The TV Series Discussion Thread (WARNING: Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by ronnel0918, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

American Gods

Just started watching. Can't wait for the next episodes. Now gonna start reading the book.

rdy0329, jillsingian and Sunil_K like this.
  2. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    maybe everyone's watching TV that's why they hardly have time to post here....

Sunil_K likes this.
  3. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

^LOL!

This heat is too much.. been binge watching na lang Netflix's "Feed the Beast".

While waiting for the next episodes of my current faves:
    1.) Billions
    2.) Fargo
    3.) Better Call Saul

Sunil_K likes this.
  4. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

The Handmaid's Tale

Watched all four episodes so far. It's a depressing take on what the US could be if the extreme Republican right get their way, all the way. It's resounding in today's world, because you've got Bible thumping white supremacists in the White House right this very minute. I hope the US takes a page from the 1985 book and realizes that that dystopian world of Gilead could happen to them before they realized it, just like in the show. Extremism is not all that surprising given US history. America was treading that path before the civil rights movement put a stop to it. But the extreme right is making a comeback.

In today's news, women still get paid half of what men get, reproductive rights are decided by white men in congress, women are objectified, sexually harassed in schools, the workplace and in the streets.

Sounds like the prequel to Handmaid's Tale.

#504 Godfather, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
  5. mysterio

mysterio PhilMUG Addict Member

Watching the current episodes of three shows, I came across a sort of six degrees of separation between the shows.
    Arrow - Oliver tells Thea that they can live their own lives different from what their parents turned out.
    Blindspot - Weller tells Jane that she can choose to be her own person irregardless of how horrible her mother and brother are. Shepard is planning to replace the current government with a set of designates.
    Designated Survivor - The title says it all. LOL

6. GilGrissom

GilGrissom Well-Known Member

I am 3 episodes into Nat Geo's Genius. Interesting to see Albert Einstein's life behind his famous equation.

7. mysterio

Back to the three series, I am eagerly awaiting the season finale for all of them of course, but Designated Survivor is my most anticipated. How will they end the series? I'm sure they will get Hannah back as nothing would get done if the lead (well only) investigator was still missing. But I don't think that's much of a cliffhanger ending. My bet is that Jason Atwood did not die in vain. ;) I do hope the show gets picked up for a second season, although signs point to the likelihood that it is based on news about the new showrunner for Season 2 (has helmed The Good Wife, I heard a good series itself, so that's promising).

Blindspot gets renewed by NBC for 3rd season. Yay! That last episode was riveting with some major reveals on the plot. On the flip side, Timeless gets cancelled by the same network. Boo. It's not like NBC had too many time travel series (only 1), compared to the numerous Chicago series; they currently have 4 (Police, Fire, Medical, Justice). Ugh. What's next, Chicago City Hall? :p

greta87 likes this.
  8. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

Just finished the season finale of riverdale... heavy

9. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

any idea if blacklist got axed?

10. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

zagu likes this.
  11. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I hear you.

We men are more inclined to The Hands' Tale.

Sunil_K and Godfather like this.
  12. sabsar

sabsar Well-Known Member

Master of None Season 2

hitme64 and greta87 like this.
  13. mysterio

Enjoyed the finale of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. as well as Designated Survivor. In related news, both shows have been green lighted to continue for another season. :D

Theus likes this.
  14. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

no one is excited for The Flash finale? :)

hitme64 likes this.
  15. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

Finally caught up on Better Call Saul and Fargo so I started watching this.

I like it so far. The cinematography is very dramatic, kinda reminds me of how Hannibal's "in-between-scenes" were done. The story is intriguing now, I just had to get over that first episode introduction. Also, Ian McShane delivers a really cool performance in his role as Mr. Wednesday.

Update:
    So I just read up on info about the show.. Bryan Fuller who wrote for Hannibal is one of the creators of the show. No wonder the show has the same dramatic scenes and music.

#515 jcsantamarina, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Godfather, rdy0329 and Sunil_K like this.
  16. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

I really liked the cinematography and the way they tell the story. I have to agree its kinda slow but I think it's done deliberately to give their characters depth. It's streaming on Amazon Prime if you live outside US albeit censored to an extent with regards to the sex scenes (bummer?) But most of the scene are really well thought out and serve its purpose to move the story forward.

17. mysterio

I just found out that the Taken TV series has been renewed for a 2nd season of 16 episodes by NBC. :)

hitme64 and Sunil_K like this.
  18. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Reviving this thread to keep discussing TV series in general, regardless whether it's from Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc.

Re-activated our Netflix account for a 30-day free trial using my daughter's name, and promptly started watching Star Trek: Discovery. The whole family got hooked after the first episode! My daughters love the hardcore female leads -- great to see Michelle Yeoh onscreen again.

We're lining up the ff shows for the Christmas holidays, which is summer break in our part of the world:

Stranger Things 2
    Godless
    Orphan Black
    Designated Survivor
    Chef's Table 3

hitme64, Sunil_K and ronjet like this.
  19. neilph

neilph Member

Guys, check out The Good Doctor. :)

hitme64 likes this.
  20. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

I finished watching The Wire.

Many have called it the greatest/best TV show of all time. They won't get any arguments from me.

In fact it doesn't feel like a TV show. It doesn't feel scripted, directed, acted, shot. It's even been compared to a Dickens or Dostoyevsky novel, such is the complexity and depth of the show. It contains more philosophy in one season than you might study in university.

Many of the actors have never been better than they are in The Wire, including Aiden Gillen, the actor who plays Littlefinger in GOT, Frankie Faison of Banshee, Wendell Pierce of Suits, Dominic West of The Affair, Michael Kenneth Williams of Boardwalk Empire... perhaps the only exception is Idris Elba, who was better in Luther.

hitme64 likes this.