than enough material for a few more seasons. What I like about it is that it is a superhero series made for TV and yet they don't scrimp on the action, special effects and fast paced storytelling. It's so refreshing to watch after having to endure Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Luke Cage and the other Marvel Netflix shows.

Some thoughts :
    Karl Urban should have played Superman when he was younger. He has both the looks and the acting chops to play Kal El.
    I was surprised that Jack Quaid (Hughie) is the son of Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan, no wonder he looked familiar. And now I feel so old.

Sunil_K and hitme64 like this.
  13. hitme64

^Spoiler Alert: these “superheroes” don’t actually have god-like powers gifted to them.

So, technically, they aren’t superheroes. They’re human guinea pigs. Hence, they don’t have the sensibilities of real superheroes. Just a human with a superhero complex. Or a bad case of juicing up too much superhuman steroids.

Godfather likes this.
  14. Ghibli

Ghibli PhilMUG Addict Member

Watched the first episode of The Boys, it’s indeed engaging. Will definitely watch the remaining episodes, reviews has been stellar, saying it’s superior to the comics.

ronjet and hitme64 like this.
  15. hitme64

^Its dark humor that’s icing on the cake. Won’t find that in the comics.

16. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

You’ll enjoy the tv show more if you haven’t read the comics. Though they’ve changed enough things in the show to keep it interesting

Godfather likes this.
  17. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Guess I wasn't the only one who noticed Becca Butcher looks a lot like Megan Markle :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. hitme64

^Not only Billy Butcher’s wife but Bobby Lee Swagger’s in Shooter.

Never was in Suits so I can’t compare :coffee:

Godfather likes this.
  19. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

She was also in The Flash

Godfather and hitme64 like this.
  20. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Thanks for the reco. My wife and I enjoyed this. What an acting tour de force. I actually hope they don't do a Season 3.

Ghibli and hitme64 like this.