The TV Series Discussion Thread (WARNING: Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by ronnel0918, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

^I just watched Episode 1 of Jack Ryan, and I need to get to work!!!

Will continue later...it was a great first episode! Can't wait to watch the rest!

SE20, ronjet and hitme64 like this.
  2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

This is Bodyguard, from the creators of Line of Duty on BBC UK cable...
    This is probably the most intense 17-minute opening scene in TV...

Oh yeah, Rob Stark is here...

SE20, Sunil_K and ronjet like this.
  3. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

It was! Bitin tuloy.

hitme64 likes this.
  4. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

And I need to sleep!

Mykolant likes this.
  5. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

Just finished Season 2 of Westworld. I think I'm gonna need 20 years to process all that information. :confused:

raypin, Sunil_K and SE20 like this.
  6. Ghibli

Ghibli Active Member

I just wished the series would go as far as to show Camille's breakdown and Adora's reaction in learning what Amma did, rather than ending just abruptly. Superb series though, and the girls of Wind Gap may be up for Emmy nods. Will definitely check Big Little Lies.

7. Mykolant

Just finished "Jack Ryan". The final episode was a doozy -- had to suspend my disbelief for a second there near the end.

I like it as a show, not so much as an accurate depiction of the CIA, nor a textbook rendition of Jack Ryan as Clancy envisioned. I'm just happy that the character "lives" at all on the small screen. A whole new Jack Ryan universe where things are not the same materially, but the spirit is there.

Can't wait for the next season.....

ronjet and greta87 like this.
  8. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

Finally get to finish Season 6 of OITNB. What a roller coaster ride! One of the best season finales for this series.

hitme64 likes this.
  9. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

enjoyed season 1. fairly short season of 8 episodes; considering Prime has been promoting this since last year. 10 episodes at least would have been better. :)

hitme64, ronjet and Mykolant like this.
  10. Mykolant

I agree, Atty. Mannix!

I would have thought that going after the main enemy should have been done in two parts. It seemed a bit hurried to have it all resolved in one episode. Parang "The Blacklist" sana where it takes at least 2 episodes to hunt down the bad guy and nail him.

hitme64 and greta87 like this.
  11. SE20

Agree with you both. That heel turn by Suleiman looked rush - from a charismatic leader to just-another-bad-guy.

And I did want to see more of Cathy and Hanin.

hitme64 and greta87 like this.
  12. Mykolant

Maybe he got "shooked" by the fact that his son was taken in by the authorities. Lost his focus after that.

We saw enough of Cathy, but not that frequent, hehe!

I like that bit in the end (first epilogue) about the CIA operative (Matice) who "tidied up" things in Ibrahim's (the smart-looking guy who bombed the pizza place) apartment. For a moment there, I thought he would be the John Clark character in the Tom Clancy books.

ronjet likes this.
  13. SE20

That scene looked like the one near the end of The Departed (movie).

ronjet likes this.
  14. Ghibli

Ghibli Active Member

Season Finale of Castle Rock was a convoluted disappointing mess, it could have been great but it got lost with its own mystery, failing to provide a cohesive and satisfying conclusion. Sigh.

15. Mykolant

Started watching "Condor" to satisfy my withdrawal symptoms from missing "Jack Ryan."

This one is even more stressful but in a nice way! The first 2 episodes are good.

greta87 and hitme64 like this.
  16. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^The season finale is kinda down and out, not much of a bang, just a trudge towards a conclusion with less thought of maybe a season 2 someday...

Apparently, the writers of Condor thought that having Joubert alive and still dangerous wherever she goes would make a better storyline for next season...well, considering that she is probably the most gorgeous female assassin around then why not work on that? Think Villanelle in Killing Eve...

Sunil_K likes this.
  17. SE20

She's certainly easier on the eyes than the original Joubert! The closest to her character would be T1000 in Judgment Day, no?

18. Mykolant

I haven't finished the series yet but good to know Joubert will not be killed anytime soon...

I don't remember the movie at all which is good because I don't have any expectations about the plot and storyline at all.

19. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm...don’t like the actor playing Jack. Ibalik si Harrison Ford. :D

The President: How dare you come in here and lecture me!

Jack Ryan: How dare *you*, sir!

The President: How dare you come into this office and bark at me like some little junkyard dog? I am the President of the United States!

(Clear and Present Danger).

But, I am also looking forward to season 2 of small screen Jack Ryan. Good job, Amazon!

Fan of Tom Clancy.

#619 raypin, Sep 16, 2018 at 2:07 AM
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 at 2:18 AM
    jillsingian likes this.
  20. Mykolant

^Haha, yeah, Harrison Ford was great although maybe a tad too old to be playing Jack Ryan in "Clear..." Ok pa sya in "Patriot Games"

He would be perfect, though, playing the character in the later novels, like "Debt of Honor" and "Executive Orders" when Jack Ryan suddenly becomes POTUS in a scenario similar to the premise of "Designated Survivor."

My all-time fave was Alec Baldwin in "Hunt for Red Oktober". The Jack Ryan I least liked was Ben Affleck in "The Sum of All Fears." Chris Pine in "Shadow Recruit" was just "ok".

John Krasinki, I think, does a good job as the present-day iteration of the Jack Ryan character -- re-imagined and re-tooled to fit the current times.

How I wish someone would have the gana to reboot the character and produce films based exactly on how Tom Clancy wrote it in his books, and with the movies coming out in chronological order as the books. That would be a hoot --- for old fans like you and me maybe.

Theus and raypin like this.